News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Verizon Porting Experiences

Started by nedjinski, January 18, 2012, 10:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedjinski

what I have:

Verizon landline - (I live in an area where Verizon is the only carrier and has just started cell service).

what I want to do:

port (keep) my landline number to Google Voice and use an Obihai 110.

so from what I read the only way to do this is:

get a Verizon cell phone -

port my landline number to the new cell phone -

port my cell phone number (which is now my old landline number that I want to keep) to Google Voice -

setup Obihai with Google Voice which becomes my new landline with my original landline number -

get a new account with Verizon for the cell phone (which I am assuming would be deactivated) -

add the new cell phone number to the Google Voice account so that it rings when someone calls the landline -

this all sounds doable (and convoluted but that's the way it is - right?)

questions about Verizon costs -

will Verizon charge me for every change and porting and for the renewal of the cell phone account after it's been deactivated by the porting to GV?

how can I minimize my costs of this whole process?

carl

If Verizon is the ONLY cellular carrier in your area then you will have no other choice .

jimates

Use a prepaid service. If you use Verizon post paid they will likely charge an activation fee for the account. And when the number is ported out the account will be closed and early termination fees will apply.

If you have Verizon service in your area then a Tracfone will work there.

donslade

Try to find a used Verizon phone for cheap.  Craigslist, ebay, flea market.  That way you can get a pre-paid account without a contract or the expense of a pre-paid phone.

I used T-Mobile since it is a GSM system and you can find cheap GSM phones very easy and usually much cheaper than a Verizon CDMA phone.