News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Followed the instructions for Google Voice setup - DOESN'T WORK

Started by GeoTalk, February 01, 2012, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoTalk

I have followed 3 different tutorials, several different methods, and this thing simply doesn't work as advertised.

I can do the "**9 222 222 222″ thing, that works.  I can do the "**9 333 333 333″ thing, the call gets placed, fine.  My OBiTALK Portal setting for the Google Voice account says "Connected".

And that's about all I can do, nothing else functions.

When I try to make a phone call out by simply dialing any 10 digit number in my area code (XXX-XXX-XXXX) or outside my area code (1-XXX-XXX-XXXX) NOTHING HAPPENS for about 3 minutes (it varies, sometimes it's 2.5 minutes, sometimes 4 minutes) until I hear a male automated voice say "The phone number you dialed was rejected by the service provider because 500."

Also, when I call the Obi110 using the assigned Google Voice Number, the attached phone rings but when I answer it there is no connection made.  The phone call just keeps ringing and eventually goes to Google Voicemail.  YES YES YES I have checked 20 times that all the settings in Google Voice are correct (including forwarding to Google Chat).

I have gone through the set up 6 times, 3 different ways, and it's ALWAYS THE SAME RESULT.

Is there any live support to troubleshoot and test this thing to make sure it isn't broken?

Stewart

This is most likely a problem with a setting in your modem or router.  Who is your ISP?  Modem make/model?  Separate router, if any?

jimates

Check the call history to see what number the Obi delivered and where it tried to deliver it to.

GeoTalk

Quote from: Stewart on February 01, 2012, 05:50:57 PM
This is most likely a problem with a setting in your modem or router.  Who is your ISP?  Modem make/model?  Separate router, if any?
Our ISP is Bend Broadband.
The Cable Modem is an Arris WBM760.
Linksys E4200.

GeoTalk

Quote from: jimates on February 01, 2012, 08:10:57 PM
Check the call history to see what number the Obi delivered and where it tried to deliver it to.

Not sure I understand what you mean exactly, but the history says Obi ("Phone1") reports "Peer Number" as the exact same number I dialed (which was 1+ the 10 digit number) and GoogleVoice1 reports the "Peer Number" as the exact same number.

GeoTalk

Update:  I added firewall rules almost exactly (exception is the 16998 number because I noticed in my OBi110 config that the range used only goes to 16798) as specified here http://obihai.com/FAQ.html#03

But nothing has changed. I get the same results.

I also updated my Linksys E4200 firmware to the latest: It made no difference.

RonR

GeoTalk,

Before trying to resolve router problems that may not exist, it's a good idea to verify that that the router is a possible source of the problem.  To do this, connect the OBi directly to your cable modem.  Power cycle both units after making the direct connection.  Then verify that you can still reach the echo test at **9 222 222 222.  Then try your Google Voice calls.

If the problem goes away with no router in the loop, then the router is suspect as the source of the problem.  If eliminating the router doesn't correct the problem, then the problem obvious lies elsewhere.

GeoTalk

RonR, I will do that after hours (life of IT guy, right?), thanks for advice.

My question is though (not to you, just in general), how could everything else work, but this does not?  All the other diagnostics that "work" are going through the same equipment (GV direct calls, Obi tests to 222 & 333), but the actual calls do not.  What is the theory as to what in the world could possibly be wrong?  If it's a fault of the Linksys router, then how do all the other test scenarios work?

My point is that their diagnostic "tests" don't actually test what they purport to test, otherwise if tests worked then I would be able to make calls.

Anyways, I'll try out your idea later.  Thanks.

RonR

GeoTalk,

Google Voice and the OBiTALK Service (**9) are two totally different protocols.  Given a properly working router, if one works, so should the other.  But routers have to do unusual things to accomplish NAT, and sometimes there are bugs that affect one protocol and not another.  Your router may be perfectly healthy and have nothing to do with your problem, but since it's a major player in the overall picture, a good first step is to simply eliminate it from the equation in order to know whether to suspect it or not.  If it can be eliminated as a contributor to the problem, it narrows the candidates considerably.

GeoTalk

RonR, okay I by-passed the Linksys and the Linux firewall server by plugging the OBi100 directly into the cable modem, then powered the OBi110 backup.

I was able to make the real test calls to AND from my cell phone.

Obviously that set up won't work permanently, so what now?  It's either the Linksys, the Firewall, or both.

Here's the stupid part: I can make Google Voice calls using my laptop, but not the Obi, why?  They all go through the same Linksys router and Linux firewall.  What protocols does the Obi110 use that a laptop doesn't?  I would really love to find out what the mystery/undocumented issue is.

Anyways, if you have any guidance on the matter I would greatly appreciated it.

RonR

The next step is to bypass the Linksys router and the Linux firewall, one at a time, and see which of them is the culprit.

GeoTalk

It's the Linux Firewall that the Obi110 is having trouble getting through.  Don't know why though, because I've opened up all the ports that it needs:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52357644/firewall-obi.png

According to this: http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiFAQ.html#02

Any idea what the deal is?

earthtoobi

Rather than opening  ports, can you not let traffic pass through to Obi IP/Mac. Obi does not use the RTP port range in the ITSP profile for Google Voice

GeoTalk

Appreciate your input, but I don't understand what it is you are suggesting I do, precisely.

Do you mean for me to remove from the firewall rules which allows those RTP (ports 16600 to 16798)?

If so, why would blocking ports unblock the Obi?  If not, then what exactly do you suggest for me to do?

Again, thanks for your input.

RonR

GeoTalk,

Now that you've isolated the problem to your Linux firewall, the challenge is to learn about your firewall and how to configure it to permit the OBi to operate.  SIP (5060 - 5061) and RTP (16600 - 16998) ports are well known, but the ports used with Google Voice and the OBiTALK Service are undocumented.  Unless someone else on this forum uses and is familiar with your Linux firewall, you're probably the only one who's going to be able to research and divine the settings required in the firewall to make it work.