News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 lines using Google Voice, both with 911

Started by asobi, October 05, 2011, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asobi

I'd like to have two lines using google voice and both with 911. Both lines should ring at the same time, and have the same number, with the usual call waiting, etc on both.

I'm willing to buy two devices if that is necessary.

Is this possible? Especially the 911 part.

jimates

You will need 2 devices if you want both google voice numbers to ring at the same time. You can't list a google voice number as a forwarding number in another google voice account, so in order to get both numbers to ring at the same time you will let the Obi fork the incoming call to the other Obi.

If you only have google voice for service there is no provided 911 service. Alternately you can set the Obi to call any number when you press 911. Your 911 call center or your local emergency service can provide you with an alternate number that will ring there. Calls to alternate numbers do not deliver your detailed info like 911 so you will have to provide details when calling the alternate number.

RonR

Google Voice does NOT support 911.  Each Google Voice account (line) will have a separate number.

Stewart

Don't depend on a kludge for emergencies; sign up with a reputable provider.  For example, get an account with Callcentric.  E911 is $1.50/mo.; there are no other monthly charges.  It's also a reliable backup to GV ($0.0198/min. for domestic calls) and provides high quality international calling at rates lower than GV.

wwitzke

This is very cool, goodbye vonage...  I have been very happy with them, but free is free... :o

So anyway, as for the 911 thru callcentric, what service do I need to use to get 911 coverage? just the free IP Freedom account? or pay per call?

Thank You!!

Stewart

Quote from: wwitzke on March 02, 2012, 09:18:23 PMwhat service do I need to use to get 911 coverage? just the free IP Freedom account? or pay per call?
Yo need Pay Per Call.  Once you select that, it should take you through the 911 setup automatically.  You'll be charged $3 immediately (setup charge + first month), then $1.50 per month thereafter.

You might also look at Anveo, who charge only $0.80/mo. for 911.  Although their reliability record is also excellent, they are the "new kids on the block" and don't have the track record of Callcentric, who have been providing reliable VoIP for more than 10 years.