News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is the Obi/GV quality really better than nettalk.

Started by Ohmytvc15, February 18, 2012, 05:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohmytvc15

I just purchased a Nettalk Duo from Walmart for $69 (yes i know its cheaper on Amazon). So far I'm pretty impressed with it. I use to have a Skype phone that was such a pain. I haven't had a land line in ages and its really nice to hear a dial tone and talk on a real phone. I found the Nettalk super easy to set up. I've made a few calls the past few days and the quality isn't that bad. Most of the calls went through fine and only a call to my sisters cell phone was it really horrible with bad latency (though I always have problems with her cell on other phones too). Every call to me has always come through. Seems calling land lines is better than cell phones.

The main problem I have with call quality is a static sound. It's not too bad but it is there. I'm not sure if it is the Nettalk or the $20 Uniden cordless phone I bought with it as my router is a wireless router and its in the same vicinity.

Anyway, after reading reviews of the OBI 100 on Amazon I was really surprised to see all the 5 star reviews. And its nearly 30 bucks cheaper and free service with google voice. However it seems to be more complicated than Nettalk. I'm pretty skilled at computers but I never really quite understood google voice.

I guess my question is: Is the call quality really going to be that much better than nettalk? It would be nice to get rid of the static. I'm thinking this is going to be better and that Nettalk/Magic jack is inferior. Any opinions before I order?

jimates

The only way to know if the call quality is going to be better is to get one and try it in the same environment.

I never had a problem with Netttalk call quality.

You can get an Obi110 and still keep the Nettalk. Connect the Nettalk to the line port of the Obi110. Even if you don't use the Nettalk for anything else, you will have e911 service with it.

Ohmytvc15

Thanks. I'm considering buying it and even if the voice quality is the same I can return my nettalk. Not worried about 911 as my cell has this service. Just want the most reliable service. I guess the 5 star reviews are swaying me.

lk96

I also have a nettalk that is installed in Greece. Main reason was to get a US # there.
I bought the nettalk device/service before I became aware of Obi.

From a voice quality point of view I cannot complain about nettalk as it's been
working fairly solidly. The one thing that is flaky with nettalk (at least my adaptor)
is that it needs to be reset (power cycled) every about 10-15 days.

So if you plan to leave a nettalk device somewhere far away expecting to be
working solidly in an unmanaged way, think again. But if there are people
that have physical access to the device and they don't mind an occasional reset,
then voice quality has been always good for me.

L.

jimates

Ohmytvc15,

I tell everyone that is considering migrating completely to google voice to consider the fact that you have no control over the voicemail. You cannot turn it off or adjust the rings. Google will pick up after 25 seconds which is approx. 4 rings.

Other services may offer more flexibility or features but for what google voice gives the voicemail issue is the only negative I have found in several years of usage.

goob

I've been a nettalk user for about 2 years and just got my obitalk today.  I have the nettalk tk6000 which isn't available any more (it only required a one-time payment), but I strongly suspect that it's the same as the nettalk duo in terms of sound quality.  The duo requires an annual payment.  Nettalk doesn't offer the tk6000 any more.

Anyway, I started looking for a replacement device due to the static and choppy sounds I've been experiencing lately with the tk6000.  Until recently it had, overall, been a great device.   They put out a firmware update which I just received today, and that supposedly fixes some call quality issues, but I haven't checked it yet.

I just finished my first call with the obi100, and I have to say I am amazed with how clear the call is.  It sounded almost like a landline.  I've been using voip services since around 2004, which was when I cancelled my landline, and I've had several voip providers since then.  Nettalk was about in the middle of the line in terms of call quality.  From the *one* (lol) call I've made with obitalk, I'd put it at the top along with Broadvoice.

I was hesitant as I thought maybe the amazon reviews were paid for, but now I'm thinking maybe they really are genuine.

Of course I can't say whether your obitalk quality will be better than your nettalk connection, but for me there was a big difference between the two.  I'll still use my nettalk as a backup line.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Ohmytvc15

Just to let you know i recieved it today and have had it hooked up for about 8 hours. Call quality is good but i wouldn't say its any better than Nettalk. They sound the same, that is, the quality is good but not as high as a land line. But it will do. Set-up was super easy and works great. I send the nettalk back. It was $69 with a anuall fee after the first year. I don't see any sense in keeping it. Thanks