News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Receiving fax on freephoneline

Started by Shammi, March 26, 2012, 10:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shammi

Hello

Here is a newbie, wanting to use obihai 110 with its full potential. Can someone shed light on routing fax with Obihai 110. I can send and receive faxes with my freephoneline account uninterrupted.

However, it would be awesome if obi110 could detect the fax tone and transfer the fax/call to another number or to the voicemail. This way, I can find faxes in my email and don't have to receive them manually.

Thanks in advance

shammi

jimates

The Obi can only route calls based on caller id, or manually, user designated call routes.

Stewart

As noted by jimates, the OBi cannot detect fax tone.

If most of your faxes come from dedicated numbers, you could set up the OBi to reject calls from those numbers; FPL voicemail would answer them and receive the faxes.

Although you would still be disturbed by the calls, you can set your fax machine to automatically answer when it hears fax tone, then simply hang up the phone when you hear the machine pick up.  If you did not answer, FPL voicemail would receive the fax.

If a separate incoming number for fax-to-email meets your needs, possibilities include a free number from k7.net (it would be a US number in Washington state) or an Anveo Value number in your province ($1.45/mo. including 40 min./day free incoming).

You could route incoming calls from FPL through another service such as VoxOx, which would intercept faxes and pass other calls to your OBi, but that would add latency and degrade voice quality and reliability.

Shammi

Thanks Stewart and Jimates for the time to reflect on.