News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Sporadic Call Failures, e.g. "503 Issue"

Started by otherwhirl, February 07, 2012, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFord

I think what OBiSupport is saying is that if there are problems with Google Voice itself or from the GV end, you will experience the issue you are having.  If you check the GV Help Forum you will see that a number of GV users who are NOT using the OBi ATA is experiencing just the problem you are having.  This is outside the control of OBi and nothing they can do to correct the issue.  In other words, the issue is unrelated to the Firmware upgrade and just happen to coincide with it!

Quote from: S--F on February 08, 2012, 03:02:10 AM
Quote from: OBiSupport on February 07, 2012, 11:56:38 PM
When the OBi announcement makes the "Service Unavailable" 503 message is is is not an issue with your OBi device's operation.  The OBi is simply providing some additional context as to why the particular call cannot be completed by the service provider (we feel this is a bit better than returning a generic busy signal or other special information tone).

That said, we are studying this particular issue.  As well, please look to the GV Help Forum for more information.

The 503 error may indicate service being unavailable temporarily on the Google Voice connection. And yes, a redial of the same number might make the call go through.

Well I'm not getting a 503 error. The phone isn't ringing. Any input on that?

S--F

Well then this is a pretty big coincidence, and I'm not sure I believe it.

BillS

I have the OBI110 up and running fine with GV.  I am getting ready to port my Landline (with AT&T) to a AT&T Go Phone and then port to GV.  I have read that many have done this. I chatted with AT&T to confirm it could be done and they said yes.

Just checking to see if anyone has had any issues doing this lately.

Thanks much

Dale

Setup: GV configured on Obi box and generally working fine.

We have seen a few instances of the following:

Nobody using the phone.
No known internet connectivity issues.
Obi box online

Google Voice (on my machine where I am logged into my Google account) goes 'ping' and indicates that an inbound call has just been missed.
No inbound call is shown on the Obibox log.

If I call the same GV number from another phone (Eg Bobsled) the phone rings as usual for the inbound test call. If we call out to the number that just called us (the so-called missed call) it connects perfectly.

Last night this happened twice (from the same caller), a cell phone from area code 614.

Since there is nothing in the Obi log I suspect the problem is external to our home network - either in Google or in the ObiHai network.

Has anyone else seen this?

jimates

This just happened to me twice. Once about 30 min ago and once while I was typing this. Both times when my wife called from her cell. Another call came in about 10 min ago that rang all the phones as normal.

this has happened before but very very rare,  I think perhaps less than 5 times in many months.

I am sure it is a google problem. I called my cell phone from my GV page using the google talk phone and my Obi rings fine.

Remember also, you can't have your gmail open in a browser or have Groove IP or Talkatone active on a cell phone. If you do the Obi will not be logged into the corresponding Google Voice account.

mtown

I'm experiencing this issue as well calling through two different obis/accounts/internet service addresses.  So far no trouble using the gmail chat caller to make calls from gmail or using google voice through my cell phone using grooveip.  Hopefully this is a small problem with a quick fix and not Google starting to block out great complementary products like the Obi.

mtown

Hi S--F, it is a coincidence.  Other long time users who did not change any firmware yesterday, including me, noticed this same problem appear yesterday as well.  Just bad timing for your problem but it is not related to the firmware upgrade.

RonR

Quote from: RFord on February 08, 2012, 08:07:38 AM
If you check the GV Help Forum you will see that a number of GV users who are NOT using the OBi ATA is experiencing just the problem you are having.

Could you provide a link to your reference?  I see a number of posts on the Google Voice help forum regarding the inablility to obain a phone number in area code 503, but nothing that would appear to be related to the problems OBi users are experiencing.

RFord

RFord

Could there be some form of conflict while having Groove IP running simultaneously on your Cell Phone?  See issues with running Groove IP on this Forum.....

Quote from: mtown on February 08, 2012, 09:39:22 AM
I'm experiencing this issue as well calling through two different obis/accounts/internet service addresses.  So far no trouble using the gmail chat caller to make calls from gmail or using google voice through my cell phone using grooveip.  Hopefully this is a small problem with a quick fix and not Google starting to block out great complementary products like the Obi.

RonR

Quote from: RFord on February 08, 2012, 10:44:02 AM
Could there be some form of conflict while having Groove IP running simultaneously on your Cell Phone?  See issues with running Groove IP on this Forum.....

I have several Google Voice accounts with nothing but a single OBi connected to each of them.  The 503 errors are very reproducible on each of the Google Voice accounts.

jimates

If you have Groove IP or Talkatone running on a cell phone then the Obi may not be logged into GV and therefor no service detected by the Obi and an error message returned.

In the past having gmail open in a browser also affected the Obi but that seems to be changing. I can now have my gmail open and still receive calls on the Obi.

Edit:
I just opened Talkatone on my iphone and successfully placed a call from both the app and from the Obi. An incoming call only rang the Talkatone app and the Obi did not ring.
Can't test Groove IP until later when an android phone is here.

jilebi

I am also having the same problem in the last 2-3 days, in a very reproducible manner. Almost every alternate call through Obi110 and GV  results in the male voice error message of the number being rejected by service provider and error 503. The maximum I have had to redial is three times, i.e 2 consecutive times it gave me same error, but third time the call went through. Usually the call goes through on the second attempt.

