News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Crashes my 2Wire Modem

Started by udahman, January 31, 2012, 08:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

udahman

I tried to setup the OBi-110 and it killed my DSL internet connection. I have a 2Wire 1710 Gateway modem. It messed it up and the only was to fix it was to do a factory reset. I took the Obi to work and plugged into the company network to complete the set up and it worked. Once I got home and got the Obi back online, as soon as I plugged in the OBi onto the network, it crashed the modem and again requiring a factory reset (fortunately I remembered how to do from tech support giving me the reset code).

Anyone else having this problem?

RonR

Try setting the OBi's Ethernet port to 100 mb/s full-duplex (it defaults to 10 mb/s half-deplex):

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

udahman

Hi RonR and thank you for the quick response.

I did what you said and it worked, initially.

I was able to make a call, but shortly later, my internet stopped working, although I was still able to call out. Weird.

Anyway, I had to do a factory reset of the modem again to get back online. So I can call out, but something causes the internet to go out.

I'm on a Mac OSX Lion, btw.

Any other suggestions?

RonR

You didn't happen to factory reset the OBi did you?  The Ethernet port change reverts back if you do.

udahman

I reset the Obi before doing what you told me.

Once the internet got cut off, I only reset the 2Wire modem to get back online.

RonR

It sure sounds like the 2Wire 1710 Gateway modem might have a bug and something the OBi is sending or doing is exacerbating it.  Do you have a different brand modem you substitute for a test?

udahman

Nothing is wrong with the 2wire as I was with tech support troubleshooting it and everything is fine. It's probably some sort of conflict, and I don't have another modem to try. Maybe I'll need to buy another modem or return the Obi. Bummer.

Rick

You haven't explained your setup, but I assume you have a DSL modem, then a router, into which the OBi is plugged in?

If so, one thing to check is the IP address of each device.  The DSL modem is likely a static IP, often printed on the bottom of the modem.  That IP address COULD be conflicting with the OBi, depending on how you set things up.  This is a long shot, you probably have the DSL modem connecting to the router and the OBi connected to the router, so the DSL modem is getting an address from the router which should not conflict with the DSL modem, but it's worth checking. 

My former AT&T DSL modem (forget the brand) had a static IP that conflicted with another device, so I had to go into the modem setup and change the IP before hooking into my network to get around the problem.

udahman

I have the 2Wire 1701 modem for my DSL line:
http://support.sasktel.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11325/~/2wire-1701-and-1800-gateway-technical-specifications

It is a wireless modem with router built in, not separate modem and router. I believe it is at least 7 years old. If you can help me figure this out, that would be great. Otherwise, I may start looking for a replacement modem/router. Any suggestions?

OldKoot

I have a 2Wire 2700HG-E gateway, and the OFi110 gave me nothing but grief to get it work within the 2Wire's configuation. 

The issue was the OFi110 being in conflict trying to function as a router behind a router. 

The solution that I stumbled upon, being a geriatric networking newbie,  was the 2Wire's offered resolution to transfer the OFi110 into the 2Wire's DMZ, thereby eliminating the DHCP conflict.

Did you get your issue resolved?

bren

Quote from: RonR on January 31, 2012, 08:16:00 PM
Try setting the OBi's Ethernet port to 100 mb/s full-duplex (it defaults to 10 mb/s half-deplex):
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Never know the box default to 10mb/s half-duplex.
Should I set it to 100mb/s full-duplex even though do not have problem now?

bigmak

The DMZ idea might work, but that doesn't seem to be the best solution, as putting anything on the DMZ will make it more prone to attacks.  I certainly wouldn't want anyone making phone calls to Thailand on my dime.   ;)

RonR

Quote from: bren on February 01, 2012, 09:56:15 AM
Should I set it to 100mb/s full-duplex even though do not have problem now?

If you're not having any problems, changing the Ethernet port probably won't buy you anything.

It's a simple change and easy to revert back, so feel free to experiment.

udahman

So my friend helped me put the Obi on DMZ and it worked. The phone was able to call and the internet stayed on all through the night and morning. But when I came home from work, the internet was down again requiring a factory reset of the modem. The next day, same thing, internet worked from evening until morning, but sometime during the day, the internet went down requiring a factory reset to the modem upon coming home from work.

Is there anything else I need to do or try?

StephenR0

I believe your problem is a bug in the 2wire modem.  I have a 2wire 2701 that crashed consistently when I tried to stream Netflix with a Roku.  After a lot of diagnosis, the solution was to put the modem into bridged mode.  I run a router behind it so it wasn't a problem to run PPPOE on that.  My connection is now trouble free.  The problem with 2wire is that you are not their customer.  If your ISP won't pay for them to fix the bug, they won't fix it.

carl

Quote from: StephenR0 on February 12, 2012, 09:11:14 AM
The problem with 2wire is that you are not their customer. 
The problem goes way beyond that.If you have the regular DSL with ATT, you can toss the 2-wire and get something else. With U-verse internet ( and there is no going back from U verse DSL to the old version) you are completely suck with 2 wire. They do not provide manuals , nor customer service and ATT, which is supposed to provide tech support for their U verse gateways, will simply not provide any help or even answer any question once they figure out that you are using or intending to use a VOIP service. A lot of people are stuck and have to use DMZ mode.