News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[S]If I buy a Voip phone, do I connect it to my OBi 110?

Started by Robert.Thompson, February 26, 2012, 01:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

Does a VOIP phone work with an OBi 110 or do I need something else as well?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

RonR

The configuration described here should allow the use of a VoIP phone, ATA, or other SIP-based client with an OBi:

Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk Using SIP

This is what I use with a PAP2 for additional telephones connected to the OBi.

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RonR on February 26, 2012, 01:09:03 PM
The configuration described here should allow the use of a VoIP phone, ATA, or other SIP-based client with an OBi:

Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk Using SIP

This is what I use with a PAP2 for additional telephones connected to the OBi.

Thanks Ron.

Just one question: Is there any point in buying a VOIP phone?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RonR

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 26, 2012, 01:36:46 PM

What are you trying to accomplish?  Do you already have an unused ATA?

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RonR on February 26, 2012, 01:49:25 PM
Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 26, 2012, 01:36:46 PM

What are you trying to accomplish?  Do you have already an unused ATA?

Hi Ron:

I have an OBi 110 and I am using it.

What I am trying to accomplish is to terminate my Bell Canada land line and to go VOIP but I would like to have the best possible voice quality.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RonR

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 26, 2012, 02:02:11 PM
What I am trying to accomplish is to terminate my Bell Canada land line and to go VOIP but I would like to have the best possible voice quality.

Isn't a decent quality analog telephone plugged into the OBi PHONE Port all you need for that?

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RonR on February 26, 2012, 02:07:26 PM
Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 26, 2012, 02:02:11 PM

Isn't a decent quality analog telephone plugged into the OBi PHONE Port all you need for that?

I guess that is what I am trying to find out - does a VOIP phone give you any better call quality than a ATA/analog phone setup?
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

RonR

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 26, 2012, 02:14:16 PM
I guess that is what I am trying to find out - does a VOIP phone give you any better call quality than a ATA/analog phone setup?

I think the consensus is that VoIP phones have better audio quality, but my usage experience with them is somewhat limited and I'm not terribly picky in that area, so I'm not the best guy make a statement about it.

Robert.Thompson

Quote from: RonR on February 26, 2012, 02:22:29 PM
Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 26, 2012, 02:14:16 PM

I think the consensus is that VoIP phones have better audio quality, but my usage experience with them is somewhat limited and I'm not terribly picky in that area, so I'm not the best guy make a statement about it.

Thank you.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

sic0048

Even if a VOIP phone produces a better quality call, the analog phones are more than adequate.  You have to ask yourself is it worth spending $$ (perhaps $100-$150) per VOIP phone.

Stewart

If you use the phones a lot, an IP phone system will allow you to make or receive a call on any phone, while another is in use (though you can also accomplish that with the proper analog phone setup and multiple ATAs).

You have more flexibility in handling multiple calls.  For example, you're on a call and put it on hold to answer another.  You can transfer the new call to your wife (at home or on her cell) and then resume the original conversation.

Some ATA configurations have problems with DTMF transmission, DTMF talkoff, or echo heard by the remote party.  These issues are very unlikely with an IP phone.  Doubletalk performance is better with IP phones, though not perfect.

Recent IP phones support wideband codecs, often called "HD voice".  This offers vastly improved voice quality, but is unfortunately presently available only when your contact is using the same provider, e.g. both on Callcentric or both on VoIP.ms, or if iNum or other peering is available between them.  Of course, your contact must also have an HD phone.

ranya001

i think that a VOIP phone can give you a better call quality. I have been using it for years