News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Sporadic Call Failures, e.g. "503 Issue"

Started by otherwhirl, February 07, 2012, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faith

Hi all: 

I love my OBi202 so far, but I've experienced the 503 error a couple of times. A few days ago, before I upgraded the firmware, I couldn't call my bank. I tried two or three times (can't remember exactly) then gave up and called from another phone.

After the firmware upgrade, everything seemed to be working fine. But today, I couldn't call a friend and it was the same error as before.  I'm not sure if I've missed any inbound calls.

I'm off to read the Google Voice threads recommended above, and will try the 7-8 second delay tip from above.  I'll follow up later with the results I get using the delay.

My thanks to everyone who has been posting on this issue!

TimeForTea

I think it's Google Voice.  I have been having this "503" problem for several days now.  It happens whether I call through my Obi phones or through my internet only laptop.

I did try the advice to wait a few seconds before dialing and that seemed to work this time.

Hope Google fixes it soon.  How do we contact Google for information about this problem?

LeoKing

I didn't need to wait before dialing, I only dialed the numbers slowly like 1 digit/sec. (Thanks to Joseph's post).

LeoKing

I noticed that I didn't have this 503 problem anymore since this afternoon. Now I could dial from the phone directory with no problems.

Koby

I don't think some of you guys understand how a device like the OBi works.  When you pick up the phone, you get dial tone generated by the device, not the service providier, and then it collects the digits you dial and only when you have completed dialing does it actually send anything to the service provider.  Pausing between digits does nothing, nor does picking up the phone and waiting a few seconds before dialing, because either way nothing gets sent to the service provider until you finish dialing.

"But it works for me", you may say.  That's called coincidence.  You experience the problem and redial more slowly, and it seems to work.  In actuality, redialing a second time seems to work much of the time, but it doesn't matter how fast or slow you dial.  There is no VoIP adapter anywhere that sends digits to the provider individually as you dial them, before the call is connected - after that, if you are talking to a computer at the distant end of the call, that's a different story, but that's also not the service provider.

What Obihai could do that would help this situation is to make a firmware change that doesn't just accept the first 503 error and give up, but instead immediately retries the call.  You might be able to make it work that way by creating a Trunk Group and specifying the same service provider, in this case your Google Voice account, multiple times.  For example, if your Google Voice account is sp1, you could try using sp1,sp1,sp1 as the TrunkList value, which in theory would try the call three times before giving up.  You'd then have to use the Trunk Group as the destination for your outbound calls.  I don't know if that would actually work because I have never tried to create a Trunk Group; I just remember reading about them in the Obihai manual that you can download.

pqsteve

I'm having a similar issue with GV - Current call drops, then when I try to reconnect, I get the "there is no service available" message.  GV works from my laptop.  My obi100 is ring no answer on incoming calls.

LeoKing

Redialing the 2nd time, 3rd time, 4th time never worked for me if I used the memory dialing. After reading Joseph's post and doing what he said, I could dial out every time. Now the problem seemed to disappear so it's back to normal again.

Lavarock7

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

MikeHObi

google voice is the cause of the 503 almost positively.  If you get disconnected calls and stuff like that, go to your obi Status Page and check out the Uptime.  I bet it's pretty low.  That indicates the Obi has rebooted for no apparent reason.  Normally it will have a code like (3) next to the time if it is a planned reboot. 

Reboots are Obi problems, sometimes caused by services it connects to but still it should handle such issues better than spontaneously rebooting.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

QBZappy

Quote from: MikeHObi on October 25, 2012, 04:20:31 PM
Reboots are Obi problems, sometimes caused by services it connects to but still it should handle such issues better than spontaneously rebooting.

This may be the Achilles heel of the OBI. Whether it is still true, the PAP2 ata has a reputation for having echo issues. I hope that this problem doesn't get out from this forum. Sometimes these things are hard to shake off once people start talking about it. Until they fix the spontaneous reboots, mum's the word on this. OK folks!

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

gusto

Quote from: JosephM on October 22, 2012, 12:16:32 PM
PS. My friend who works with VOIP a bit says this is a COMMON PROBLEM WITH ata's DEVICES.  He says it has to do with delays in sensing availability and termination of the line for the call. I continue  to not have the 503 problem if i use a 7 or 8 second delay between calls.

Joseph

Joseph,
Thanks to you and your ATA Device Expert Friend, I'm able to make outgoing without the "reason 503" error by slowing down my dialing to about one digit per second. However, I still have a problem with incoming calls occasionally not ringing.