News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do I need a 'dry-loop' or not???

Started by Robert.Thompson, February 13, 2012, 01:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

Presently I have Fibe 25 and a Bell telephone line but I want to scrap the telephone line and use my cordless phone on my OBi using VoIP.ms

I do not use, nor need, any of the telephone jacks in my house except the one jack where my DSL is plug in on.

Does this mean that I must get a 'dry-loop'?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

RonR

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 13, 2012, 01:39:14 PM

Dry-loop does not refer to the telephone jacks in your house.  It refers to DSL service with no accompanying telephone service.  It still comes in on the same outside line from the telephone company as regular telephone service.  How you get it wired from the outside of the house to a DSL modem inside your house is up to you.

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RonR on February 13, 2012, 01:45:05 PM

Dry-loop does not refer to the telephone jacks in your house.  It refers to DSL service with no accompanying telephone service.  It still comes in on the same outside line from the telephone company as regular telephone service.  How you get it wired from the outside of the house to a DSL modem inside your house is up to you.

Ron, thanks for clearing that up.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

Rick

Quote from: RonR on February 13, 2012, 01:45:05 PM

Of utmost importance is to ensure that your phone company have the DSL service setup separately BEFORE you cancel your POTS line, otherwise your DSL service goes dead...

To expand on Ron's answer, which is right on the money, most phone lines have 4 wires, and use only 2 of them, red and green.  The easy steps to make your DSL outlet only work for DSL, and have all the other outlets work with the OBi, are:

1) Go to where the outside phone line hooks to your house wiring.  Connect the incoming red wire to your house yellow wire.  Connect the incoming green wire to your house black wire.  Disconnect the incoming red and green house wires so they are not connected to anything, and wrap the two ends separately in electrical tape so they don't ground out or touch any other wires.  This leaves only the yellow and black wires in your house energized.

2) At the DSL outlet in the house, connect the red jack wire to the yellow wire coming from the wall, and the green jack wire to the black wire coming from the wall.  Plug in your DSL modem to this outlet.  

3) Plug your OBi into any other house phone jack (the Phone port, not the Line port), and assuming you connected it to the internet  ;) all your phones will work fine.  

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: Rick on February 13, 2012, 01:59:32 PM

Of utmost importance is to ensure that your phone company have the DSL service setup separately BEFORE you cancel your POTS line, otherwise your DSL service goes dead...

To expand on Ron's answer, which is right on the money, most phone lines have 4 wires, and use only 2 of them, red and green.  The easy steps to make your DSL outlet only work for DSL, and have all the other outlets work with the OBi, are:

1) Go to where the outside phone line hooks to your house wiring.  Connect the incoming red wire to your house yellow wire.  Connect the incoming green wire to your house black wire.  Disconnect the incoming red and green house wires so they are not connected to anything, and wrap the two ends separately in electrical tape so they don't ground out or touch any other wires.  This leaves only the yellow and black wires in your house energized.

2) At the DSL outlet in the house, connect the red jack wire to the yellow wire coming from the wall, and the green jack wire to the black wire coming from the wall.  Plug in your DSL modem to this outlet.  

3) Plug your OBi into any other house phone jack (the Phone port, not the Line port), and assuming you connected it to the internet  ;) all your phones will work fine.  

Thanks for the great post Rick! :)  (Do you live in Montreal? - just kidding!)

Regarding #1, #2 & #3, is that what Bell does when I ask them to create a 'dry-loop', or, is it something that I should do?

When I call Bell, do I actually use the term 'dry-loop' or do I just say something like 'Please setup my DSL separately from my phone line as I plan to cancel my phone service and use VOIP.'

Thanks for your patience,

Rob.

Rob. (Obi newbie.)

Rick

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 14, 2012, 05:59:42 AM

Thanks for the great post Rick! :)  (Do you live in Montreal? - just kidding!)

Regarding #1, #2 & #3, is that what Bell does when I ask them to create a 'dry-loop', or, is it something that I should do?

