News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 - release date? will it support two separate voip lines?

Started by aldo, January 27, 2012, 07:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aldo

when will the obi202 be released?

will it support 2 physically separate voip lines?

my wife & i each have separate lines and sometimes use them at the same time.

thanks!

Stewart

The OBi202 has two FXS ports, which could be connected to separate phones, one or more two-line phones, or a two-line multi-handset cordless system.  You can have simultaneous independent calls, using the same or different providers.  I don't know when it will be available.

However, it may not be the best solution for you.  Which service(s) do you have now? Which service(s) do you want for the new system?  What kinds of phones/handsets do you have?

TimDan

Quote from: aldo on January 27, 2012, 07:35:50 PM
will it support 2 physically separate voip lines?

The OBi202 will probably be configured much like the "home adapter" made
available to PhonePower's customers:
http://www.phonepower.com/hardware.aspx  The instructions
imply that the unit is made by Grandstream and that the only physical
difference is that the OBi202 has a USB port, and the implied difference is
that the OBi202 also supports XMPP/Jingle in addition to SIP.

TimDan

Felix

Quote from: TimDan on January 28, 2012, 09:17:41 AM
The OBi202 will probably be configured much like the "home adapter" made
available to PhonePower's customers: http://www.phonepower.com/hardware.aspx  The instructions imply that the unit is made by Grandstream and that the only physical difference is that the OBi202 has a USB port, and the implied difference is that the OBi202 also supports XMPP/Jingle in addition to SIP.

Or, for that matter, to customers of any VoIP company that are using Grandstream HT-502. Not sure how this Phone Power link help answer OP's question - the instructions don't say anything about OBi - let alone, OBi202...

bukzin

I think I read somewhere the new version will also
have a built in router.

Can anyone speak to this as well as a guess
at price and release date?

Thanks!

Felix

bukzin,

The picture on OBihai website (captured in a blog post) certainly leads to this conclusion.

That said, I asked this question on DSLR and here: what is a real-life use case for a router on VoIP adapter? So far, nobody can explain...

N7AS

Quote from: Felix on March 01, 2012, 11:00:22 PM

That said, I asked this question on DSLR and here: what is a real-life use case for a router on VoIP adapter? So far, nobody can explain...

Let's say you have only one network connection per room or office, you can connect your computer to the downstream ethernet port on the ATA. Connect the LAN port on the ATA to the network and the other ethernet port to the computer or some other network device such as a printer, etc.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Felix

I know how it can be used  ;) I just don't think it's a realistic scenario.
I don't want to hijack this thread... my arguments are here

MichiganTelephone

I was told it will be around the end of March or the beginning of April.  I received a review unit today, and have posted a first look (not really a "review" yet, but I hope to post a "Part 2" soon).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

carl

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on March 10, 2012, 02:05:04 PM

I was told it will be around the end of March or the beginning of April.  I received a review unit today, and have posted a first look (not really a "review" yet, but I hope to post a "Part 2" soon).
The price is a bit higher than expected - just about the same as two Obi 100 on sale- but hopefully the features will justify it. I hope they keep the timing because begin of April I have to buy a unit for a family member and I planned to get the 202 and pass through the 100. :)

Ostracus

$75 is competitive. I also see it solving the "dedicated Fax line" problem  as well. The LINE port omission is problematic for some, but a lot of people may already have an Obi110 and it's a simple matter to dedicate that to LINE duty.

Felix

I am very curious about planned USB functionality. I am using a USB phone, and I can dial from the address book / click number on the web page, etc. If I could plug this in the computer, and Obion or some other PC client would be integrated with the adapter - that would be really nice!

$75 price seems a little higher than I expected (especially since router doesn't add any value to me). But Google voice and USB integration might be the benefit over $40-50 grandstream / linksys models.

carl

I expected the Amazon price around $ 60.- and I think it will go down there once the supply of 100 and 110 is sold out and the novelty wears off.
For me, two 2 lines/two GV/ 2 SIP is the most attractive thing. I could not care less about the router and while I am not sure what the USB port functionality would be until the problem with my U-verse gateway is solved ( I have to keep it in DMZ mode for Obi in order to use SIP on Obi) I certainly do not intend to connect Obi in any way to my computer.
Apparently, some people are unhappy about the missing LINE port but that was another feature I do not need anyway.

