News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two OBi w/ One GV - Different Locations

Started by GroupAcumen, March 06, 2011, 10:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroupAcumen

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to have two OBi devices, one at my office and one for my home office, that are both connected to the same GV account. I'm assuming that I would simply have a single obitalk.com account and add two devices.

My goal is to create a call-hunt scenario where both locations phones will ring when a call is coming in through Google Voice. Additionally, I'd like to be able to make outbound calls from both locations using the same GV account.

GV makes it easy to setup a call-hunt situation, but it's the outbound calls that is eluding me. Is there an easier way to be able to make outbound calls from the same GV account in multiple locations without jumping through hoops?

jimates

When I get my second Obi, supposedly today, I am going to find out the answer to that because I want to know the same thing.

Will let you know.

MichiganTelephone

Since both devices will be on the OBiTALK network, you might find it works best if you designate one unit as the master, and only it talks to Google Voice.  Make the other one a slave unit such that when it makes an outgoing call it sends it to the master unit (via OBiTALK) and from there it goes to Google Voice.  For incoming calls, map them to go to both the local phone and also the other OBiTALK destination (the slave unit).  It shouldn't be too hard to set it up that way if you need to.  You could also try having both units connect directly to the same Google Voice account, but while that might work for outgoing calls I'm not sure how well it would work for incoming.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

Which ever unit connects last is the one that rings.

Obi #1 - google as SP1 - set up first
Obi #2 - google as SP1 - set up second

When I called my GV number the phone on Obi #2 rang and the phone on Obi #1 did not.

I rebooted Obi #1, called again and this time the phone on Obi #1 rang, and Obi #2 did not.
I rebooted Obi #2 and got reversed results.

The phone on the Obi that did not ring had a dial tone while the call on the other was in progress.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: jimates on March 07, 2011, 08:42:49 AM
Which ever unit connects last is the one that rings.

I figured that would happen - it's the last one to register that Google Voice sends the calls to.  I think the only way to get what you want is to set up a master/slave relationship between the two units.  When a Google Voice calls comes into the "master" unit, you set the X_InboundCallRoute to send it to both the local phone port and to the OBiTALK number of the "slave" device - I am not sure of the exact syntax for doing that off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's doable.  Also, you would want to route incoming OBiTALK network calls FROM the slave device calls fitting the pattern 1 XXX XXX XXXX to SP1 (assuming Google Voice is on SP1).

On the slave device, you could route outgoing calls fitting the above pattern to the OBiTALK number of the master device.  So basically there would probably be three settings that would have to be changed:

The X_InboundCallRoute setting for SP1 on the master device
The InboundCallRoute for the OBiTALK service on the master device
The PHONE port outbound call route on the slave device

I'm not 100% sure that incoming caller ID would pass through from the master to the slave device on incoming calls, but my guess is that it would.  As I say, the only thing I don't know offhand is the exact patterns those settings would need to be, particularly since you'd only want to accept outgoing Google calls from the "slave" unit and not just anyone that happens to send a call to your OBiTALK number, and also I'm not sure how to preserve the original dialed number in such a scenario so that you can pass it through to the master device.  Of course you can always call the "master" unit, get the device's auto attendant menu, and make your call that way, but I'm just thinking it may be possible for you to dial a call in the usual manner on the "slave" device, and have it forward that call to the "master" device, so the operation is more transparent to the "slave" device user.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

Maybe it is as simple as this

Home to Office Phone System Extension Wizard http://www.obihai.com/pbxExtension.html

I saw this once before an never looked at it in depth.
b) Calls to your office phone extension should ring your home OBi phone as well as the phone at the office.

brav

using the extension wizard mentioned above (setup gv on office box first, left sp parts blank on the home box), i can receive/make calls without probs on the office (master) box, but i can't receive incoming calls on the home (slave) box. also, when i make calls using the slave box, an attendant picks up the phone first before i can dial out.