News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

remote control OBI

Started by baby007, February 02, 2012, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baby007

Hi, I am trying to setup my obi so I can remote control it from another country. Currently, my obi is behind a fios router (192.168.1.1). I set static IP for obi at 192.168.1.27. If I do port forwarding (in the router's firewall) of port 80 to the OBi, I can access it ok using the host I registered with no-ip. If I don't forward port 80, the host from no-ip will go to the router page. My question is: is there anyway I can access both the router and the obi using 2 different ports? Can I change the port 80 in Obi to something else? Every time I change port on Obi, I cant access it using the 192.168... anymore.
Thanks

RonR

Change the OBi to port 8080:

System Management -> Device Admin -> Port : 8080

and forward port 8080 in your router instead of port 80.

In your browser, use : http://hostname:8080

or (locally) http://192.168.x.y:8080

baby007

Thanks for your response.
It works but kind of weird. Lets say after I reset everything back to original, I change the port to 8080 and it works. But every time after I change the port, I go change the obi IP, I cant access the 192.168.x.y:8080 anymore. So I have to reset again...
Any idea?

VaHam

You should be able to just forward port 8080 on your router to port 80 on your OBi.

RonR

Quote from: baby007 on February 02, 2012, 11:03:42 PM
Lets say after I reset everything back to original, I change the port to 8080 and it works. But every time after I change the port, I go change the obi IP, I cant access the 192.168.x.y:8080 anymore. So I have to reset again...

I can't figure out what you're saying/doing.  Sorry.

baby007

Sorry for being unclear. The process is like this:
I go to obi ip 192.168.1.26 (get automatically from router)
Change obi port to 8080
Reboot obi
Go to 192.168.1.26:8080
Set static ip to 192.168.1.27
Reboot
Go to new address 192.168.1.27:8080
firefox/IE returns error, cound not find (but I still can ping to 192.168.1.27 though)

Stewart

Possibly, OBiTalk provisioning is resetting the port.  Confirm that in System Management -> Auto Provisioning, both ITSP Provisioning -> Method and OBiTalk Provisioning -> Method are set to Disabled.

If the above does not help, if your Actiontec router permits, you could forward e.g. external TCP port 8080 to the OBi's port 80.

baby007

Disable ITSP Provisioning and works perfectly. Thanks a lot guys
One more question: if I have another obi under same network, which port number should I change on that obi?

RonR

Any unused port should work, like 8081, 8082, etc.

baby007

Nice. Now it works locally. I am gonna send the obi to another country where they dont currently have a router. They have DSL and the modem. Any one know if setting up the modem to forward port to Obi would be in similar manner as a router? Of else they can buy a router and use the router to forward port to the Obi.

RonR

Many DSL modems, even if the only have one Ethernet port for the LAN, have the equivalent of a router built in.  It's quite possible there is a port forwading capability, but you'd have to find the documentation or actually take a look to know for sure.

If you use an external router, it's best to run the DSL modem in 'Bridged' mode to avoid the possiblility of double NAT (having two routers in series).

baby007

Thanks. I will need to check on that.
Another question(maybe not in the right forum  ;D):I currently have a Fios route/gateway and linksys e2000 with tomato firmware. If I put the linksys behind the fios gateway, would setting up for remote controlling the linksys be similar to what I did with obi? I turn off DHCP on the linksys, set its IP to 192.168.1.4, and enable remote management through port 8084. I go to the fios config at 192.168.1.1 and forward port 8084 to linksys IP. Did I miss anything?
Oh, on the linksys remote management page, it has a line for WAN IP Address Range. Do I need to fill it out with something?

RonR

It should all be very similar.  The Teddy Bear Tomato firmware I'm using doesn't appear to have the WAN IP Address Range, so I'm not familair with it.

DaveTap

Quote from: baby007 on February 02, 2012, 10:17:38 PM
Hi, I am trying to setup my obi so I can remote control it from another country.
You should set up your OBis in the OBiTalk portal as well. It allow you to see if its online and adjust most settings through most firewalls.

baby007

Yeah, thats what I was doing too. But some features are not available on the web portal though