News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice + VOIP Phone

Started by Ectoplasmic, March 08, 2012, 11:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ectoplasmic

I have Google Voice working fine (SP1) with an analog phone attached to the OBi100. I also have a Cisco IP phone SPA921 and would like to use that with the Obi100 and only GV if possible. I know how to set up the Cisco for SIP service, and I know how to force it to make/receive calls without registration, but I'm confused by this:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.0

I'm not clear if this will allow me to use Google Voice with the IP phone. Can someone give basic instructions? I'm used to entering the SIP server, username, pword, and then it works on the SIP phone.

Ectoplasmic

In my attempts to at least get the VOIP phone to ring, I put this in X_InboundCallRoute for SP1:
{ph,sp1(user@192.168.137.252:5060)}

And I disabled X_RegisterEnable. Analog phone continues to work, VOIP phone will not ring.

Stewart

Quote from: Ectoplasmic on March 08, 2012, 04:13:35 PM
In my attempts to at least get the VOIP phone to ring, I put this in X_InboundCallRoute for SP1:
{ph,sp1(user@192.168.137.252:5060)}

And I disabled X_RegisterEnable. Analog phone continues to work, VOIP phone will not ring.
That won't work; the SPx you use in the Inbound Call Route must be set for SIP.  Given that your SP1 is GV, you need
{ph,sp2(user@192.168.137.252:5060)}
If SP2 is already set up for a SIP provider, you should be all set.  Otherwise, reread RonR's first post in the thread you followed.

Ectoplasmic

I've tried many variations of what was listed in that thread. Problem is, I'm not looking to do anything more than prove the VOIP can even ring at all, and I don't believe it can.

I did this:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (any userid)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B

And all variations of
{sp2(user@192.168.137.252:5060),ph}

Frankly I don't think a VOIP phone can work with OBi100+GV. I can't make the Cisco ring, not even a chirp. I have no problem setting up the Cisco to use sipgate or pbxes, and then ring from the Google Voice number.

Stewart

I have used the OBi with Polycom phones in the manner described and had no trouble.  You need to see what's going wrong.  For starters, what does Call History show (there may be a SIP error code, etc.)?  If no luck, try SIP Debug, sending the output to your PC (use Wireshark or a syslog server to view).  Or, use SIP Debug on the Cisco.

An alternate approach is to register SP2 to your PBXes account as a sub-PBX.  With the Cisco registered as an extension, you can set it up for single-stage dialing on outgoing, and get caller ID to pass on incoming.  My OBi is presently set up that way (I use IP phones exclusively and have nothing connected to the Phone port).

RonR

Quote from: Ectoplasmic on March 08, 2012, 07:27:10 PM
Frankly I don't think a VOIP phone can work with OBi100+GV. I can't make the Cisco ring, not even a chirp.

The configuration described in the Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk Using SIP article comes straight from one of my OBi's that I use with a PAP2 to make and receive calls through the OBi almost exclusively instead of using the OBi PHONE Port.

Trust me, it works very reliably.

Ectoplasmic

Thanks for the suggestions. You both have encouraged me to keep trying. I'll do some more experiments, and try to do some SIP debugging. I imagine that would shed some light on the situation.

Ectoplasmic

Well I actually have the Cisco IP phone working for incoming and outgoing calls :) I'll post my notes later.

The only problem at this point is incoming caller id. I have Google Voice on SP1, and 127.0.0.1 SIP on SP2. I've enabled X_SpoofCallerID on both ITSP profiles, but it doesn't help. Caller id number works on my analog phone, but doesn't work on the Cisco IP phone, it shows anonymous. I realize I will probably never see the name, but I want to at least see the number.

My guess is I need to update X_InboundCallRoute on SP1 to include a $1? Or some way to spoof the caller? Right now it looks like this: {ph,SP2(cisco@192.168.137.252:5062)}

I'm looking for a minimal way to get it working.

RonR

X_SpoofCallerID enables spoofing on outbound calls on that trunk.  Since CallerID can't be spoofed on Google Voice calls, there's no reason to enable it on SP1.

X_SpoofCallerID must be enabled on SP2 in order for calls being sent to SIP clients via SP2 to receive CallerID.

{ph,SP2(cisco@192.168.137.252:5062)} should get the job done (it does here).

Ectoplasmic

Everything works, including caller id on my IP phone. I want to thank RonR and Stewart. For those interested, here are my minimalist settings, for those of us who are not phone/pbx experts. These are the only changes necessary from default. I prefer to enter these by going directly to the device with the browser, and disabling the Obitalk provisioning under System Management->Auto Provisioning. The phone's SIP port should be set to 5062. The phone's proxy should be 192.168.x.x:5061. The phone should be set to make and receive calls without registration. I'm guessing this should also work for a PAP2.

> Service Providers
  ITSP Profile A
     General
        Signaling Protocol = Google Voice
        X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF = Checked
  ITSP Profile B
     SIP
        ProxyServer = 127.0.0.1
        X_SpoofCallerID = Checked

> Voice Services
  SP1 Service
     X_ServProvPfile = A
     X_RingProfile = A
     X_CodecProfile = A
     X_InboundCallRoute = {ph,SP2(phoneusername@192.168.0.100:5062)}

SIP Credentials
        AuthUserName = googleusername
        AuthPassword = googlepassword

SP2 Service
     X_ServProvProfile = B
     X_InboundCallRoute = sp1
      X_RegisterEnable = unchecked

SIP Credentials
        AuthUserName = user (doesn't matter, but can't be blank)

RonR

SP2 Service
  X_InboundCallRoute = sp1

This is strange.  This change should not be required to the SP2 Service X_InboundCallRoute.

Stewart

Quote from: RonR on March 09, 2012, 07:40:14 PM
SP2 Service
   X_InboundCallRoute = sp1

This is strange.  This change should not be required to the SP2 Service X_InboundCallRoute.

That's how the OBi knows to send outgoing calls from the IP phone to GV.  While many users may need something fancier, e.g. to send some calls via the Line port, if you just left X_InboundCallRoute at the default, calls from the IP phone would ring the OBi's Phone port.

RonR

I missed that he was illustrating his IP phone lashup that's hard-wired into SP1.  I thought he was simply showing how to configure Google Voice manually.  Never mind.