News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to set POTS/PSTN to busy when analog phones are off-hook?

Started by joej, February 14, 2012, 04:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joej

When my analog phones are accidentally set off hook. Anyone calling in through my POTS/PSTN will hear the normal ringing tones but none of the analog phones will ring. Can I send the caller of the POTS/PSTN line the busy signal instead of it ringing as it is very deceptive. I rather the caller get a busy tone if the phones are off hook.

ProfTech

The purpose of buying and installing an Obi implies that you wish to use VOIP phone service in addition to POTS. This means that either someone calling in via the POTS line or the VOIP line is able to ring your phone. Why would you want to busy the VOIP line just because the PSTN line is off hook? Doesn't seem very useful. The only reaso I could see to do what you are talking about would be if you were actually on the phone talking, and this could easily be set up by simply disabling call waiting in the Obi.

joej

Quote from: ProfTech on February 20, 2012, 09:57:56 AM
The purpose of buying and installing an Obi implies that you wish to use VOIP phone service in addition to POTS. This means that either someone calling in via the POTS line or the VOIP line is able to ring your phone. Why would you want to busy the VOIP line just because the PSTN line is off hook? Doesn't seem very useful. The only reaso I could see to do what you are talking about would be if you were actually on the phone talking, and this could easily be set up by simply disabling call waiting in the Obi.
Actually my main reason for this is that sometimes my kids may have left the analog cordless phones attached to the Obi box off-hook after they use it and when I dial in through the PSTN, I would not know that the phones in the house are off-hook as I would hear the normal ringing as though no one is picking up the line whilst in reality the phones inside the house does not ring at all.

DaveTap

Try plugging another phone directly into the POTS and disable incoming POTS calls on the OBi... then when you call in on POTS the Obi doesn't pick up )generating ring-tone) but still calls out on POTS for E911

The other thing you might try is teach your kids to hang up the phone.

Stewart

If you have an old phone (probably corded), connect it on the Line side of the OBi, i.e. directly to the PSTN line.  Then, when the cordless system is off-hook, an incoming call to the PSTN number will still ring the old phone.  Eventually, someone should hear it and answer, so you can tell them to hang up the other phones.  

The old phone may also be useful in an emergency; an off-hook cordless phone, and most problems that might occur with the OBi, won't prevent it from working.

Of course, you won't be able to make or receive VoIP calls from the old phone.

Edit: DaveTap beat me to it.

joej

Quote from: Stewart on February 22, 2012, 06:25:20 AM
If you have an old phone (probably corded), connect it on the Line side of the OBi, i.e. directly to the PSTN line.  Then, when the cordless system is off-hook, an incoming call to the PSTN number will still ring the old phone.  Eventually, someone should hear it and answer, so you can tell them to hang up the other phones.  

The old phone may also be useful in an emergency; an off-hook cordless phone, and most problems that might occur with the OBi, won't prevent it from working.

Of course, you won't be able to make or receive VoIP calls from the old phone.

Edit: DaveTap beat me to it.

Great idea...  should have thought of it. Guess this is the best way to go. It is hard training a 3 and 4 year old to hang up the phone reliably

jimates

Everyone has a different opinion; mine is that kids under 10 shouldn't answer the phone, or place phone calls unattended.

Ostracus

Quote from: DaveTap on February 22, 2012, 06:22:57 AM
Try plugging another phone directly into the POTS and disable incoming POTS calls on the OBi... then when you call in on POTS the Obi doesn't pick up )generating ring-tone) but still calls out on POTS for E911

Shouldn't the "off-hook" tone the POTS sends you cause the Obi110 to hang up? I occasionally have this same problem were someone forgets to hang up.

joej

Quote from: Ostracus on February 25, 2012, 01:26:26 AM
Quote from: DaveTap on February 22, 2012, 06:22:57 AM

Shouldn't the "off-hook" tone the POTS sends you cause the Obi110 to hang up? I occasionally have this same problem were someone forgets to hang up.
This is exactly the problem i have