News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Use outside of the USA

Started by orybrowne, January 23, 2012, 01:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orybrowne

I live in Chile (South America). I have a cell phone.
In-network calls are usually .25cents (American) a minute.
Out-of-network calls are double, triple and sometimes much more. IT IS RIDICULOUS.

Currently I use my GV in gmail (making calls on my computer) to make calls for .02cents to .10cents a minute to cell phones and landlines here in Chile. A great savings. However, I have to use my computer to make the calls.

I am interested in OBi to make cheap calls from Chile to other Chile numbers so as to bypass the costs of using a phone here.

- I am optimistic in using OBi but will it work for me?
- Can I use google voice?
- Can Chilean numbers be able to call me, if yes... will they need to call my US google number or is there a Chilean number they will use?
- Are there other costs to making these calls (connection charge, etc)?
- What will the rates be?
- Do I have to use Google voice or skype or is this a standalone system?

Thanks for your help!
p.s. I do I create a new post?

yhfung

Depending on which way you go, there are numbers of way to do it.

1. Internet Access - 3G or WiFi
If you have a mobile smart cell phone, then you could install some VoIP software such as Bria from CounterPath, OBiON Android or iPhone. You must have a 3G plan such that you mobile could access the Internet if you do not have the WiFi access.

2. OBi110 Gateway
With OBi110 Gateway installed somewhere in Chile, you are able to access the services provided by OBi110  remotely via your Smart Phone.

Chilean DID
You have find out the cheapest DID that you could obtain in your place such that whenever your friend in Chile could call your DIDI.

Skype Gateway
Depending on your knowledge, you may make use of the Skype function to make or receive calls. The Skype Gateway may be implemented on a Asterisk box.

Since I am not familiar with the VoIP used in your place, you have to check it yourself. Before choosing any way to do it, you must have as much as VoIP knowledge such that you can find the cheapest and reliable means to do it.

YH

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

lhm.

Localphone.com

Chile Local DID area code 42 is $10 per month, no setup fee until Feb 6 2012
Landlines   Santiago   1.5¢
All Other Landlines   2.2¢
Rural   39¢
Easter Island   45¢
Mobiles   All Networks   16.8¢
Special Services   All Numbers   99¢

hwittenb

orybrowne,

The OBi should work well for you in Chile.  GoogleVoice should work well for you on the OBi although I believe it is recommended that you obtain a 2d separate GV account to run on the OBi because you can encounter problems if the single account is registered on both the OBi and your computer at the same time.

The OBi allows you to setup, in addition to your GV account, a regular (sip protocol) voip account.  This is what I would use if you wish to have a Chilean local number.  As previously mentioned LocalPhone has Chilean DID's available in 12 cities for USD $10/month, Anveo has DID's in 21 cities for $6.35 or $7.50 per month, and CallCentric has DID's in 12 cities for $8.95 per month.  All of these are for unlimited incoming calls without per minute charge.  These are local Chilean phone numbers in the listed cities and people can call you on one of these numbers as a local call to them.

The OBi also lets you setup additional outgoing only voip providers if you wish.  There are a few providers that offer lower per minute prices to Chilean cell phones than GoogleVoice's 10c/minute. The most reasonable rates I've found to Chilean cell phones are at  Future-Nine (2.5c), CallWithUs (2.2626c), and Voip.ms (3.92c).

I would try out different providers to find the one with the best voice quality and reliability.  

RedVoiss is a local Chilean voip provider to also consider, although their web site doesn't seem to indicate that they provide incoming numbers.