Felix

Quote from: carl on March 13, 2012, 06:56:06 PM
I expected the Amazon price around $ 60.- and I think it will go down there once the supply of 100 and 110 is sold out and the novelty wears off.
For me, two 2 lines/two GV/ 2 SIP is the most attractive thing. I could not care less about the router and while I am not sure what the USB port functionality would be until the problem with my U-verse gateway is solved ( I have to keep it in DMZ mode for Obi in order to use SIP on Obi) I certainly do not intend to connect Obi in any way to my computer.
Apparently, some people are unhappy about the missing LINE port but that was another feature I do not need anyway.

Perfectly said, Sir  ;D
For me Line port is useless and Router functionality is a gimmick.

Being as geeky as I am, I am still curious about the capabilities that USB port provides. Maybe Music On Hold content? or voicemail?! That would be super cool!

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Felix on March 15, 2012, 10:16:11 AMFor me Line port is useless and Router functionality is a gimmick.

Being as geeky as I am, I am still curious about the capabilities that USB port provides. Maybe Music On Hold content? or voicemail?! That would be super cool!

Regarding the router functionality, I don't see it as a "gimmick" as much as a convenience, mainly for two classes of users:

1. Where the user has a Cable or DSL modem and plugs their computer directly into it, but currently has no router.  So this way, they are not forced to go buy a router.  Plus, they get a firewall (if they enable it).

2. Where the user wants to locate their phone and computer next to each other (in the same room or at the same desk), but there's only one Internet connection at that location and they don't want to run another cable back to their router.

I'm not saying the router is only good in those situations — if you add a standalone switch, you could use it as the only router on your network, provided you don't care about having gigabit speeds.  But it won't meet the needs of those of us who want our LANs to operate at gigabit speeds.

The USB port won't be fully enabled in the initial firmware release (it works but all you can to is look at a hard drive or USB drive connected to it, and do some basic file manipulation) but I think perhaps some of what you're suggesting is being considered for future firmware releases.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

I agree the router feature will be useful for many people. I specifically thought about single computer households that do not currently have a router, as mentioned by MichiganTelephone.

And the same would be true if the device had a line port. I think Obihai should have built on their original Obi110 that has a line port. There are many businesses that could migrate the bulk of their phone service to voip, but wish to maintain one land line.

Without the line port you cannot daisy chain multiple devices.

carl

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on March 16, 2012, 01:05:06 PM

Regarding the router functionality, I don't see it as a "gimmick" as much as a convenience, mainly for two classes of users:

1. Where the user has a Cable or DSL modem and plugs their computer directly into it, but currently has no router.  So this way, they are not forced to go buy a router.  Plus, they get a firewall (if they enable it).

In our area, the ISP choice is between cable( expensive) and ATT . ATT provides proprietary gateways for their U verse service and gateways for the old DSL for those who still have it.(Not that I am happy about their damned 2-wires with no manuals and no customer support)  )
So unfortunately, the router function is fully useless for most of us here.

dhobi

The advantage of using the built-in OBI router is that you know VOIP will work. I've read of many problems with crappy routers that are trying to be smart about SIP ALG and do more harm than good or just plain don't work well with UDP packet routing without explicit forwarding rules.

Rick

If people were connecting directly to the internet without a router, thus not having a firewall, and so no problem with that, does anyone think that a) they'll have a clue about how to configure the router in the 202 or b) they'll enable the firewall?

My mid 70 year old mother wouldn't know a firewall from a fire engine...  :D

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Rick on March 19, 2012, 09:03:37 AM
If people were connecting directly to the internet without a router, thus not having a firewall, and so no problem with that, does anyone think that a) they'll have a clue about how to configure the router in the 202 or b) they'll enable the firewall?

My mid 70 year old mother wouldn't know a firewall from a fire engine...  :D

So, what's your point?  If someone's not using a firewall now, and they connect their computer to the OBi202 and fail to enable the firewall, they are no worse off than they are now, right?  And SOMEBODY has to configure the OBi202 for the service providers, and hopefully they will know how to check a box if they want the firewall enabled, right?

Sounds to me like you're the tech support for your mother, and you'd know how to enable the firewall, so I'm not seeing the problem here!