News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Replace Vonage -> Multiple Google Voice #s

Started by Emagin, February 21, 2012, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emagin

Right now I have one Vonage ATA / Phone Number
Forwards calls to:
1 Handset hooked up to ATA
3 Google Voice #s

I'd like to port Vonage Number to Obi-110 device
Which SIP provider should I be using?  Callcentric, Vitelity, Etc?
Will I still be able to ring 3 GVoice Numbers?

I have read a lot of threads on porting #s to T-Mobile, then to GVoice.
I do not wish to have the main Phone # ported to Gvoice, because GVoice can't forward to other Gvoice #s
Does this mean I need to use SIP provider or Can Obi-110 do this automatically with such a ported #?

Thank you.

---
Obi-202

jimates

The Obi can fork the calls to other GV numbers but if the original call is coming in on GV then that GV voicemail will always pick up the call after 25 seconds. By the time the call gets forwarded around you may not have much time to answer on the forwarded phones.

If you don't mind the small costs of using a sip provider over the free GV you may be better off going that route.

Stewart

You can potentially fork calls at the provider, in the OBi, or both.

Vitelity has no forking ability, except for simultaneously ringing two SIP devices.

Callcentric allows ringing up to three destinations simultaneously, which can be PSTN, your SIP device, or a SIP URI.  You could use a second (free) account to expand beyond three.

Anveo allows ringing up to four destinations;  VoIP.ms allows at least four and may have no limit.

With all of the above, calls forwarded to PSTN numbers are billed as normal outgoing calls.  Of course, if you forward in the OBi, there would be no charge if you used GV for the outbound leg, but then you would not be able to pass the original caller ID to the destination.

Some "unlimited" providers, including VOIPo and Phonepower, permit forwarding to multiple PSTN numbers without a per-minute charge.  (Those calls do count against your cap, but with either of the two mentioned, it's 5000 minutes, so you are very unlikely to run over.)