Favorite OBi Tricks

(1/8) > >>

NerdUno:
We think we've found the perfect setup for our new OBi. The device itself is registered with Google Voice which lets you make and receive calls from your home or office. Now add Google Voice to your favorite iPhone or Nexus phone and register it with the same Google Voice account. Be sure to register your cellphone as a destination in your Google Voice account. Now, whenever you make a call from your desk or your cellphone, the call will go out with your Google Voice number as the CallerID. And, when folks call you back, both your cellphone and your desktop phone connected to the OBi will ring which lets you answer the calls wherever you happen to be.

biomesh:
My favorite tricks so far:

- using digit maps and converting star codes that are easy for me to remember those that the VOIP provider uses.  I.e. convert *255 (blk) to *27 or *732 (rec) to *28.

- being able to use single stage dialing from Obiapp to call from my computer's softphone and also forking incoming calls from my Obi110 to my softphone with the Obiapp.

AmigaDude:
Good point NerdUno -

I've been doing this (w/o the Obi) for the past year on my Blackberry.  ;)
What might be worth highlighting though, is that under GV settings you MUST select your Mobile# and Google Chat to get the simultaneous ringing.  In addition, you SHOULD logout of Google Chat on Gmail to prevent conflicts.  Finally, I don't know how it works on iPhone / Nexus but on the BB you have to make a conscious choice to make a GV call else it goes out as a usual mobile call

It is very handy though!!

dirk101:
All right here's my setup.

My goal was to have my business phone ring on my iPhone. I wanted the incoming calls to come in over voip as I don't have very good service inside my building. When I made an outgoing call I wanted my land line phone number and name to show up. I wasn't trying for free but I wanted it to be reasonable for me.

I tried Skype, Talkatone for google voice and the Obion app. All of them had severe limitations Skype had good quality but the interface didn't work for me. Also it was so locked in I couldn't even turn off the voicemail. Talkatone had a lot of promise but I just couldn't get good call quality. The obion app…. well you know the story there.
 After some research I ended up with Bria for the iphone for $9.00 and voip.ms as my provider. I chose voip.ms because it was one of the obi110 preconfigured providers and they had a server near me. The rates were reasonable as well.

The obi110 is perfect for this combo. I set up sub accounts with extension numbers at voip.ms. One for the obi and one for the iphone.  The land line rings and hands it over to SP1 which in turn connects it to the iphone as an extension. This is important as calls between extensions are free. The caller id name and number are passed along as well. So all my incoming business calls are free.

I set up my sub account with the iphone to display my business phone number and I think Bria handles my company name because there's a field in setup for "display name". So when I make a call my caller id from my business shows up.

So here are my obi settings:

Under physical interfaces/ Line/ Line Port/Inboundcallroute I have {ph,SP1(101@yourserver.voip.ms)}  101 being my extension number for the iphone.
Under ITSP Profile A SIP  I have X_SpoofCallerID checked.

On the voip.ms sub account for the obi i have the caller id field blank which allows the obi to pass along the caller id from the inbound call.

So far this is working out really well except I still have to figure out the call waiting with Bria. When a new call comes in on the land line I get an audible notification on the iphone but there is no way to switch to the call. the only way I can answer it is to hang up with the other call.

If I get it figured out I edit the post.

Derek

jimates:
If you try to use the same softphone number on multiple endpoints, only the last one to sign into the Obitalk server will work. Also if you try to use multiple Obi's with the same Google Voice account, only the last one to register on Google's server will receive calls.

This process will allow you to have multiple endpoints with the same default gateway. That allows you to direct dial from multiple endpoints through the same Obi. By adjusting your InboundCallRoute for the Obitalk Service you can direct different softphones to different SP Services, you do not have to use the line that is set as default for the Obi's outgoing calls.
I set up a new Obitalk account and added a Obi110 to it. I then set the Obi110 as the default gateway for the Obitalk softphone. I set up a google account on Sp2. Then I removed the Obi110 from the account.

I set up another new Obitalk account and added the same Obi110 to it. Then I set the Obi110 as the default gateway for the Obitalk softphone in the 2nd account. I set up 2 google voice accounts on SP1 & SP2. SP1 as default line.

My new Obitalk Service InboundCallRoute looked like this {(290xxxxxx)>(xx.):SP1},{(290xxxxxx):aa},{ph}

10 digit dialing from the Android app for the 2nd Obitalk # worked great, and calls go out on SP1

I then edited the Obitalk Service InboundCallRoute. I added a rule for the Obitalk softphone # from the 1st Obitalk account, to use SP2.

{(290xxxxxx)>(xx.):SP1},{(290yyyyyy)>(xx.):SP2},{(290xxxxxx|290yyyyyy):ph},{ph}

10 diigit dialing from the iPhone app for the 1st Obitalk number works great also, and calls go out on SP2

So my kids now have one Obi110 with 2 google voice accounts. And 2 Obion apps, both with direct dialing through the same gateway, but different Google Voice accounts.

Now, if they would just fix the caller id pass through for the Obitalk Service.
NOTE: caller id fix is supposed to come with firmware 1.3, soon.

Note: I also edited the "aa" to "ph" in the call route so all calls from the 2 apps ring the phone instead of the auto attendant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page