News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 causing Motorola SB941 modem/router to "crash" randomly?

Started by WayneB, January 19, 2012, 06:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneB

A couple of weeks ago I purchased an Obi110 and was able to get it working fine with Google Voice when connected to one of the four ports on a Motorola SBG941, a combined cable modem, 4-port router and 802.11b/g wireless access point. (This is in a rental condo, so I don't have directly control over the Motorola unit.) The problem is that the SBG941 now seems to lose internet connectivity every 8 - 12 hours, although it is still possible to connect to the unit itself. I need to power down/power up the SBG941 to regain internet access, which is a real pain.

I've seen reports of a similar problem with a different Motorola router/wireless access point, but I could not find any resolution for this problem. Any ideas on how/why the Obi110 could be causing the router to lose internet access???

Many thanks,
Wayne

Stewart

Possibly, setting the OBi Ethernet port to full duplex will help.

To force OBi to 100Mbit/Full duplex:
Pick up phone, press *** 0 option 27#, press 1, value=1#, press 1 to save, then hang up phone.
If done correctly, the link light on the modem for the OBi's port should change from amber to green.

Ask the cable company to upgrade the modem firmware to the latest version, if that is not currently installed.

If the above doesn't help, you might find a clue as to what has gone wrong by examining the modem's status pages (after connectivity lost and before rebooting).

The Status Configuration Page of the modem has a Reboot button, which may regain access without having to cycle power.

WayneB

Stewart, Thanks for the suggestions! I've turned on Full Duplex, but it will take a little time to see if that helps. Also, I checked the log on the Motorola modem/router and it seems to be failing with the error message "DHCP FAILED - Requested info not supported". If the Motorola unit goes down again I'll check the log to make SURE that is the actual error associated with the "crash". In the meantime, does this error suggest any other cause of my problem? Thanks, Wayne

WayneB

Stewart,

Well, I've done some more testing after setting the Obi110 to full duplex and it still seems that the Obi is causing the Motorola modem/router to lose the internet connection after 12-24 hours. (It is still possible to access the Motorola unit, there is just no internet access.) The two messages logged by the Motorola that MAY be related to the problem are:

TVL-11 - unrecognized OID
DHCP FAILED - Requested info not supported

I suspect the second message, since it is listed as a CRITICAL error while the first message seems to be INFORMATIONAL.

I'm not sure to do next, but I can't really leave the Obi110 connected if it continues to cause this problem (which prevents any internet access until I reboot the modem/router). Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Wayne

Stewart

Try setting the OBi to use a static IP address, so it won't be doing any DHCP requests.

The address needs to be in the same subnet but outside the range assigned by the modem's DHCP.

For example, in System Management -> Network Settings -> Internet Settings:

AddressingType: Static
IPAddress: 192.168.0.2
SubnetMask: 255.255.255.0
DefaultGateway: 192.168.0.1
DNSServer1: 8.8.8.8
DNSServer2: 4.2.2.2

The above assumes that the modem is set up as shown in the manual -- Check the Basic DHCP Page to make sure.

If the address is not set correctly, you could lose control of the OBi.  If this happens, turn DHCP back on via the IVR option 3; see page 20 of admin guide.  Then reboot your OBi and it should be back on line.  If that fails, you may have to do a factory reset (with a paper clip).

ProfTech

Once you determine what the IP address of the Obi is by using the phone handset you should always be able to access the unit by connecting your computer directly to the Obi using a crossover cable. Simply set your PC IP address to one away from the Obi. i.e. if the Obi is 192.168.20.29 then use 192.168.20.28 in your computer. Then Browse using Internet Explorer to http://192.168.20.29 and make whatever changes you need to.