When I call Bell, do I actually use the term 'dry-loop' or do I just say something like 'Please setup my DSL separately from my phone line as I plan to cancel my phone service and use VOIP.'

Thanks for your patience,

Rob.

I wouldn't want to guess how Bell Canada does things and lead you astray.  Dry loop is the same as naked DSL, which simply means DSL without phone service.  I suspect when you call Bell, they simply will change the setup in their systems to separate the DSL and phone service.  If they are any good at customer retention, they should ask why...

I would suspect that all the internal changes are your responsibility, they would be here in Michigan, unless I wanted to pay them hourly.

Tango

Quote from: Rick on February 13, 2012, 01:59:32 PM

I hope this question (horse) has not been to death :) even though I think I understand the this thread completely:

It is new to me to get an OBi110 and signed up with FPL in Canada. I am still trying out this and it is most likely I move to the next step: porting my landline number over, and cutting this landline.

As suggested, once the process is completed by the new Service Provider, and even before I call Bell to abandon the landline, I need to order a new dry-loop, or naked DSL from Bell. I also learned Bell will not charge his customer for this new dry loop service. From what Rick explained, Bell tech will come in to remove the landline wires to the phones, and/or connect them directly to their Fibe modem/router. Am I correct?

Since my home when built, I already invested in a star wiring network from the basements for the internet, i.e. 2 separate star networks, one for RJ11 and one for RJ45 (this was back in 1999), my implementation of the analog phone and OBi110 can be slightly different than usual.

In my case, I only need to plug the ATA RJ45 to one of the router outlet RJ45 in any room, and then plug the  analog phone to the PHONE input of the OBi110, which is no different from what I have right now while trying out the "novelty" :).

The remaining RJ11 network is simply unused, unless I want to connect its beginning to the PSTN LINE so that any RJ11 outlet can be used in the house? There is something about this I am not fully understood?

But this is not really necessary for my set up with a cordless phone DECT 6.0, using only one PHONE line at the base station. Other "satellite" wireless phone can be put anywhere in the house.

Thank you for any additional thoughts, and confirming my understanding!

SteveInWA

Well, I dunno about "beaten to death", but the question was answered.

You're asking some fundamental questions about DSL service and telephone service.

DSL uses the same pair of copper wires from the central office (ignoring certain special cases) to your house, that is/was used for the old-fashioned analog telephone service.  DSL simply turns the digital data into a modulated analog signal (like an old dial-up modem), at a higher frequency than you can hear.  It piggy-backs that high-frequency modulated signal on the same pair of wires.

The phone company isn't going to disconnect your wiring; it's necessary to operate DSL.  You'll simply have no analog telephone service on this line, just DSL.  This is also known as "naked DSL".  The phone company (or you) will plug the telephone line into the DSL modem/router combo box that they'll supply.

You don't need to use the RJ=11 phone jacks for your home phone service after that.  You'll instead plug your cordless phone's base station into the RJ-11 jack on the OBi box, and the OBi box's Ethernet jack will connect to your DSL modem/router, or to a multi-port Ethernet switch plugged into the modem/router.

Internet-->telco DSLAM-->telephone line to your house-->DSL modem/router-->Ethernet to your home network computers, OBi, and other gizmos.

Tango

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 31, 2015, 05:26:37 PM

DSL uses the same pair of copper wires from the central office (ignoring certain special cases) to your house, that is/was used for the old-fashioned analog telephone service.  DSL simply turns the digital data into a modulated analog signal (like an old dial-up modem), at a higher frequency than you can hear.  It piggy-backs that high-frequency modulated signal on the same pair of wires.

The phone company isn't going to disconnect your wiring; it's necessary to operate DSL.  You'll simply have no analog telephone service on this line, just DSL.  This is also known as "naked DSL".  The phone company (or you) will plug the telephone line into the DSL modem/router combo box that they'll supply.
Internet-->telco DSLAM-->telephone line to your house-->DSL modem/router-->Ethernet to your home network computers, OBi, and other gizmos.

This is the part about DSL that I vaguely understand; now it is totally clear!

Thank you!