News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBi and GV Outside the USA

Started by 4myphones, March 07, 2011, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Noob here.

Sending a new OBi100 to family in DUBAI (UAE). All we need is to call each other using our OBi numbers (OBi to OBi call). What steps do I need to take here in the States before I send the device to Dubai? Thanks for your help.

QBZappy

James,

Quote from: James on July 11, 2012, 07:17:23 AM
Noob here.

Sending a new OBi100 to family in DUBAI (UAE). All we need is to call each other using our OBi numbers (OBi to OBi call). What steps do I need to take here in the States before I send the device to Dubai? Thanks for your help.

I would not send an OBi overseas without setting it up with a second (backup) voip service. Consider setting up a free sip2sip acct as well. https://mdns.sipthor.net/register_sip_account.phtml

Before sending it you should test it at a friend's house to simulate calling over the internet. By the way, are there any internet restrictions in DUBAI (UAE) which might impede a voip call?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

James

Quote from: QBZappy on July 11, 2012, 07:47:49 AM
James,

I would not send an OBi overseas without setting it up with a second (backup) voip service. Consider setting up a free sip2sip acct as well. https://mdns.sipthor.net/register_sip_account.phtml

Before sending it you should test it at a friend's house to simulate calling over the internet. By the way, are there any internet restrictions in DUBAI (UAE) which might impede a voip call?

I may not be able to explain this properly, but services like Skype are blocked in UAE from what I understand. I currently use Localphone to call and it eats up my money real fast.

As I explained, I am super Noob when it comes to VoIP - but since I have a OBi100 (connected to Google Voice) my thought I could send a OBi100 to my family in UAE and just use their OBi to OBi free call feature. Will this work?

I am sorry I know you are trying to help, but I have no clue about the a "second (backup) voip service" and a "sip2sip acct" - why do I need these?

Thanks again.

QBZappy

James,

Quote from: James on July 11, 2012, 12:30:08 PM
but services like Skype are blocked in UAE from what I understand.

but since I have a OBi100 (connected to Google Voice) my thought I could send a OBi100 to my family in UAE and just use their OBi to OBi free call feature. Will this work?

but I have no clue about the a "second (backup) voip service" and a "sip2sip acct" - why do I need these?

I was pretty certain that UAE was blocking communication via the internet in some fashion.

I believe I remember someone else asking questions on how to setup an OBi in the UAE. You may have to search the forum here and/or ask the question over at another popular international (mostly N. America) voip forum. I know there are OBi users who might be able to confirm if people have set it up in that region.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

You may also ask the OBi support people directly by sending them an email. They know where every OBi is physically located on the planet.

As for "second (backup) voip service", you have now mentioned that you have setup Google Voice. That already is a backup voip channel just in case the OBiTALK service is down or blocked. Since the OBi has 2 Service Provider accts you should set them up and use them while the unit is in your hands. Once it is away it may be more difficult to trouble shoot. Although there are ways to configure the OBi remotely.

Just a side note. You may want to setup the units to use the G729 Codec in advance. It is the most efficient voice codec in terms of bandwidth that the OBi supports. I have sent one OBi overseas myself. This setting fixed my voice quality problem.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Stewart

Quote from: James on July 11, 2012, 07:17:23 AMWhat steps do I need to take here in the States before I send the device to Dubai?
Before sending any hardware, confirm that the desired protocol(s) will work there, by testing with a softphone (or a smartphone app connected to their LAN by Wi-Fi).

For OBiTalk, they can use OBiAPP + X-Lite on a PC, or OBiON for iPhone or Android.

For Google Voice, they can use Gmail.

For a SIP provider, I recommend Callcentric; try the softphone they supply.

I suggest you setting up the accounts they will be using and testing the softphone or smartphone app at a US friend's, to confirm that the setup is correct.  Of course, those apps should be shut down at your friend's before trying to run them in UAE.

If, after getting all of the above working in US, none of them work in UAE, you might try a VPN connection, either one that you set up or one offered by a provider, e.g. CallWithUs or PBXes.

Please note that the above advice is purely from the technical standpoint of establishing communication.  Some or all of it may be illegal in UAE, so check before possibly getting someone in trouble.

If all else fails, you could likely save ~15% over Localphone, by using Voxbeam, LP's wholesale brand.  Rates to UAE are about 7% lower, and their 1-second billing should save you another 5 to 10%.  You get $1 credit at signup, so you can test without making a payment.
http://www.voxbeam.com/rates/asia/united_arab_emirates

Even less expensive, though IMO lower quality and more hassle, is Betamax, with rates as low as 0.096/0.11 (landline/mobile). http://backsla.sh/betamax .

James

Quote from: Stewart on July 11, 2012, 03:26:22 PM

Before sending any hardware, confirm that the desired protocol(s) will work there, by testing with a softphone (or a smartphone app connected to their LAN by Wi-Fi).

For OBiTalk, they can use OBiAPP + X-Lite on a PC, or OBiON for iPhone or Android.

For Google Voice, they can use Gmail.

