News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using multiple phones on the OBI100

Started by Ned612, November 16, 2012, 01:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned612

I recently purchased an OBI 100. Am I able to split the line for two phones, as long as both aren't in use at the same time? One line will be a phone while the other will be my alarm system line, which will (hopefully) never be used.

Rick

Quote from: Ned612 on November 16, 2012, 01:20:14 PM
I currently purchased an OBI 100. Am I able to use a splitter to run one line to the alarm and then another to a real phone and it will all work phone, as long as both aren't in use at the same time? One line will be a phone while the other will be my alarm system line, which will (hopefully) never be used.

a) You should NOT be using a VoIP line for your alarm system, especially something like Google Voice, unless you've talked to your alarm company and they are ok with it.  While it may make the call just fine, transmission of data to the alarm company may, or may not, work successfully.  Talked about many times in the forums if you do a search.

b) The alarm system is supposed to "seize" the phone line to make a call when necessary.  Therefore, it should be the first device hooked up, and then it should feed the rest of the phones, and that should be part of the wiring of the alarm system.  "Splitting" a line is not the proper way to hook up the alarm. 

jimates

NO. There is only one phone port to be used with both providers.

Ned612