News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Hmm...Now, what is the advantage of the Obi?

Started by Wildcat, March 20, 2012, 05:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

I have been using the GV and Talkatone apps on my Ipod Touch and have enjoyed it, so I bought the Obi thinking it would give some extra benefit.  But I can make wifi calls already with these apps when I am away and at home I can use GV to make and receive calls through my land line.  My GV rings my home phone when I get a call and when I make a call it rings and I pick it up and complete the call.  So can someone tell me what advantage there is with the Obi? Actually, I use GV mostly for texting, which I believe cannot be done on the Obi at this time.  I'm sure I'm just overlooking something?  Right?

pc44

If you browse the forums here and read what other people have posted, you'll find many different as well as unique ways in which the Obi can be highly advantageous.

For example, why you are keeping and paying monthly for a land-line if you own an Obi?  Just curious.

RevKev

If nothing else, in your scenario, simpler dialing. Pick up the phone and dial the number. No need to dial your GV number first and no computer needed.

jimates

Widcat,

The Obi allows you to access your google voice using a regular telephone plugged into it. You can get rid of your landline.

winger13

Quote from: jimates on March 20, 2012, 08:44:56 PM
Widcat,

The Obi allows you to access your google voice using a regular telephone plugged into it. You can get rid of your landline.
an option only if you get consistent good voice quality using the obitalk's internet connection to google chat.

jimates

Quote from: winger13 on March 20, 2012, 08:53:54 PM
Quote from: jimates on March 20, 2012, 08:44:56 PM
Widcat,

an option only if you get consistent good voice quality using the obitalk's internet connection to google chat.
Which I have gotten every day for 14 months.

pc44

Quote from: jimates on March 21, 2012, 05:36:24 AM

Same here... I have been enjoying very good call quality with GV and Obihai for some time now.

Wildcat

Thanks for the replies.  My main use of GV has been to make my Ipod touch into a wi-fi phone.  It appears that I will no longer be able to use Talkatone if I have Obi because you can't forward both to Google Chat.  So no SMS?  No MMS?  I guess unless I get a second GV number, I won't benefit from this.  I would like to lose the land line at some point in the future but we have had the same non-portable for about 25 years (special "metro" number) so the change would be troublesome.  I may just give this to my son since he doesn't have a land line.

RevKev

Curious, what was the selling point that made you buy it in the first place?

QuoteNo MMS?
Does GV even support MMS?

pc44

Quote from: RevKev on March 21, 2012, 04:09:43 PMDoes GV even support MMS?

Nope. MMS is only supported in conjunction with Sprint users.

Quote from: RevKev on March 21, 2012, 04:09:43 PM
Curious, what was the selling point that made you buy it in the first place?

I too am curious ???

Wildcat

Talkatone has MMS.  It may not be true MMS because what it actually does is supply a link.  You click on the link and it takes you to the picture.  Works great!  I believe Talkatone is an Apple app only.

The Obi was mostly an impulse buy...I'm a geek and it was a lightning deal on Amazon.  I really enjoy Google Voice and Talkatone and wanted to try it to see if we could gradually phase out the land line.  Other than Google Voice and the Obi to Obi network, what other networks does it work with?

RevKev

You can still use the GV app on your iPod (and sms) but not talkatone.

Quotewhat other networks does it work with
Any VoIP provider that uses SIP... callcentric, sipgate, anveo, probably hundreds of others.

winger13

Quote from: pc44 on March 21, 2012, 07:12:26 AM
Quote from: jimates on March 21, 2012, 05:36:24 AM

Same here... I have been enjoying very good call quality with GV and Obihai for some time now.
Would anyone from obihai be able to assist in debugging the call quality issue I am experiencing  on the outbound during all after hour calls?