News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Support for "push" notification of incoming calls

Started by PeterFales, November 12, 2011, 07:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterFales

I've seen references to perl scripts that can pop up  a notification of an incoming call on your computer.  However the way they work is by constantly polling the OBi (e.g. once per second) and they do this constantly, whether a call is active or not.    It would be nice if some sort of "push" mechanism could be implemented that would allow the OBi to notify me of the incoming call.   I'm sure there are various ways to do it, but one way to do it would be a simple HTTP get to a user specified URL.   It could either include the caller information in that request, or I could use it to trigger a read from the OBi to fetch the detailed information. 

Stewart

Two methods come to mind:

Have your perl script listen for syslog or X_SipDebugOption messages from the OBi, ignoring all except the desired call indications.  Unfortunately, this would likely conflict with other uses of syslog.

Have the OBi fork the calls to a gateway pointing to the perl script (on a non-standard port).  The script could return e.g. a 486 status, to prevent the OBi from retransmitting or sending CANCELs.

PeterFales

Thanks for the syslog suggestion - easy to implement and seems to work great.   I set it up to use a different port which means a) it doesn't interfere with syslog and b) the monitoring program doesn't need access to a low-numbered (privileged) port.