News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBi and GV Outside the USA

Started by 4myphones, March 07, 2011, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4myphones

i am a long time GV user (from the beginning of Grand Central before the Goggle buyout) Stanaphone and FWD before that

i live overseas and while i can use Google Voice to make calls
i cannot use GV in Gmail it is being blocked based on my IP@ i tried a Proxy and it works fine but i cannot run a Proxy all the time

So my question is will OBi110 replace my PAP2 and work based on my foreign IP@  

BTW all has been good with GV-Gizmo-PAP2 (or any other Voip but Gizmo is great) but now Gizmo is shutting down

is there a list of good Voip alternatives that is also free

thank you  

UPDATE
been away awhile and want to let everyone know that from day one more then 1 year ago my Obi110 worked perfectly i even have my Obi110 working off a 3G router  
i know its not relevant now as Google opened GV and calling in Gmail (i think everywhere)  

jimates

The use of the Obi will not change the restrictions of the SIP providers (or of Google) that are configured on it. You can place the Obi in the states and then call through it using the Obion app or another Obi.

4myphones

thanks you for the reply

i am hoping not to need 2 OBi110 ATA

right now i use my PAP2 and it works fine with GV to Gizmo or any other Voip BUT
the OBi110 lets you bypass the need to use GV to make calls something a PAP2 can't do
my question since OBi110 connects to my Google account will is work overseas

right now my Google Voice account is fully usable overseas and that is how i make all my calls  BUT
i do not have the ability to you use Gmail to make calls that feature is not available to me unless i run a Proxy and when i do i can make calls from Gmail

So can anyone tell me what part of my Google account does the OBi110 connect to my GV  or my Gmail account for me one works and one does not

QBZappy

4myphones,

Unrelated to your question, but it occurred to me that in your situation you might be better served if you setup the Obi unit in the USA and used the ObiApp to make your calls using the Obi unit as the gateway. This might be a different approach to get what you want. Of course this depends if you have someone in the USA who can maintain the Obi unit and you don't mind making calls from your computer.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

mykmayk

Quote from: 4myphones on March 07, 2011, 01:14:35 PM
is there a list of good Voip alternatives that is also free

before obi110, i used the following sip providers (which i think had better audio than gizmo5):
sipgate
localphone using ipkall
ideasip using ipkall
iptel using ipkall

the last 3 doesn't have DID but i used ipkall to associate an actual US phone number with the SIP address.  all 4 have FREE incoming calls.  outgoing calls are possible for the 1st 3 but are not free.  (the last 3 are practically the same as gizmo5 functionality -- in that they have no actual US phone number associated with them and that they have free incoming calls).  the 1st one is better since there's a US phone number linked with it.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

jimates

Quote from: 4myphones on March 07, 2011, 02:16:01 PM
thanks you for the reply

i am hoping not to need 2 OBi110 ATA

right now i use my PAP2 and it works fine with GV to Gizmo or any other Voip BUT
the OBi110 lets you bypass the need to use GV to make calls something a PAP2 can't do
my question since OBi110 connects to my Google account will is work overseas

right now my Google Voice account is fully usable overseas and that is how i make all my calls  BUT
i do not have the ability to you use Gmail to make calls that feature is not available to me unless i run a Proxy and when i do i can make calls from Gmail

So can anyone tell me what part of my Google account does the OBi110 connect to my GV  or my Gmail account for me one works and one does not
The Obi connects as if you were signing into your gmail account, which you can now do. But it works as if it were the Google Chat feature of gmail to place calls, which you can not use. I guess until someone tries it and gives a guaranteed answer it would be a toss up.

