News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Sporadic Call Failures, e.g. "503 Issue"

Started by otherwhirl, February 07, 2012, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimates

My wife has called from her cell 4 times today and none of her calls rang my "google talk" forwarding phone. They did all ring my cell which is also a forwarding phone.

Only one other number called (twice) and both times it did ring all the forwarding phones including the Obi (google talk).

I called my GV number from my cell phone earlier and I don't think the Obi rang then either. I will have to test it and see about that.

jeff_mdimension

Same problem here.

In fact, the problem started last night, when I was testing the newly arrived obi-110.  First I got the error code 503.  I didn't know what it was about.  While I was testing more this morning, I cane to realize the phone did not ring at all.

I dont know what is Obi's user base.  I am curious why so few people reported this problem thus far.

thumper300zx

Having same issues as everyone above -- started today.

OBiSupport

Please see posted comments on the GV Help forum.  This issue is not at all confined to the OBi.

Thank you for your support.

RonR

pc44

Same problem experienced here.  Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this.  I have only noticed it for the past 5 days or so.  Multiple calls going straight to voicemail or missed -- without ringing the Obi.  I also am not logged into Gmail in any way during these times.

I did just go into the Google Voice settings and uncheck all of the forwarding phones.  Then, I re-checked the ones I wanted.  Will see if anything improves, but I am wondering if it is a call routing error by GV.

pc44

Quote from: OBiSupport on February 07, 2012, 11:53:32 PMThe 503 error may indicate service being unavailable temporarily on the Google Voice connection.

If this is the case, that would make three separate problems recently observed due to GV.  I just had the 503 error happen to me last night for the very first time.  Tack on the missed incoming calls and loss of MWI prior to recent Obi updates, and the resilience of my phone setup appears to be going downhill quickly.

But let's hope for the best :)  Maybe some solution(s) can be found!

Pawgi

same issues on my 2 obi110 and GV. started yesterday " error 503" and today it's hit and miss. :(

jimates

Earlier today I had one call that got "the number you called xxxxxxxxxx was rejected by the service provider". I redialed immediately and the call went through. I do currently have problems with certain calls ringing all my phones except my "google Talk" phone.

If it is a google problem, of course we know there is no support there.

jimates

While I was reading through the google voice help forum I made one change in my gmail. My wife just called again and all phones rang including the Obi and my Obion app.

Some posts on the help forum said their problem started after the new gmail interface. I changed back to the "old look" and now the call comes in correctly. I can't say for sure that was the problem but now it is working.

Give it a try and let us know what results.

Update:
My daughter called from her cell and it rang all forwarding phones except google talk.

Ethan

I get the 503 error when calling out too.  Also, I get incoming calls that I hear from my cell phone, but not from the Obi phone so if it were not for my cell phone, those calls would go to voice mail too.  Unfortunately I don't want to use the minutes on my cell.

techiegirl

We set up our Obi110 with Google Voice and ported our home phone to GV.  The process was flawless and it worked very well for a few weeks.  Sometime in the past few days, we noticed that our phone stopped ringing.  Our phone still dials out, just no incoming calls. 

We went through the procedures in the FAQ, but nothing seems to be working.

MRTT

Now I've had this today too!  "the call was rejected by your service provider reason 503."  I thought it was from the far end, at first, but I tried like 4 more times anyway.  Then called my GV # from my cell phone.  My Obi110 didn't ring.   the OBI web status looked fine. but restarted it anyway and both issues cleared up.  I have my obi110 restarting every morning already.. wierd.

Everton

Quote from: RonR on February 08, 2012, 01:23:26 PM
OBiSupport,

Why are you deleting my posts?

Uh-oh!!  RonR, does that mean we won't be able to get any assistance (Technical Support)  from you anymore.  Shame on you OBiSupport!!  ::)  ;D

OBiSupport

In an effort to consolidate all the related discussion topics/threads, please use this thread/topic to discuss the Google Voice 503 issue as it has been reported on multiple topics in the OBiTALK forum.

Some, but not all, Google Voice users are experiencing sporadic call failures on in-bound and out-bound calling using Google Voice.  The message as read back by the OBi device refers to a "503" reason message.  This message indicates service provider (Google Voice) network congestion or some other network or call routing issue causing calls to not be completed. This issue is not confined just to OBi users. 

If you experience this issue, it has been observed that repeated tries will oftentimes result in a successful call.

Obihai technical support are monitoring the issue and will provide new information as it becomes available.

Thank you for your support!

OBiSupport

Update 1:

We believe the issue to be on the mend. 
For those of you experiencing call failures, please try some calls now and report back on your experience.

Thanks!

bennettg

Quote from: OBiSupport on February 08, 2012, 04:05:41 PM
In an effort to consolidate all the related discussion topics/threads, please use this thread/topic to discuss the Google Voice 503 issue as it has been reported on multiple topics in the OBiTALK forum.

Some, but not all, Google Voice users are experiencing sporadic call failures on in-bound and out-bound calling using Google Voice.  The message as read back by the OBi device refers to a "503" reason message.  This message indicates service provider (Google Voice) network congestion or some other network or call routing issue causing calls to not be completed. This issue is not confined just to OBi users. 

If you experience this issue, it has been observed that repeated tries will oftentimes result in a successful call.

Obihai technical support are monitoring the issue and will provide new information as it becomes available.

Thank you for your support!

Add another one with a pissed off wife who wants to get rid of the obi and go back to reliable pots

bennettg

Quote from: OBiSupport on February 08, 2012, 04:23:29 PM
Update 1:

We believe the issue to be on the mend. 
For those of you experiencing call failures, please try some calls now and report back on your experience.

Thanks!

Was the fix done by google as a result of a google voice problem or was it an obi issue? 

RFord

The only way OBihai could have corrected the problem would be to PUSH an updated firmware to each OB Box (directly or indirectly).  I haven't seen a reboot of my OBi110.  Alternatively, in order for OBihai to know that the "issue to be on the mend", they would have to been some level collaboration between OBihai and Google.  Is this the case...who knows.

Quote from: bennettg on February 08, 2012, 04:39:56 PM

Was the fix done by google as a result of a google voice problem or was it an obi issue? 

jeff_mdimension

As I reported in another thread that I do experience the inbound problem.  I spoke to obihai earlier and they told me it was google's issue.

However, when I call a google voice number where the setup includes PC and headphone attached to PC,  the desktop does receive the signal of an incoming call.  To that end, google voice is working.  What I am saying is  obihai should look further into the problem given google voice@PC works and google voice@obi-110 not.

Of course my observation has "small sampling data" limitation.