News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Logo on 202 ?

Started by Wildcatz, February 11, 2015, 03:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcatz

All
I never saw this in the pictures, yet when the unit showed up it has Google Voice printed over the front of the 202, is this now the standard way this is showing up ? Preferred it blank

Thanks

SteveInWA

Chrissake, get some model paint and cover it up.  Obihai asked and Google agreed, to allow Obihai to now add the GV logo to the products, noting their official acceptance by Google.

Ansextra

Just for the record I have an Obi202 and it does not have the GV logo.

SteveInWA

It was added some time around the middle of last year, as I recall, and I assume some stock still was without the labels.

Considering how many thousands of users hollered and wrung their hands over the impending doom, you'd think that a GV logo on the box would be welcome as a reassuring sign of peace, love and happiness between the companies.

Crow550

Yeah this is totally a good thing.

Shows Google Voice has an approved device for FREE landline service.

Don't complain over petty crap like a logo.

People were worried Google was gonna throw G-Voice under the bus and now it has MMS picture messaging and officially supported voip calling. Sure it took a few years but here we are getting snazzy updates.

Now Obihai devices have a stamp of approval. This is great. :)

WelshPaul

What about countries where Google Voice isn't supported or even offered? Do they get a logo printed on their devices also? Is this a states thing?

This could result in many VoIP providers not offering the device for sale on their platform. Unless they choose to go down the 3xx series and that doesn't have the logo? However even then here in the UK only Vonage offer locked down hardware, not many speak highly of them! Locked down hardware is widely hated here in the UK.

What about those who see the logo on amazon.co.uk and purchase the device thinking it's going to work with Google Voice? negative comments and many returns are likely! (The Obihai hardware over on amazon.co.uk don't show the logo)

I think they would of been better off applying the logo via a sticker myself.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

202Owner

Quote from: WelshPaul on February 24, 2015, 04:02:06 AM
What about countries where Google Voice isn't supported or even offered? Do they get a logo printed on their devices also? Is this a states thing?

This could result in many VoIP providers not offering the device for sale on their platform. Unless they choose to go down the 3xx series and that doesn't have the logo? However even then here in the UK only Vonage offer locked down hardware, not many speak highly of them! Locked down hardware is widely hated here in the UK.

What about those who see the logo on amazon.co.uk and purchase the device thinking it's going to work with Google Voice? negative comments and many returns are likely! (The Obihai hardware over on amazon.co.uk don't show the logo)

I think they would of been better off applying the logo via a sticker myself.

Good points!  (The OBi300 Series does not support GV, so no logo.)

Maybe Google required it or strongly suggested it.  Or maybe Obihai needed to demonstrate some confidence in their shaken alliance.

Without 911 etc., GV is a bit of a toy compared to other SIP phone service.  This rubs ON with the logo, imo.

Mango

Quote from: WelshPaul on February 24, 2015, 04:02:06 AM
What about countries where Google Voice isn't supported or even offered? Do they get a logo printed on their devices also?

Yes.  One of the Canadian distributors just posted a photo of the devices in his latest shipment, which have the logo.

Crow550

It's just a logo.

Obi also makes it's quite clear you can use any other VOIP service you want too.

You can also easily add 911 with Google Voice too.

This is not a big deal at all. Also not the first time a device has a some other company logo on it.

One of the big reasons it's on the box is most likely because they have Google to thank for selling so many of these boxes and are still around because of it.

A lot of VOIP box companies have came and went.... A lot wish they could sell like hot cakes like Obi has because of G-Voice support.

Who knows maybe G-Voice is planning to roll out in other areas?

G-Voice is the biggest seller for these boxes. Then followed by their support for many different voip providers.

Bigger things to worry about than a logo on a piece of Hardware....

WelshPaul

Quote from: Crow550 on February 24, 2015, 05:12:52 PMBigger things to worry about than a logo on a piece of Hardware....
Who said their worried?

It's good people voice their opinions be it negative or positive, it's this that helps a product or service grow and improve over time. I for one don't give a hoot if an Obihai ATA comes with a Google Voice logo on it but others will. As their the ones spending their money purchasing and using these devices it's always good to listen to them even if you disagree with their opinion.

Nobody should ever feel they shouldn't post an opinion no matter how trivial or stupid others may feel it is.

Like I said above, I know for a fact that several of the UK based VoIP companies wouldn't offer an Obihai device(S) for sale on their platform with a Google Voice logo on it. That's like walking into Tesco and picking up a can of ASDA branded pop.

The 3xx series is unheard of here in the UK, like I said people don't like locked down hardware. Nobody gives them away for free anyway. You save at best a couple of pounds on them and when your customer has finished using your services and wants to move providers but can not use their hardware they usually end up slating your business because of it.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

ianobi

WelshPaul - Please confirm that this must-have beanie device also works at UK mind control frequencies - I fear that I am already under some malign influence that makes me go into digit map producing frenzies    :D