News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110-SP1(GV) Primary Line, Dialing 911 FXO without **8 first? (**8 911)

Started by winger13, March 08, 2012, 06:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winger13

Hi everyone, new OBI110 user here. I have setup GV on SP1, being the primary line (so I do not have to dial **1 before all calls I make).  However, the way I understand it, this means for 911 calls through the regular PTSN/telco connection, I have to dial "**8 911". 

Is there a way for 911 calls only, that I do NOT need to dial the **8 first?

Stewart

911 via the Line port is the default setting.  You should perform a test to be sure -- see RonR's last post in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2432.0 .

If your PSTN line is used for 911 only, you should IMO set up the OBi so that some calls, e.g. calls to toll-free numbers, also use the PSTN line, so that you'll know it's still working, should you ever need it in an emergency.

winger13

Quote from: Stewart on March 08, 2012, 07:30:23 PM
911 via the Line port is the default setting.  You should perform a test to be sure -- see RonR's last post in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2432.0 .
I did not understand that large string of symbols but I did place a 911 call withOUT dialing **8 first, and it works!  The 911 operator knew my location straight away...nice.

QuoteIf your PSTN line is used for 911 only, you should IMO set up the OBi so that some calls, e.g. calls to toll-free numbers, also use the PSTN line, so that you'll know it's still working, should you ever need it in an emergency.
How can I set up so that all toll-free numbers also go through the PSTN by default without having to dial **8 first each time?

I have been able to navigate to the Obi using the IP address. I then see the PHYSICAL INTERFACES option and under PHONE Port..."OutboundCallRoute", I see the following default value:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Do I somehow add 800, 877, 888, 866 to this string?

RonR

To redirect toll free numbers from SP1 to the LINE Port:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.|
<**8>(18(00|88|77|66|55)xxxxxxx|<1>8(00|88|77|66|55)xxxxxxx))

where aaa is your local area code for 7-digit dialing.

winger13

Hi Ron.
Are you saying replace

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

To:

where aaa is my local area code for 7-digit dialing .

Your string seems to have removed the items in purple from the current.  Should your string be updated given what my current string looks like?

RonR

Totally replace your existing DigitMap value with the one I posted.

The missing items (rules) are not needed for Google Voice.

winger13

Quote from: RonR on March 08, 2012, 10:08:33 PM
Totally replace your existing DigitMap value with the one I posted.

The missing items (rules) are not needed for Google Voice.

Hmmm.  I just pasted in your string (with the aaa replaced with my AC), submitted, rebooted and visually verify the value changed has occurred. I even test right away (dialing an 800 #) to verify the PTSN line is used.

However, whether I tested (800 #) right after the reboot or just did nothing, within about 30 seconds of my reboot and changes saved, the Obi reboots itself and the saved string (you provided above) reverts back to the original string.  All through this, the Default box for the line changed is NOT checked.

Please advise.

RonR

If you're configuring the OBi directly, you must set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

or the OBiTALK Web Portal will overwrite your changes with its settings.

winger13

Quote from: RonR on March 09, 2012, 05:01:04 PM
If you're configuring the OBi directly, you must set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

or the OBiTALK Web Portal will overwrite your changes with its settings.

Thanks, that did it !

MurrayB

Quote from: RonR on March 08, 2012, 09:33:55 PM

Suppose all local area codes are 10-digit dialing?

winger13

Quote from: MurrayB on March 09, 2012, 07:25:27 PM
Quote from: RonR on March 08, 2012, 09:33:55 PM

Suppose all local area codes are 10-digit dialing?
No, local calling (using Obi-initiated SP1 calls) are still 7-digits.  But, I set this up through www.obitalk.com (to not have to dial 1+AC before local numbers) before I made the updates Ron mentioned above.

MurrayB

Actually, I was hoping RonR would reply with how to handle the same situation with required ten-digit dialing.

RonR

Quote from: MurrayB on March 10, 2012, 04:51:30 AM
Actually, I was hoping RonR would reply with how to handle the same situation with required ten-digit dialing.

Google Voice wants US/Canada numbers delivered as 11-digits regardless of what your local telco convention might be.  The DigitMap I posted allows making calls through SP1 (Google Voice) with 7-, 10-, or 11-digits, extending them as necessary.

The DigitMap I  posted redirects 10- or 11-digit toll-free numbers to the LINE Port as 11-digit numbers.  Are you saying that your telco requires toll-free numbers to be dialed as 10-digits and not 11?  Please describe your telco's requirements in detail and what it is you're wanting to do.

MurrayB

Hi RonR thanks for your reply. I have SP2 with GV as default at one location due to the restrictive non-toll calling area of the dial tone line. The local area has a ten-digit dialing convention with four area codes. I am interested in toll free numbers 11 digit going through the line port as well as the default 911. For local calls where CID has to be unblocked I hit # to get the Verizon dial tone and dial. I am now wondering if this is even an issue other than to exercise the PSTN line.

RonR

MurrayB,

The previously posted DigitMap will work equally well on SP1 and/or SP2 for redirecting toll-free calls to the LINE Port as 11-digit numbers (for SP1, use x=A / for SP2, use x=B):

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile x -> General -> DigitMap:

If your telco uses 10-digit numbers for local calling, I recommend the following:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap : ([2-9]11S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

911 calls will automatically be routed to the LINE Port if you have not altered the PHONE Port DigitMap and PHONE Port OutboundCallRoute.

MurrayB

Thanks RonR

I will digest this data. There is 10 or 11-digit local and 11-digit LD dialing. Verizon should have just gone to all 11-digit dialing in this area just so people would not have to think about it. I have not altered the PHONE Port DigitMap and PHONE Port OutboundCallRoute.

RonR

Quote from: MurrayB on March 10, 2012, 11:55:36 AM
There is 10 or 11-digit local and 11-digit LD dialing. Verizon should have just gone to all 11-digit dialing in this area just so people would not have to think about it.

The LINE Port DigitMap I posted supports dialing 10- and 11-digit numbers with no alteration, as well as x11 and 011+.

MurrayB

Super. I have to study it until I really understand it. These complex strings become so clear once they are understood as opposed to just entering them. I constantly marvel at the capability of the device as I follow the forum. I also sometimes wonder why some silly limitation? Yes, I discovered early on the only way to be confident is to disable Auto Provisioning and work on each Obi.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend RonR!