News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

NewB - help figuring out the rest of it.

Started by Nate, January 31, 2012, 12:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate

Hello,

I'm in the game to save$$...and happy about the possibilities w/ OBI.  Here's what I have. I've got GV on sp1 for outbound calls.  I have callcentric for inbound on sp2 (decided to go this route for 911 ability w/ small kids around and they'd port over my old landline # too).  

It all seems to be working, but I have two lingering things to figure out:
1. Can i configure things so that the calls placed via GV are showing the CID of our old phone# that we ported over to callcentric.
2. Also, can I connect the obi to an phone jack and thereby be able to connect a phone to any jack in the house?  Note that our DSL is on this line.

Thanks for the help and patience.

RonR

Quote from: Nate on January 31, 2012, 12:48:44 PM
1. Can i configure things so that the calls placed via GV are showing the CID of our old phone# that we ported over to callcentric.

Outgoing calls through Google Voice always use your Google Voice number as CallerID.  This is a Google Voice restriction and cannot be changed.

Quote from: Nate on January 31, 2012, 12:48:44 PM
2. Also can I connect the obi to an phone jack and thereby be able to hook of a phone to any jack in the house?  Note that our DSL is on this line.

You would need to rewire things such that your incoming DSL line is connected directly to your DSL modem without using the same pair of wires that all your telephones are connect to.  Once you isolate the pair your telephones are connected to from your incoming DSL line, you may safely connect the OBi PHONE Port to all the telephones in your house.

Nate

Thanks...there's already 4 wires connected to the jacks.  I'll have to play and see what wires are running dsl and then go from there.  It's cat7 wire so it has plenty of options if I need more wires.  

One other thing...I noticed that the dial tone now sounds three "busy signal" like tones and then the normal dial tone.  Is this normal?

Thanks.

RonR

I suspect you're hearing what is known as a 'stutter dialtone'.  It indicates you have unread voicemail, probably at Google Voice.

If you dial your Google Voice number from the OBi's Google Voice trunk, you should reach the Google Voice voicemail IVR and be able to retrieve your voicemail.

fbjd

To use the same outlet for both incoming DSL and phone output from Obi, you'll need a DSL filter with two ports - one for incoming DSL and the other labelled for a phone jack.

RonR

Quote from: fbjd on January 31, 2012, 08:08:03 PM
To use the same outlet for both incoming DSL and phone output from Obi, you'll need a DSL filter with two ports - one for incoming DSL and the other labelled for a phone jack.

If he uses a spare pair (not the line 1 pair) for a direct connection from the incoming PSTN line to his DSL modem and connects the OBi's PHONE Port to the isolated line 1 pair containing only his telephones, no DSL filter is needed anywhere.

Nate

I did briefly try the dsl filters I had and it didn't seem to work...I didn't have a lot of time to play with it however.  Do I need to reboot the OBI by chance once I've disconnected and then connected phone lines?

Thanks for the help.

Nate

One other thing...I have callcentric for incoming and 911 and it's on sp2. Is there a way to know that 911 calls will go to sp2(CC)? I assume that it will as that is what I have in obitalk, and sp1 is GV, but i'd prefer not to learn the hard way. Thanks.

RonR

Verify you have the following OutboundCallRoute:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{911:sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

If you do, call your local non-emergency police or fire department number and explain that you have a new telephone system and would like to make a test call to 911.  Once you have permission, make the call to 911 and immediately tell the dispatcher who answers that there is no emergency.  Verify they have the correct information in front of them regarding your name, location, etc.