For a SIP provider, I recommend Callcentric; try the softphone they supply.

I suggest you setting up the accounts they will be using and testing the softphone or smartphone app at a US friend's, to confirm that the setup is correct.  Of course, those apps should be shut down at your friend's before trying to run them in UAE.

If, after getting all of the above working in US, none of them work in UAE, you might try a VPN connection, either one that you set up or one offered by a provider, e.g. CallWithUs or PBXes.

@ Stewart - Thanks. Wow! And here I was thinking just sending the box over there - all they would have to do is to plug a CAT5 cable and a Telephone and the OBi100 would take care of the rest... Again, pardon me for my thickheadedness - but if ALL i need is OBi100 to OBi100 call using the 9 digit OBi number, do I have to go through all this? Wouldn't the call be treated as regular internet traffic? I do not want to use a "Telephone" number (either landline or mobile), just the OBi number and the OBi100s at either ends to call each other - is that possible without all this hassle with Sipphone/VPN etc. <sheepish_confession>I'm afraid its a bit too technical for me.</sheepish_confession>

QBZappy

James,

Out of the box it should do what you mentioned. Just a little matter of registering both OBis on the OBiTALK portal. Simplest thing would be to register using one account. All the internal configs will be automagically handled by the OBiTALK portal. Test before sending overseas. At this point it is still not clear if the OBi to OBi calls are not blocked in the UAE.

Stewart

According to this thread http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1494.0 , OBiTalk protocol was working in UAE.  However, that may have changed or will change, and there may also be differences from one ISP to another, so it seems worth an hour or two of you and your contact's time to confirm that it's ok, before taking the effort and expense of shipping the device.  Also, the test has some practical value -- they can use the softphone to call you, until they receive and install the OBi.

If the OBiTalk test fails, you can try the next approach, etc.

If for legal reasons you want to avoid using a phone number, that's possible with all three methods.  For OBiTalk, there is a nine-digit number as you have already noted.  For GV, you can send a call to e.g. JamesDoe@gmail.com, instead of a phone number.  And for Callcentric, on the free plan, you get a 1777xxxxxxx number which looks like a phone number, but really isn't (it can't be called from a landline or mobile).

QBZappy

You can simulate an OBi call by having your friend install the Obion APP+Xlite. You can bind the OBion APP to whatever Obi you want on the OBiTALK portal.

You can also PM some of the members in above mentioned thread. A PM should reach them by email if they don't follow the forum on a regular basis.

mofiz

Today I was able to use my OBI110 in Dhaka Bangladesh with Google Voice,crystal clear sound,very excited,I set  up the 110 in USA  before I send it to Bangladesh,I did not get IP address first couple of times(power light blinking),then all of a sudden it started working.

AndreaRowland

So what are the alternatives for it?

Teds

I have an OBI located overseas after setting it up with GV here. Calls to US works fine. But whenever I try to call GV, it goes into voicemail instead of ringing the OBI phone. Could it be the ports are blocked by the router over there?

I did not have to forward ports when I set it up.  Any ideas?

QBZappy

Teds,

Chances are that you are using the phone you used to authenticate with GV. You will need to go to the GV acct and change the following:

Edit->Show advanced settings->
Voicemail Access: Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone? = SELECT 'NO'

Teds

Now calls from outside of US using the OBI are being disconnected after a few seconds later. Looks like Google is disconnecting the calls.

degeldeg

GV calls work fine from here in Israel. So, you are probably not facing a general Google problem.

team

At the obihai web the said at "How to Get the OBi Outside of the USA" to buy it from amazon.co.uk
( http://obihai.com/how-to-get.php )

What is the difference between the obi110 sold at amazon.com and at amazon.co.uk ?

Which one is better to be used is Israel ?

Thanks

ianobi

team,

Just a slightly different power supply. It's the same power supply unit wherever you buy it, except the prongs for the mains supply socket vary dependant on country:

Power Supply Type Universal Switching with Fixed US, EU, UK or AU Style Plug Prongs (Model Dependent)
Input Power
AC Input: 100 to 240 Volts 0.3A 50-60Hz (26-34 VA) Output Power DC: +12V 1.0 Amp Max

Wherever you buy an OBi, the digit maps etc will be set for North American number formats. To speed up dialling and to set up the correct emergency numbers etc, you will need to do some configuring for Israel number formats. There's some examples on this forum and plenty of help here if you need it.

OBi110 seems to be on sale in UK just now for £33.99.

TCW25

Quote from: ShermanObi on March 09, 2011, 05:19:43 PM
Going forward, the purpose of this topic is to memorialize success associated with using OBi devices with Google Voice outside the USA.

Where were you?
How were you connected to the Internet?
What kind of calls worked?
What kind of calls did not work?
Any other observations?

In Israel, connected to a 40Mbps/3Mbps VDSL connection (using 018 as the service provider) calls and faxes worked perfectly via my Obi202.  I'm using Google Voice as a backup service, and two voip.ms lines for phone/fax. 

Only issue is that every now and then the box shows it's not registered with voip.ms and requires a reboot.  Then it works for a while longer.