4myphones

i want to clear a few things up

1: Google only lets you sign up for GV from within the USA (i needed a friend in the USA or remote desktop type program that was connected to a USA computer) a good proxy would probably work also

2: once i created my GV account i have FULL access to it overseas with no proxy and it works fine and i have Google Chat enabled in GV

3: in Gmail i have the Voice & Video (Chat plugin) installed i even see the camera icon showing me that its installed properly and my Gmail interface language is set to English (US)
i just do not have the option to Call Phones in Gmail

4: if i run a proxy like uSurf or others the Call Phones option appears  and i can make & receive calls in side of Gmail

i hope i do not have a problem with OBi110 (just ordered it yesterday it will take a few weeks for my to get once my Family recieves it(

ItsAllGood

I did use the OBi110 in Costa Rica in February.  I set it up in the US prior to departure.  We all forwarded our mobile numbers to the Google Voice number when we left the states.  It worked very well.  We made and received close to 200 calls during the week, all without any tolls.

Connection type: plugged into a Linksys router that was using cable Internet, 2Mbps/56Kbps
Calls: To and From the United States

ShermanObi

Going forward, the purpose of this topic is to memorialize success associated with using OBi devices with Google Voice outside the USA.

Where were you?
How were you connected to the Internet?
What kind of calls worked?
What kind of calls did not work?
Any other observations?

4myphones

i am based in israel (and i cannot believe israel is blocking anything
israel FWIW invented VOIP and does not block it

So far i have tried my local isp (018) and i have a cellular data modem (Celcom) and that does not work
i eagerly await the arrival of my OBi but it has not even shipped yet

BTW a few months ago i tried Asterisk pbx 1.8 and that DID work (but i sold the old laptop it was running on)

OBi-Guru

Based on information collected from some friends, GV calls with OBi work from:

Australia, Japan, HK, Indonesia, Panama, Singapore

4myphones

Quote from: OBi-Guru on March 10, 2011, 09:10:09 AM
Based on information collected from some friends, GV calls with OBi work from:

Australia, Japan, HK, Indonesia, Panama, Singapore
i hope to add to the list

i am curious if anyone in the above Countries can "Call Phones" inside of Gmail or only through Obi

thanks for continued feedback

CodaMan

I will be receiving my Obi110 on Monday.  I will also be going on a 6 week business trip to Australia in a few weeks and would like to be able to use my Google Voice number over there.  What is the theory behind making it work from my Australian hotel room?

Can I just get it all working here state side, go to Australia and connect the Obi110 to a router in my hotel room, connect an analog phone to it and it will all work -- and people can call my GV number and the Obi110 will ring the phone?

Is it that easy?  if not, how can I make it work?

CodaMan

QBZappy

CodaMan,

Hi

You might want to ask that question to Thunderbird1. I think he is in Australia. Hope he is reading this. Maybe PM him. I'm not certain if it was confirmed that GV works from that region. Can anyone from down under confirm this.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

Because of the limitations of google voice working with ip addresses outside the US we can't say for sure. The best and proven setup is to have 2 units, one in the US and one with you.

You set up your GV number on the US unit and have it forward all calls to the unit overseas. You just answer the phone there for each call coming in on your GV number.

You can also place calls from overseas by calling your Obi in the US and placing outgoing calls over your GV number.

The new Obi110 is much smaller for travel purposes, or you could just use the Obitalk app for PC or the Obion app for smatphone instead of a 2nd unit.

The newest beta firmware includes direct dialing through endpoints. That means you could just pick up the phone on the overseas unit, dial a number, and it is delivered through your google voice number in the US. The new beta firmware just came out so no date for normal release.

Obitalk

Just wanted to update the list of countries.

GV calls with OBi work from:

Australia, Japan, HK, Indonesia, Panama, Singapore, Sri Lanka

4myphones

i will only get mine in about 3 weeks from now
of course i will post here if and when i get it up and running

CodaMan

Quote from: Obitalk on March 17, 2011, 11:53:49 AM
Just wanted to update the list of countries.

GV calls with OBi work from:

Australia, Japan, HK, Indonesia, Panama, Singapore, Sri Lanka

You say that it works from Australia, my question is how?  What's the configuation?

CodaMan

Quote from: jimates on March 17, 2011, 11:00:17 AM
... You set up your GV number on the US unit and have it forward all calls to the unit overseas. You just answer the phone there for each call coming in on your GV number...

And how is this done?  How is the state side GV number forwarded to an Obi unit?