News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Physically Moving my OBI 100 to a new location/ new IP

Started by JTHale, January 19, 2012, 01:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTHale

Hello,
I'm fairly new, but configured everything quite easily using your great instructions for GV and the OBITALK webpages.

Problem is that I configured at work, thinking I could take it home and simply plug it in for it to work there also (that the OBI 100 would be recognized by the hardware ID).  Although I had a dialtone, when attempting to make a call, I get an error message that the service is not available.

Is the above even possible, or do I need to login to OBITalk to reestablish presence of the unit?

I am asking because I want to set up a second OBI 100 and was hoping to mail it to a very computer-inept person and was hoping to create an easy 'plug-and-play' situation for them.

Thanks,
JTH

RonR

Assuming you have not configured the OBi for a static IP address (i.e. you're using DHCP which is the default), you should be able to freely move the OBi from ISP to ISP.  People frequently configure an OBi in one country and send it to another without any need for reconfiguration.

The OBiTALK Web Portal does not participate in making or receiving calls.  It's only purpose is remote configuration of the OBi.

hwittenb

It's true that often there is no problem, however the OBi attaches to an ethernet router and different routers can sometimes operate differently.  Some routers have strong firewalls that need to have features disabled.  With others on the OBi you may need to enable NAT Mapping and a stun server setting to assist in determining the external ip address and port number.