News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setup Obi110 with OOMA

Started by sanxxx, January 19, 2012, 01:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanxxx

I have OOMA basic and Obi110.

I want to have the following setup. Has anyone tried this before? Can you share the steps and configs? Basically I am trying to get OOMA premier features using GV.

•   Continue to use my OOMA phona number as my called ID.
•   All incoming calls to my OOMA number or my GV number ring all the phones in my house.
•   Make all outgoing calls primary using OOMA.
•   Use GV as my second phone line when needed.
•   Use GV as voicemail for both lines, to leverage the voice to text and other GV features.
•   Use GV to use the call filtering features.

RonR

Quote from: sanxxx on January 19, 2012, 01:17:19 PM
•   Continue to use my OOMA phona number as my called ID.

Calling through Ooma will continue to use the Ooma phone number for it's CallerID.  You would have to port your Ooma phone number to Google Voice in order to have Google Voice use it for its CalerID.  This would terminate your Ooma service in the process, of course.

•   All incoming calls to my OOMA number or my GV number ring all the phones in my house.

The will happen by default if the Ooma PHONE Port is connected to the OBi LINE Port.

•   Make all outgoing calls primary using OOMA.

The will happen by default if the Ooma PHONE Port is connected to the OBi LINE Port.

•   Use GV as my second phone line when needed.

Simply dial **1 + number and calls will use the Google Voice trunk instead of the OBi.

•   Use GV as voicemail for both lines, to leverage the voice to text and other GV features.

The only way to accomplish this is to have your Ooma phone number forwarded to your Google Voice number.

•   Use GV to use the call filtering features.

The only way to accomplish this is to have your Ooma phone number forwarded to your Google Voice number.

makitso

RonR,

Thanks for the post.  I have my Ooma connected to the Obi110 as suggested and it works find.  The only problem is that after dialing a phone number, it takes about 10 seconds for a ring to start.  If I use the Obi options, e.g. **1 and then the phone number, the ring starts immediately.  Any way to adjust this?

RonR

Quote from: makitso on March 24, 2012, 06:01:57 AM
I have my Ooma connected to the Obi110 as suggested and it works find.  The only problem is that after dialing a phone number, it takes about 10 seconds for a ring to start.  If I use the Obi options, e.g. **1 and then the phone number, the ring starts immediately.  Any way to adjust this?

The problem is likely the LINE Port DigitMap.  Select the most applicable one from these choices:

LINE Port DigitMap for areas with 7- and 11-digit dialing:
(10-digit numbers will be extended to 11-digits by adding a leading 1)

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:

([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

LINE Port DigitMap for areas with 7-, 10-, and 11-digit dialing:

([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

LINE Port DigitMap for areas with 10- and 11-digit dialing:

([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

LINE Port DigitMap for areas with 11-digit dialing:
(10-digit numbers will be extended to 11-digits by adding a leading 1)

([2-9]11S0|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

In all cases, dialing # after the last digit will tell the OBi the end of the number has been reached and calling may begin.

makitso

QuoteIn all cases, dialing # after the last digit will tell the OBi the end of the number has been reached and calling may begin.

I wondered about what that was for.  However, getting my wife to end a phone number with a # would be impossible.  Any way to tell the Obi that all numbers are 10 digits?  Or, can the time setting be reduced -- now it's about 20 seconds between the last digit of the number and the first ring.

RonR

The following will begin dialing immediately after the 10th digit is entered (with no leading 1 will be added):

([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx)

makitso

OK, went into browser and into the device admin screen.  Selected user settings, User defined digital maps.
Entered ([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.) into digital map2 and did a reboot.  No difference.  Is there something else that needs to be done?

RonR

You should be changing:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap

unless you have it set to reference User Defined Digit Map2.

If you're making changes in the OBi directly, also remember to set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

or the OBiTALK Web Portal will overwrite your changes with its settings.

makitso

Oooooh, tricky.  This is not for the faint of heart.

Your suggestions solved the problem, many thanks.

makitso

BTW, could this change [ ([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx) ] have been made through the Obi portal instead?  I assume that would be a preferred method?

RonR

Quote from: makitso on March 25, 2012, 07:04:28 AM
BTW, could this change [ ([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx) ] have been made through the Obi portal instead?  I assume that would be a preferred method?

Yes, but I find it much quicker and simpler to configure the OBi directly.  The OBiTALK Web Portal would not provide any advantage in this case and would have been a more involved process.

makitso

OK, many thanks.  I started with Vonage in 2006, switched to Ooma in 2012.  OBi is lightyears ahead of those technologies.   :)

MichiganTelephone

Don't be easily talked out of using the OBiTALK portal by someone else, just because they prefer not to use it.  There are many advantages to using the OBiTALK portal, especially if you ever find that you need to make a configuration change to your OBi device while you are not at home (or wherever your device is physically located).  Also, in my opinion it's a lot easier to set up Service Provider settings for supported VoIP providers using the portal, since it might catch some of the additional settings you wouldn't know about unless you scoured this forum looking for threads on that specific provider.  I'm not suggesting that someone should not configure their device manually if that's what they really want to do, and know what they are giving up by not using the portal, but I do think that one should not do it just because someone else on a forum prefers to do it that way on their devices.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

makitso

OK, I have about 1 month experience with my Ooma/Obi configuration -- Ooma phone port connected to line port on the Obi, all phones in the home connected to the Ooma. Google voice set to ring both Ooma number and cell number.  I use the **1 Obi google voice number for outbound 877 conference calls. 

-  Had about 3 dropped calls this month.
-  Voice clarity and delay are noticeably better on the Obi number than the Ooma number.
-  Inbound google voice calls would ring Ooma and cell.  But when the Ooma line picked up could not hear caller.  Reset Obi and this problem went away.
-  Inbound calls placed to the google voice # do not come through when I am on the Obi number -- just rings.

My expectations were to be able to have a second line for outbound calls.  But when on an Obi call (**1)  my wife use the Oooma number.  But, when she picks up the phone she can near me.  I am sure my configuration is not right.

So, I probably need to separate the Ooma and Obi into two separate systems, both connected to the router and then have my office phone with two separate physical lines,one to the Obi and one to OOma.

Am I missing something?

PS:  MichiganTelephone - I don't switch solution easily. One of the guys in our computer club was trying it Obi about 3 months ago.  Since I had Ooma and it was working well, I passed it buy.  But, when my OOma box failed after 20 months and then I was faced with a $180 hardware purchase I looked again.  However, wife wanted her existing line (non-transferrable) so I got the Obi for a second line for my office. 

jimates

Although the Obi supports several different configurations for many providers, it only supports one call session at a time from the phone port.

If you split the line from the Ooma to the Obi you could then use the Obi phone port for a call on one of the Obi's SP services, and at the same time use the Ooma from one of the phones connected to it ahead of the Obi.