News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Remote adding Trusted Callers and Speed Dials

Started by Jeff47, February 23, 2012, 08:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff47

I am setting up an OBi100 for my mom living outside of states. I still have the OBi100 with me for now. I am not an expert user myself and prefer to mangae the device through OBITALK web portal whenever possible.

Can I add Trusted Callers and setup Speed Dial remotely through OBITALK web portal? I am guessing the answer is "no", since I tested it by Add Line from my work place through OBITALK web portal, and nothing happen. Same happens to Speed Dials.

If I have to enter Expert Configuration to add/modify/delete Speed Dials or Trusted Callers, could someone give me simple instructions on how to do that? I really don't want to mess up anything in Expert Configuration. Thanks!

jimates

RonR and Stewart will tell you the Obitalk portal is not reliable. RonR also says he has no experience what soever with the portal (because he likes direct access to the device and thinks everyone else should also) and may pass on helping you because of that.

And Stewart just likes to give people an alternative way to what they really want to do (and stay on RonR's good side).

I have never had a problem with settings done from the expert configuration getting sent to the device. But just adding trusted callers is much too basic and usually does not get the needed results. I suggest editing the callroutes, which can be done from the expert configuration.

Managing from the Obitalk portal requires that you have not turned off auto provisioning.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on February 23, 2012, 08:56:16 AM
RonR also says he has no experience what soever with the portal (because he likes direct access to the device and thinks everyone else should also) and may pass on helping you because of that.

I have never stated that I have no experience whatsoever with the OBiTALK Web Portal.  I state that I do not use it.

In fact, I have considerable experience with the OBiTALK Web Portal, which is the reason I do not use or support it.

Jeff47

Gentlemen,
I take all the help I can get, and I really appreciate the help from all of you.

jimates,

I did follow your instructions, and was able to add OBi100 to OBi110 as in the other I post earlier.
I have setup mine and my brothers' number in Speed Dials of the OBi100 for my mom, so it is pretty much ready to send to her. However, I am sure the need will arise that I need to remotely add/modify speed dial for her, and want to test that out. How do I add/modify Speed Dials or Trusted Callers from callroutes from expert configuration? Could you provide some details, or help me with an example?

RonR,
I don't oppose to modify the configuration by direct access. I simply didn't know how to log in directly until I read one of your post this morning. I will give it a try this evening. Again, I just need you guys to spell out the instructions in more details so I can follow.

Thanks,

jimates

Speed dials for the Obi are set from the dash board, not from within the expert config.
Select your Obi device from the dash board, then on the left on the select "Speed Dials" and add or edit the speed dial entries.

CallRoutes and DigitMaps can be edited from within the expert config.

I don't have my Obi100 anymore, I only have Obi110's.
Adding a number as a trusted caller from the dash board only does one thing. It adds the number to the
POTS-line InboundCallRoute only. This directs those numbers (when calling in on the POTS Line) to the auto attendant where the caller can select how to complete the call.

I am not sure what it does for the Obi100 since there is no POTS Line.

How will you be calling into the Obi100?

Jeff47

I thought you could call from one OBi1xx to another OBi1xx, regardless it is an OBi100 or OBi110, then call out to other numbers. But, you are right; I should be only concerned about the ability of calling from OBi100 to my OBi110, then call out to my brothers here in states.

I have setup GV on both OBi110 and OBi100, and is how I hope we will call each other. Hopefully, GV will work in Taiwan as if it is in states and with the same sound quality. If not, or Google start charging monthly fee after 2012, we may try calling each other by **9 OBi device number. Adding OBi100 and my brothers to Trusted Callers will enable them to call each other through my OBi110.

I was able to add speed dial by OBi dash board, or direct login as RonR mentioned. But, it seems like I still can't add speed dial remotely. I read about export the port for remote configuring in RonR's post, which is ouside of my comfort zone. Maybe I will give that a try some other day.