BTW, in order to further diagnose the issue, I have 1) tried turning on QOS in my router and turning off QOS. The error has occurred in both cases. 2) Additionally, I have run diagnostics on my IP setup and the 30Mbps internet connect is rock solid with no breaks in connections and no drops in pings (22ms to Google servers) and 3) The calls go through fine with no errors when I use the web front end of GV to make calls. and 4) I have updated to latest firmware ( the one which fixes the voice mail inidcator issues), with same error 503. I got the error 503 even with the firmware previous to the latest version.

At this point it looks like an issue between the Obi110 device and Google Voice. I hope the detail above helps Obihai in diagnosing the issue. I will be more than happy to help out in any manner, in getting to the root of the problem.

Thanks.

Quote from: RonR on February 08, 2012, 10:54:22 AM
Quote from: RFord on February 08, 2012, 10:44:02 AM

I have several Google Voice accounts with nothing but a single OBi connected to each of them.  The 503 errors are very reproducible on each of the Google Voice accounts.

jilebi

I just did it. No problems whatsoever. Completed in approx. 48 hours. Go for it!!

Quote from: BillS on February 08, 2012, 09:03:38 AM
I have the OBI110 up and running fine with GV.  I am getting ready to port my Landline (with AT&T) to a AT&T Go Phone and then port to GV.  I have read that many have done this. I chatted with AT&T to confirm it could be done and they said yes.

Just checking to see if anyone has had any issues doing this lately.

Thanks much

jilebi

I just posted my experience with this error 503 in another thread. I am reproducing it below for your benefit.

BTW, I too upgraded the firmware yesterday and the error 503 occurred *both* before and after the firmware upgrade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am also having the same problem in the last 2-3 days, in a very reproducible manner. Almost every alternate call through Obi110 and GV  results in the male voice error message of the number being rejected by service provider and error 503. The maximum I have had to redial is three times, i.e 2 consecutive times it gave me same error, but third time the call went through. Usually the call goes through on the second attempt.

BTW, in order to further diagnose the issue, I have 1) tried turning on QOS in my router and turning off QOS. The error has occurred in both cases. 2) Additionally, I have run diagnostics on my IP setup and the 30Mbps internet connect is rock solid with no breaks in connections and no drops in pings (22ms to Google servers) and 3) The calls go through fine with no errors when I use the web front end of GV to make calls. and 4) I have updated to latest firmware ( the one which fixes the voice mail inidcator issues), with same error 503. I got the error 503 even with the firmware previous to the latest version.

At this point it looks like an issue between the Obi110 device and Google Voice. I hope the detail above helps Obihai in diagnosing the issue. I will be more than happy to help out in any manner, in getting to the root of the problem.

Thanks.

Quote from: RonR on February 08, 2012, 10:50:00 AM
None of these threads appear to be about non-OBi users with problems even remotely related.

Quote from: RFord on February 08, 2012, 10:38:07 AM
https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/making-and-receiving-calls/LbvREN3XEmg

This thread appears to be about people having DTMF recognition problems when they press 1 to accept an incoming call.

https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/making-and-receiving-calls/zDVITEWnGJo

This one person can't receive any Google Voice calls.

https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/making-and-receiving-calls/TIvA2w75QSw

This is an OBi user.

Dale

well I have my gmail open all the time in a browser... but I dont think it is that because:

a) the gmail in the browser did not ring either
b) if the gmail was 'winning' then the test call would have not rung the phone either.

jilebi

Interestingly, this just happened to me 5 minutes ago. I had my phone next to me. It did not ring at all and the voicemail indicator started blinking. Checked the VM and there was a VM from an inbound call in the last 5 minutes, but the phone did not ring!!!

I wonder what is going on. As detailed in my other posts, I am now having two major issues, which has got my wife completely mad. On the outbound calls, almost every alternate call results in error message of number rejected by service provider and error code 503. And now for inbound call, the phone does not ring at all. Net result is that I am not able to have reliable phone service both outbound and inbound!!!

This is a major issue. It seems to be affecting multiple people. Can Obi support please look into it expeditiously?

S--F

For the record, I'm not experiencing the 503 error. I have yet to hear that, although my daughter told me she heard it several times last night on her obi100. She tried calling back 3 times to no avail. This has never happened before.

The reason I started this thread is only because I was getting voicemails without the phone ever ringing.

jilebi

Hi S--F,

I too am now having your same problem ( as of last one hour) of phone not ringing but going directly to VM. I too upgraded the firmware yesterday and this problem has started today. Not sure if this is a coincidence or related to firmware upgrade. In addition, I am also having error 503 problem, which I definitely had even before the firmware upgrade.

Quote from: S--F on February 08, 2012, 12:15:58 PM
For the record, I'm not experiencing the 503 error. I have yet to hear that, although my daughter told me she heard it several times last night on her obi100. She tried calling back 3 times to no avail. This has never happened before.

The reason I started this thread is only because I was getting voicemails without the phone ever ringing.