News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SOLVED: callerid from obi110 to my USR modem

Started by sundansx, March 07, 2011, 06:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundansx

I have a phone line splitter hooked up to my phone port on my obi110 with one port hooked up to my phone and the other to a USRobotics 5685 V92 modem.  I use it to extract callerid to my PC.  This worked great on my Vonage Motorola adapter.  Using the same setup and config hooked to the obi110, the caller id is not coming through entirely.  here is what I get hooked to the OBI:
at#CID=1
OK
RING
DATE = 0307
TIME = 1825
Notice there is no Name/Number field.  Oddly the number is displayed on my phone, but it has an unknown character at the beginning.

As another line of though, any one know how to extract callerid from an obi110 via the web or ethernet interface?

QBZappy

Hi,

Look here: General Support > Feature Requests > Support for notification popups on computers

You will find an open source project which captures CID from info contained in SIP. Uses packet sniffing approach. There are a couple of links if you are interested. Clever use of packet analysis. To date it seems the only method anyone has suggested that might work which is ready made.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

sundansx

I noticed there was a firmware upgrade that I missed.  installed it and all features including this one are working good.

QBZappy

sundansx,

Hi,

What are you using to extract the CID, and how to you use the call info. Are you passing it over the network as a screen pop?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

sundansx

qzippy,
sorry for the late reply, but I am using a usr modem with callerid hooked to my active phone port on the obihai.  Yak is running on a pc attache dto the modem.  Yak can send caller id notifications to other computers running yak in client mode.  Yak provides a pop-up on both machines.

QBZappy

sundansx,

Cool. Thanks for the reply. You should mention it in this thread:
Alternate uses for the Line Port for people who don't need it for POTS line

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=85.0

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: QBZappy on March 07, 2011, 07:08:53 PM
Hi,

Look here: General Support > Feature Requests > Support for notification popups on computers

You will find an open source project which captures CID from info contained in SIP. Uses packet sniffing approach. There are a couple of links if you are interested. Clever use of packet analysis. To date it seems the only method anyone has suggested that might work which is ready made.

Not to be a nitpicker, but some of us don't care for the packet sniffing approach.  At the end of the thread you mentioned, both AndroidsOfTara and I separately posted Perl scripts that would extract the Caller ID and allow one to create a popup notification.

I'm not sure why the OP would need to or want to run a separate modem to perform this function, unless perhaps it's just a case of being extremely familiar with that method and not really wanting to dip your toe into the uncharted waters of a different method.  Been there, done that.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

QBZappy

MichiganTelephone,

???

What is this all about? Why are quoting a post from another thread into this one? No one in this thread is mentioning anything about packet sniffing. That was another discussion unrelated to this thread. As far as I'm concerned I wont be talking about that anymore for fear of anyone accusing me of hijacking that thread. Congrats on the Perl script,  FWIW it still is too tecky for  some. I think that YAK+CID modem is another clever way of getting the same results if all you want is CID over the lan. Keep an open mind about other ways of achieving results. It may or may not be the most elegant/efficient way of accomplishing network CID, but there is no way of denying that it is a proven solution that works with little effort.

I think you are misunderstanding this thread. There is no packet sniffing involved with this solution.

No need to bring this up anymore. I agree with you that you are coming off as a nitpicker.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: QBZappy on May 10, 2011, 10:59:36 AM
MichiganTelephone,

???

What is this all about? Why are quoting a post from another thread into this one? .....

Excuse me? Who is quoting a post from another thread?  Read the second message in this thread - that is the one I quoted.  Is that or is that not your message?

I'll admit that I sometimes screw up in online forums and accidentally misquote someone, but this was not one of those times.

Could it be that you originally intended to post your message in a different thread?  Because it does seem a bit out of place here.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

QBZappy

MichiganTelephone,

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on May 10, 2011, 10:08:05 AM
I'm not sure why the OP would need to or want to run a separate modem to perform this function, unless perhaps it's just a case of being extremely familiar with that method and not really wanting to dip your toe into the uncharted waters of a different method.  Been there, done that.

Hi, I was addressing this part of your reply. His solution does not require packet sniffing. I got the impression that you were thinking "packet sniffing" when you saw the words modem+CID in the same sentence. We should stop this now as this is serioulsy off topic.

Peace.

MichiganTelephone

Hoo boy.  ::) My second paragraph was only a comment on the fact that in both his original post, and in the fifth post from the top of the page, he mentions that he is "using a usr modem with callerid hooked to my active phone port on the obihai" (quoting from the fifth message from the top of this thread) and I was just trying to make the observation that there are other ways to accomplish the same thing without using a separate piece of hardware (but if that's the way he prefers to do it, that's fine). So I believe that my response was on topic, but that you jumped on me perhaps without fully understanding what I was replying to.  I'm not holding it against you (I occasionally screw up in online posts too) and as this thread is now drifting into pointlessness, I agree it's probably time to bring it to a merciful end.

sundansx

Caller ID problem is back again with the latest firmware update.  I put a support request in again.
Anyone else experience this?  
Does syslog contain caller-id info yet?

Edit:  call is shown in the web interface with full data (minus name lookup, of course).  shows on my uniden phone, just not on the usr modem, same as last time.  Just ran kiwi syslog and answered my own question - no callerid.  they really need to add this..seems like it would be simple.

freetalk

Hi sundansx,

There has been a change on GV caller id in the latest firmeware: Since there was no caller id name field from GV, the caller id name field was left empty in the latest release (instead of being duplicated from number field as in earlier firmwares). 

It seems your modem (or PC app) might have problem with caller ids that didn't have name field.

sundansx

that could be the problem.
Obihai:  Please add a option to add this back in the next firmware.

jimates

I've glanced at this thread several times in the past. I still can't figure out what I must be missing.

I thought the problem before was that the Obi delivered the caller id number with the + in front. That is no longer happening.

Edit:  call is shown in the web interface with full data (minus name lookup, of course).  shows on my uniden phone, just not on the usr modem, same as last time.

If the Obi delivers the caller id number to the phone port (verified as showing on phone), anything more would be a problem at the modem. Not controllable by the Obi.

QBZappy

jimates,

Although not directly an OBi related problem, as freetalk mentions above, the OBi can duplicate from number field as in earlier firmwares if name field is not present in GV. This little tweak should work. This would make the OBi more compatible with the USR modem. 

sundansx

Well got fed up with whole modem thing with obi, so I decided to write a C++ tray app that scrapes Obihai device webpage for status, does reverse lookup at Whitepages page (needs dev account), and then posts a Yak callerid message to specified clients.  Will put this up on google code or sourceforge in the near future if anyone is interested.

NOW:  If Obihai is listening, please add callerid to syslog output.  That way I can change "scrapes Obi webpage" to "listens to syslog and filters callerid messages".  I dont like polled IO, me want interrupt driven IO.
thanks.

QBZappy

sundansx

I will certainly be using it. Thanks for sharing.

QBZappy

sundansx,

Hi, any update on your offer of the C++ tray app?