News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple phones?

Started by karlboer, January 21, 2012, 09:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlboer

Is it possible to connect multiple phones to a single OBi110 using a phone line splitter?

Stewart

Sure, but you can use only one at a time, unless they are participating in the same call.  If connecting more than 3, confirm that the total REN is less than 5.  The REN for each phone should be printed on the bottom of the unit.

karlboer

OK.  Here's what happened.  I plugged the phone line directly into the line port of the OBi110, then connected a string of three other phones into the phone port of the OBi110.  Total REN is less than 3.  No dial tone.  If I unplug any of the individual phones in the string and plug them directly into the phone port of the OBi110, the dial tone returns. If I plug the string of three directly into the phone line (in the wall) they all work fine, with no problems.

Suggestions?

bitstopjoe

Why not just get a DECT 6 cordless phone with 4 or 5 handsets and call it a day???
Plug the base into the OBi and place the handsets throught the home. Problem solved.

Just my 2 cents

Joe Sica

karlboer

Hmmm.  It's tempting, but my wife has a headset that she loves to use around the house that would not work with this phone.  I'll need to chew on it a bit.

bitstopjoe

My headset works just fine with my Uniden 4 phone cordless system on my OBi.
What kind of headset is she using that would not work on another phone?

Joe Sica

karlboer

http://www.amazon.com/GN-Netcom-9330-USB-convertible/dp/B000IBNMAG

It plugs into the receiver side of a corded phone.  I have the corded headset that plugs into my wireless phone.  She is not a big fan of the one that I have.

bitstopjoe

Seems odd to me, actually ironic, a cordless headset needs to be attacted to a corded phone :)
Since I dont have it in my hands ( damn the reviews on Amazon suck for the price they want for it) I can't believe it can not be attacted to the base of a cordless phone system. I will just have to take your word it won't work with that set-up.

Joe Sica

RevKev

Okay, so 1 phone works and 3 phones doesn't. Does 2? Any chance one of the phones (or the wiring) is bad?

jimates

Quote from: bitstopjoe on January 22, 2012, 06:14:26 AM
Seems odd to me, actually ironic, a cordless headset needs to be attacted to a corded phone :)
Since I dont have it in my hands ( damn the reviews on Amazon suck for the price they want for it) I can't believe it can not be attacted to the base of a cordless phone system. I will just have to take your word it won't work with that set-up.

Joe Sica

It plugs into the jack on the phone where the corded handset connects. When that particular phone goes off hook the wireless headset is used.

karlboer,
You can still connect her corded phone to the Obi along with any other phones via of a splitter or by connecting your existing home wiring to the Obi.

What exactly do you mean by "a string of 3 phones"?

karlboer

I tried plugged it into the box in the basement (straight from verizon).  Then I cut a phone extension cord in half, and wired the center two wires to the rest of the house at the punch block, tested it, and plugged it into the phone port on the OBi110 (making sure that verizon is disconnected from the rest of the house at the panel). 

I have three other phones in the house and all use less than 3 REN combined. 

When the above was done, there was no dial tone on any of the phones.  When I unplugged the house, and plugged the individual phones into the OBi, they each worked fine.  I have tested and re-tested the wiring in the house, with no problems.  When I plug verizon back into the rest of the house, all works fine.  It seems to be the OBi not being able to supply enough signal to drive the house lines.

On Monday, I am going to get some RJ11 connecters from Lowes, and make up my own patch cable to do some more testing.  Something just isn't right.

bitstopjoe

It plugs into the jack on the phone where the corded handset connects. When that particular phone goes off hook the wireless headset is used.

[/quote]

I have a Uniden cordless setup where the base HAS a corded phone attached ( for use during a power outage, or in place of a cordless handset). I wonder if her headset would work.. If so it is a win win for you...

Joe Sica