News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

help getting started

Started by RalphOBi, January 24, 2012, 05:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RalphOBi

I have the OBi110 with SP1/SP2 linked to GV accounts and LINE connected in-line with my home telephone wiring and satellite phone system.  I have PHONE connected to a phone but it's in a closet and probably not needed to ring.  I also use an OBiON client to make gateway calls via Wi-Fi.  I am running the default OBiTALK settings with SP1 as Phone PrimaryLine and Attendant PrimaryLine.  While I still maintain my landline service, I think I would like to have:

-- Incoming calls to SP1 (or SP2) and LINE to ring LINE only.
-- Voicemail for SP1 and LINE to use SP1 Voicemail (GV), and SP2 to SP2 Voicemail (GV).
-- All outgoing calls (i.e., through LINE) to use SP1 (however dialed)

I'm guessing this is a trivial set-up but I keep getting caught-up in the new terms and more complicated requests by other forum users.  I think I just need a little nudge or insight (beyond the manual) to get started on this.

Thank you in advance.

RonR

Quote from: RalphOBi on January 24, 2012, 05:39:46 PM
-- Incoming calls to SP1 (or SP2) and LINE to ring LINE only.

By default, all incoming calls (SP1/SP2/OBiTALK/LINE) ring the OBi PHONE Port.  The OBi cannot ring the LINE Port.

-- Voicemail for SP1 and LINE to use SP1 Voicemail (GV), and SP2 to SP2 Voicemail (GV).

Each Google Voice account has its own voicemail and cannot be changed.  The only way to get calls to your PSTN number to use Google Voice voicemail would be to have your PSTN provider forward all incoming calls to your Google Voice (SP1) number.

-- All outgoing calls (i.e., through LINE) to use SP1 (however dialed)

By default, outgoing calls use the trunk selected by:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : (SP1 Service/SP2 Service/OBiTALK Service/PSTN Line)

To use a different trunk, prefix the number with:

**1  ->  SP1
**2  ->  SP2
**8  ->  LINE
**9  ->  OBiTALK

RalphOBi

I guess I was a bit off in my understanding of this ...

It seems my system will be more interesting after porting and disabling my landline, thus, being able to use the PHONE Port with my home wiring more effectively.  Also, I'll need to understand what a "trunk" is sooner than later.

Thank you for the reply.

RevKev

QuoteI have the OBi110 with SP1/SP2 linked to GV accounts and LINE connected in-line with my home telephone wiring and satellite phone system.  I have PHONE connected to a phone but it's in a closet and probably not needed to ring.  I also use an OBiON client to make gateway calls via Wi-Fi.  I am running the default OBiTALK settings with SP1 as Phone PrimaryLine and Attendant PrimaryLine.
So far so good. By default, all of your outbound calls go out over SP1. Any incoming calls ring the phone (in the closet).

Quote-- Incoming calls to SP1 (or SP2) and LINE to ring LINE only.
Doesn't make  sense. LINE doesn't ring, it's a trunk - calls come in or go out over LINE. Phones ring.
Quote-- Voicemail for SP1 and LINE to use SP1 Voicemail (GV), and SP2 to SP2 Voicemail (GV).
Voicemail is handled by the service provider, not the OBi. Your Google Voice accounts will provide voice mail for SP1 and SP2. You may be able to have Google Voice voice mail handle your LINE calls by forking your LINE calls through SP2 to SP1 - but you'll lose the caller id. All of your messages will come from your 2nd GV number.
Quote-- All outgoing calls (i.e., through LINE) to use SP1 (however dialed)
By definition, outgoing calls through LINE use LINE. You can make the default trunk SP1 (which I think you said you did) So all outgoing calls from your phone go out through GV on SP1.

LINE - the line coming into your house. Could be a POTS line from a telco, a cable VoIP line, or another service like Vonage.
PHONE - the device you pick up to dial or answer a call. Also, the OBiON app is a software phone.
SP1/2 - service provider 1/2. Similar to LINE except it connects to a VoIP service (like Google Voice or a SIP provider) via your internet connection.

LINE, SP1, and SP2 are trunks (calls come in/go out over a trunk). You can also create trunk groups that are any combination of LINE/SP1/SP2 (in which case the OBi will use the first available).