News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice forwarding to 2 phones

Started by Ohmytvc15, February 19, 2012, 10:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohmytvc15

I've posted this in google communities but no answers. I've ordered the OBI 100 so now I am just experimenting with google voice. I currently have a cell phone and a nettalk voip phone. I just did a simple set up in google voice adding the cell phone as a mobile and the nettalk as a home. I haven't activated voice mail on either. Now i am expecting when someone calls my GV# that both of these phones will ring until I answer one of them. But what I am getting is that they both ring but the cell phone disconnects after one ring. The nettalk phone will ring about 6 times and then quit.  If I uncheck the nettalk phone, then the cell rings until I pick it up. But with both of them checked the cell disconnects right away and i get a missed call message. Any ideas?

Stewart

I am guessing that Nettalk is giving False Answer Supervision.  To test, dial your Nettalk number (not your GV number) directly from your cell phone.  Don't answer the Nettalk line.  If working correctly (no FAS), your cell phone should not show "connected" and start counting call time, until Nettalk voicemail picks up.

If it shows connected too soon, a somewhat cumbersome workaround is to turn on Call Screening in GV (Settings, Calls tab).

RonR

Most likely netTalk is doing what's known as False Answer Supervision.  If that's the case, netTalk actually answers all incoming calls immediately but sends a ringback tone to the caller until the called party actually answers or voicemail picks up.

Ohmytvc15

Quote from: Stewart on February 19, 2012, 10:27:24 AM
I am guessing that Nettalk is giving False Answer Supervision.  To test, dial your Nettalk number (not your GV number) directly from your cell phone.  Don't answer the Nettalk line.  If working correctly (no FAS), your cell phone should not show "connected" and start counting call time, until Nettalk voicemail picks up.

If it shows connected too soon, a somewhat cumbersome workaround is to turn on Call Screening in GV (Settings, Calls tab).

I called the nettalk number from my cell phone. It rings 5 or 6 times until nettalk voice mail answers.

Stewart

Quote from: Ohmytvc15 on February 19, 2012, 11:37:01 AMI called the nettalk number from my cell phone. It rings 5 or 6 times until nettalk voice mail answers.
Fine, but I asked you to watch the cell phone, not just listen to it.  At what point does it show connected?

RonR

Quote from: Ohmytvc15 on February 19, 2012, 11:37:01 AM
I called the nettalk number from my cell phone. It rings 5 or 6 times until nettalk voice mail answers.

Hang up before netTalk goes to voicemail and check your cell phone billing history.  You will probably find you were charged airtime minutes because the call was in fact answered by netTalk as far as your cell phone (or anyone else) is concerned.

Ohmytvc15

Quote from: Stewart on February 19, 2012, 11:42:29 AM
Quote from: Ohmytvc15 on February 19, 2012, 11:37:01 AMI called the nettalk number from my cell phone. It rings 5 or 6 times until nettalk voice mail answers.
Fine, but I asked you to watch the cell phone, not just listen to it.  At what point does it show connected?

Ah shows connected right away while its ringing the number.

Ohmytvc15

Not a biggie if I return the nettalk. Thats a big downer for people that use nettalk. I'm going to snoop around some of the nettalk forums.

RonR

Quote from: Ohmytvc15 on February 19, 2012, 12:02:02 PM
Thats a big downer for people that use nettalk.

It's a bigger downer for people who call people that use netTalk.  They get charged for the call even if they hang up before the netTalk user they're calling answers or the call goes to voicemail.

jimates

Quote from: RonR on February 19, 2012, 10:28:37 AM
Most likely netTalk is doing what's known as False Answer Supervision.  If that's the case, netTalk actually answers all incoming calls immediately but sends a ringback tone to the caller until the called party actually answers or voicemail picks up.

I can confirm that this is the normal activity for Nettalk. I had one for home phone and had to only use it for outgoing because I use google voice exclusively and because of the action you described I could not get any calls on other phones.