News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Extending an anlogue pbx extension using Obi's

Started by Gavo, February 02, 2012, 08:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavo

Hello,
Does anyone know how (or even if it is possible) to extend an analogue pbx extension using OBI's ?

The scenario  is thus :-

pbx extn -------Obi?--------Internet----------Obi?--------analogue telephone

Regards

Gavin

Stewart

You can connect the LINE port of an OBi110 to an analog PBX station port.  The rest of the setup is the same as providing remote access to a landline, which is discussed extensively on this board and in OBi documentation.  Sometimes, you'll have to tweak a setting; see http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2311.0 .

Though you will need an OBi110 at the PBX end, you might consider using an IP phone or a softphone at the remote end. 

hoo311

Hi Gavo,

Did you set it up successfully?  Could you share the procedure and config to me?  Thx.

Gavo

QBZappy

Gavo,

That setup can also be accomplished between two OBis.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

PaulS

Hi, that is the exact setup I am looking to achieve with 2 X OBI110 to extend an analogue PBX extension by bridging over a LAN.

Can't seem to quite find the correct procedure yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also is it possible to make the process invisible, ie as soon as the remote handset is picked up that OBI will connect to the 2nd OBI and the user will hear tone from PBX. Same in reverse, when PBX extension calls OBI 2 it will ring OBI 1 phone. Ideally without users dialing extra digits?

Thanks again, if anyone has any pointers would be a great help.

ianobi

PaulS – welcome to the forum.

This should work, but note my comments at the end.

Remote OBi 200654321:

Physical Interfaces > Phone Port > DigitMap:
(<:ob200123456>)

Physical Interfaces > Phone Port > OutboundCallRoute
{ob200123456:pp}

PBX OBi 200123456:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:
{(200654321):li},{ph}

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute
{pp(ob200654321)}

If you would like the PBX OBi's phone to ring as well as the Remote OBi's phone use:
{ph,pp(ob200654321)}

This will do what you wish, but has a few drawbacks, which may or not matter.
There is no access to local auto attendant 2 at Remote OBi, so some configuration changes are not possible after this is set up.
Remote OBi is really a "dumb phone". It can only access the PBX line and none of its own or the PBX OBi's other services.

You might want to consider this Master/Slave setup which gives the Remote OBi a lot more services:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5076.msg32750#msg32750

azrobert

You can look at my solution here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5086.0

This topic shows how I configure an OBi.

The first reply is how to modify it to access a resource on a remote OBi.

I use a prefix to direct the call to a resource on the remote OBi.

Using my example you would dial "29" to get dial tone on a distant PSTN line.  You can also dial "294805551212"  to make a call on the distant PSTN line. Dial "214805551212"  to make a call on the distant SP1.

PaulS

Thanks for your suggestions, will be trying soon, only I don't have PBX system with me so will have to test on site sadly :( in next day or 3

Sure will be back with questions!

The limitations you mentioned are fine, really my goal is simply to add a wired PBX extension in an area where it is not possible or practical to cable to, but there is a LAN covering entire site. As I said ideally the OBI devices will be invisible as far as user actions go - extra digits to be dialed, message prompts etc.

This is my first look at the hardware, I have 2 devices but can see the setup options are immense and its a bit of a minefield for me!

I think after reading some more I need to go back to basics with this technology to understand the terminology and meanings as I would rather not just copy/paste and not understand what I am doing, even if it works!

I prefer to understand what I have done wherever possible! Please bear with me!

Thanks

ianobi

PaulS – as you seem interested in the "nuts and bolts" here are some explanations:

Remote OBi 200654321:

(<:ob200123456>)
<aaa:xxx> means replace aaa with xxx. In this case aaa is nothing so as soon as the phone is picked up the nothing is replaced by ob200123456, which is the format needed to send an OBi number over the OBiTALK network.

{ob200123456:pp}
This means send ob200123456 out on trunk pp1. This is the OBiTALK trunk.

