News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi and Vonage device on same network

Started by bigbob, February 15, 2012, 01:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbob

Hello -

While I have been using Vonage for several years I want to give OBi a try.  I have a
linksys VoIP router for the Vonage service and two Vonage phone numbers. 

Can both these services coexist on the same LAN?  I don't to completely shutdown Vonage until I've test driven OBi for a while.

I gave it a try and the vonage numbers stopped receiving calls after about 24 hrs after i connected
the obihai router.  If i disconnect obihai, incoming calls resumed.  I am using google voice with my obihai.

Maybe it was a coincidence as it's working for the last 10 hours - but now I'm paranoid.  Anyone else have this config working - did you have to do anything special?

bigbob

lk96

Yes I have pretty much the config you describe. My setup is:

PHONE -> Obi110 -> Dlink DIR-655 router -> Motorola Surfboard modem (comcast)

For me it has worked out of the box. I don't recall having to do anything special to
have reliable calls through Vonage (incoming or outgoing). The only modifications
I did specifically for calls that go out through the LINE interface (which is the Vonage interface
in my case) were related to optimizing a bit the digit map and duration of dial tones so that
the time between dialing a number till you get a ring back is minimized/optimized.
But this was just an optimization and not a fix.

bigbob

Thanks.  Seems to be working steadily now.  Just for clarity, I am not using the LINE out on the obi - just connecting into the phone lines via the back of the vonage VoIP modem.

Comcast Cable modem...router...(obi110 and vonage VoIP router)

Per customer support, vonage uses SIP and obi does not so they confirmed they should coexist just fine.

Regards
BB

lk96

actually I had a typo in my setup but you got the idea that my LINE is connected to the Vonage
adaptor. My setup is:

PHONE -> Obi110 -> Vonage adaptor ->  Dlink DIR-655 router -> Motorola Surfboard modem (comcast)

In your case it sounds that you use two separate sets of phones: one set connected to the vonage
PHONE port and one connected to your Obi.

BTW, the statement that Obi doesn't support SIP seems wrong. Obi does support SIP as well
as the XMPP protocol (and whetever else) that allows it to work with Google voice. In fact
and with the above setup I mentioned, I have SIP, Google as well as the Vonage adaptor going through
the Obi. And naturally the Obi is a SIP endpoing in addition to Vonage.

L.

bigbob

Agree - SIP is supported.  the point I meant to relay was that they said it's not being used by both Vonage and Obi/GV so there shouldn't be a conflict.

Unfortunately, I still cannot receive Vonage calls if the Obi router is plugged into the same router (a Medialink 802.11n router) as the Vonage VOIP adapter (Linksys RT31P2).  I can call out via Vonage but cannot receive.

Appreciate any insight into where to look next.

Stewart

Just a guess, but connecting the OBi to a LAN port on the RT31P2 might help.

Another option might be to connect the RT31P2 directly to the cable modem, with the OBi and Medialink connected to LAN ports on the RT31P2.

lk96

To your point that with Obi/GV, there shouldn't be any conflict:
I would guess that the Obitalk network/service is SIP based. So there would
be SIP traffic that is Obihai bound even if you dont have any other commercial SIP-based
account setup.

I'm not familiar at all with the Medialink router/firewall you have.
But one wild thought is that if the NATing performed by your Medialink box
is port-based only, then it's conceivably possible that SIP messages destined
lets say to Vonage end up on a different box. So one suggestion
is investigate carefully if your router has any special options on how
to handle SIP traffic (ie if there is any SIP ALG option turn it off),
and also whether it gives you options on what kind of NATing to
implement.

bigbob

So sip messages destined for the vonage device are likely getting consumed before they get there.  Do they come in on a port that I can route to the vonage router via the nat table?   

If not I will try moving the obi downstream as suggested.  Or finally, maybe there's a wat to tell obi to leave the sip stuff alone or pass it on(?)

Thanks for the prompt replies.

bigbob

:o I noticed that my vonage adapter was left in the dmz (put it in there to improve performance) and removed it.  That resolved the problem. 

BB