News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

My OBi110 setup with Google Voice & Alarm System Works but other problems

Started by kenobi, January 25, 2012, 10:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenobi

Hello,

I have the OBi110 setup with GV as SP1 and Callcentric as SP2 for E911. I also ported my former AT&T PSTN phone # over to Google Voice (using the port to Go Phone to GV approach)

I was also able to get my Alarm monitoring service to work, but only if I use set DTMF to Inband for GV.

The only real problem I have now is when I call my own phone number from a phone in the house to listen to voicemail, GV does not register any key press I make on the phone.

Does anyone have any ideas of any other configuration I need to do so I can get the google voice mail system to recognize key presses when using Inband for the DTMF method, which I need for my alarm system to work?

Thanks.

RonR

Try instead:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DTMFMethod : Auto

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF : (checked)

kenobi

Ron, R I should have stated that I tried 'Auto' for the DTMF method as you have stated.

Problem was that the alarm monitoring did not work using Auto. My alarm system (DSC Power 832) uses the 'ContactID' protocol.

RonR

Stewart

ContactID sends 10 digits per second (50 ms on, 50 ms off), so RFC2833 won't work.

Possible solutions:

Use Callcentric for the alarm calls.  They won't be free, but if it's just a weekly test that's no big deal.  If you have the alarm report every opening and closing, you might try another path, e.g. SIPBroker or Tollfreegateway (assuming that the central station is a toll-free number).  I'd be concerned, though, that it would be less reliable; you could use the direct CC path for the backup number (if your panel has such).  I hope that your system has cellular backup, too.  IMO naked VoIP is not reliable enough for an alarm system.  See my comments in
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25200984-Is-Voipo.com-compatible-with-a-Brinks-alarms-system .

Alternatively, you could use Callcentric or another service to call into GV.  If that's too pricey, perhaps Localphone via iNum would work ($0.005/min.)

kenobi

Regarding "But did you try Auto + X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF?" Yes

Furthermore, with Auto + X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF, Google Voice voicemail would recognize my keypresses on the touch tone phone, but as I stated earlier, the Alarm monitoring company would not get a good signal.

Since the phone # for the alarm monitoring service is fixed, I wonder if an OBi110 setup be done to force the OBi110 to use Inband DTMF for that call only?

RonR

Is the number for the alarm monitoring service a toll free (800/888/877/866/855) number?

kenobi

Re "Is the number for the alarm monitoring service a toll free (800/888/877/866/855) number?" I believe so, but I'm at work and have no way to verify it right now.

If it is '800/888/877/866/855', what would you propose?

kenobi

@Stewart, thanks for the suggestions.

I thought about using CallCentric for the alarm, but I wanted to first see if the current issue could be resolved somehow.
The GV voicemail issue is  also not too much of a deal breaker anyway as I have other ways to retrieve GV voicemails (e.g. via the cellphone or website)

I don't have cellular backup, but I also didn't have a cellular backup when I only had the POTS line. I might look into that if it's not too much $$$.

I agree with you about properly connecting the OBi to the RJ31X jack...that is how mine is connected.

RonR

Quote from: kenobi on January 25, 2012, 12:09:19 PM
Re "Is the number for the alarm monitoring service a toll free (800/888/877/866/855) number?" I believe so, but I'm at work and have no way to verify it right now.

You can look in the OBi Call History and see what was sent to Google Voice.

Quote from: kenobi on January 25, 2012, 12:09:19 PM
If it is '800/888/877/866/855', what would you propose?

You can have toll free calls routed through IdeaSIP without any charges:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap: (...|(Mvg8)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute : ...,{(Mvg8):vg8},{(Mpli):pli}

Voice Gateway8

Name : Toll Free

AccessNumber : SP2(proxy.ideasip.com)

DigitMap : (18(00|88|77|66|55)xxxxxxx|<1>8(00|88|77|66|55)xxxxxxx)

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> DTMFMethod : InBand

If this works, you can set:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DTMFMethod : Auto

RonR

Quote from: kenobi on January 25, 2012, 12:22:31 PM
The GV voicemail issue is  also not too much of a deal breaker anyway as I have other ways to retrieve GV voicemails (e.g. via the cellphone or website)

You will probably find that InBand will cause you problems sooner or later with other IVR services.

kenobi

@RonR, Yes, I will look in the call log of the OBi for the number. it's just that I had recently cleared it, so I have to generate an alarm event again to capture it.

I have CallCentric on SP2 for E911. The free toll call appraoch that you propose, will that affect my CallCentric setup?

Thanks for all the help. It's a bit harder to setup, but all the community help is why I like this product.

RonR

Quote from: kenobi on January 25, 2012, 12:53:13 PM
I have CallCentric on SP2 for E911. The free toll call appraoch that you propose, will that affect my CallCentric setup?

It shouldn't have any effect, but assuming this approach turns out to be a keeper, I'd make a test call to 911 to make sure.

Calls connected through Callcentric (911) would be using InBand instead of RFC2833 after the call is connected, but you shouldn't be needing or using any DTMF after dialing 911.

kenobi

RonR, I haven't tried the free toll call voice gateway approach, but I did verify that my Alarm System dials a 1-888 toll free number to reach the monitoring station.

One question, as I think I might prefer the OBi just use my callcentric pay per call account for an alarm event (those calls would cost me, but my alarm tripping should hopefully be a rare event, like 911). So the question, what's the config I need to do to have the OBi use callcentric for 911 and for the exact phone number the Alarm System dials?

Thanks.

RonR

For 911 to SP2:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{911:sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

If your alarm system can dial **21888xxxxxxx, that should be all that's needed for its call to go out SP2.  If it doesn't like the asterisks, have it dial 9991888xxxxxxx and set:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<999:**2>xx.|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

Stewart

Your alarm system probably has at least two numbers for the central station.  If one fails, it tries the other.  If you don't have direct access to the panel programming, ask your security company.  The system may be somewhat more robust if the two numbers are routed through different providers.  For testing, you could force a call to the first one to fail, so you can confirm that the backup works as expected.

You panel should make periodic test calls, e.g. weekly, to the monitoring station.  If it fails to communicate, there should be both a local indication (keypad beeping or siren chirping) and a notification from the central station.  Unfortunately, most systems won't inform you that the primary number failed, if the backup works, so you may want to occasionally review the logs.

Rick

Quote from: Stewart on January 26, 2012, 03:35:27 AM
Your alarm system probably has at least two numbers for the central station.  If one fails, it tries the other.  If you don't have direct access to the panel programming, ask your security company.  The system may be somewhat more robust if the two numbers are routed through different providers.  For testing, you could force a call to the first one to fail, so you can confirm that the backup works as expected.

You panel should make periodic test calls, e.g. weekly, to the monitoring station.  If it fails to communicate, there should be both a local indication (keypad beeping or siren chirping) and a notification from the central station.  Unfortunately, most systems won't inform you that the primary number failed, if the backup works, so you may want to occasionally review the logs.

That's a great idea to have each number go through a different provider.

Some alarm companies warn you that, as was noted previously, VOIP is not reliable for quality communications to an alarm system.  Switching to cellular is a good idea, but usually costs more.  Some companies have reliable internet connections setups also.