PBX OBi 200123456:

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:
{(200654321):li},{ph}
First rule means send incoming calls with CallerID 200654321 to line. In this case there are no digits so the connection gives PBX dial tone. Second rule means send all other incoming calls to the local Obi Phone Port.

{pp(ob200654321)}
Any calls coming in to the Line Port should be forwarded to Obi number 200654321 using trunk pp1.

The workings are invisible to the extension user and the PBX. The extension can be anywhere in the world. Maybe a slight down side is that the call is being set up via the OBiTALK server, although the speech path should resolve itself locally within the local LAN.

As both Obi110s are in the same LAN, it is possible to set up a similar setup using direct SIP calling between the two Obi110s, which would be independent of the OBiTALK network. I guess that can wait for another post  ;)

PaulS

Thanks Ianobi for your detailed explanation, that certainly helps. I have tried the setup with a Panasonic PBX which I found in stock for another job. I can get the remote phone to reach the other PBX extension but it does go via the PBX obi AA so I need to enter additional digits before reaching the PBX. Probably some tweaking I need to do.

From a PBX extension I can call the phone attached the local obi but it is not routing to the remote obi. Probably something I missed. I do notice some settings seem to change from what I enter following a reboot. For example on the PBX obi when I set OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute:
{(200008XXX):li},{ph}
After saving and re-booting it looks like this:
{(290681XXX|200008XXX)>(xx.):LI},{(290681XXX|200008XXX):aa},{ph}
Perhaps my format is wrong? Or this is the same thing? the other number comes from the softphone that appears on dashboard.

However you mentioned this will obviously require the obi talk network which in turn will rely on internet. Here in Thailand it's not uncommon for the ISP to be down so perhaps the direct SIP calling would be a better option anyway. I found some manuals which I will have a read through and see if anything makes sense.

Thanks again for your assistance :)

QBZappy

Quote from: PaulS on January 24, 2013, 10:40:10 PM
I do notice some settings seem to change from what I enter following a reboot.
This is the reason why your changes don't stick. The portal is managing the config. You can prevent that behavior if you prefer to use the unit web page for configuration instead.

Managing Your OBi Device Configuration: OBiTALK or OBi Web Page but NOT Both
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.0
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

PaulS

Haha  :-[ thanks I just looked at the dashboard config and see its defaulting from the obitalk settings. That does answer a few things.

Thank you!

ianobi

PaulS – Here is the direct SIP calling version that is independent of OBiTALK. This assumes that both OBi devices are in the same LAN subnet.

In both OBi110s I have used sp2, mostly because I have used this in previous posts and I'm doing a lazy cut and paste for some of this post  :)

Remote OBi address:port  192.168.1.14:5473
PBX OBi address:port  192.168.1.10:5471

Remote OBi 200654321:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : 1234
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5473
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> CallerIDName : Whatever
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> MaxSessions : 4

(<:@192.168.1.10:5471>)

{(@@.):sp2}

PBX OBi 200123456:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID : checked

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> Enable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : 5678
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_UserAgentPort : 5471
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> CallerIDName : Anything
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> MaxSessions : 4

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
{(1234):li}

{sp2(obi@192.168.1.14:5473)}

If you would like the PBX OBi's phone to ring as well as the Remote OBi's phone use:
{ph,sp2(obi@192.168.1.14:5473)}

Using these settings CallerID should be passed both ways. CallerID of the remote OBi is its AuthUserName.

PaulS

Excellent, works like a charm. Thanks for that.

Glad you gave the example, I was not finding the answers too easily!

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and help  ;D

PBXEHR

How about if the remote Obi is plugged in as a fax line rather than a voice POTS line> The remote Obi would receive faxes and (send) from another city? So a central location would have Obi's in multiple remote locations sending and receiving local faxes in each remote city from the central location?

ianobi

The routing of the fax calls using OBi devices is no different to the routing of voice calls. However, be aware that there may be problems with fax calls using voip. Have a search around on this forum for "fax" or other forums for "fax over voip".