News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110 latest firmware - cannot receive inbound GVoice calls

Started by DAVEHH, April 04, 2012, 12:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVEHH

It appears I cannot receive calls through OBI110 with the latest firmware.
I have to decide if I need to return this device back or not.

Here is what I did:
1. I am on ATT fiberlink with their NVG510 crappy router (this should call for a class action against ATT because as user I am not in complete control of the device I bought) but this is another story.
2. I opened all ports for OBI110 1-65535 both UDP/TCP, except the CPE control port (ATT's)
3. I have upgraded OBI to the latest firmware.

Outgoing calls are OKay, no incoming calls however. When called, the number rings and then after 4 rings it forwards to the mailbox. No logs of the call are recorded for OBI.

Please help me to get this working.

Thanks,

Stewart

Can you receive calls on a SIP account?  If you don't have one, get a free Callcentric account and test incoming by calling in via SIPBroker.  If that works ok, you could get GV calls in via a free (e.g. IPKall) or paid SIP DID.

To troubleshoot the original problem, see whether (with the OBi shut down) you can receive calls in Gmail, or whether the OBi can receive calls at a friend's or neighbor's with a different Internet service.

DAVEHH

The solution is at a remote location.
GV works just fine with another OBI and on another network.

I need to figure out if:

1. ATT fiberlink with NVG510 supports OBI110 and GV

or

2. I should return the device for a full refund with the current setup. Putting additional time in to test another service SIP is out of the question.

Please let me know what can I do to get GV (not other SIP) working.

Stewart

If you don't want to take any time to work on it, you should probably send the unit back -- it's not going to fix itself.

Possibly, this is a NAT timeout issue.  Test by making a call from the OBi, hanging up, then calling the GV number immediately (within 30 seconds).

Quote from: DAVEHH on April 04, 2012, 01:15:06 PMGV works just fine with another OBI and on another network.
Can you test the problematic OBi on another network?  If not, please confirm that the test OBi was using the same GV account, identical configuration (e.g. backed up from one and restored to the other) and same firmware version.  Otherwise, it was not a valid test.

From a PC behind the NGV510, with the OBi shut down, can you receive calls in Gmail?  If not, can you make them.

DAVEHH

I use a different GV account on the unit that does not appear to work.
The time put into this unit exceeds 48 hours (cummulative).

The settings are the same as in the working unit except GV credentials.

I'll try to test calling a number then calling GV. I'll post the results here.

QBZappy

DAVEHH,

This might be a situation where it might be simpler to add the GV account using the OBi portal. Make sure you have enabled the following settings in in the OBi unit:
System Management->Network Settings->ITSP Provisioning
System Management->Network Settings->OBiTalk Provisioning

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

DAVEHH

@ STEWART:
Possibly, this is a NAT timeout issue.  Test by making a call from the OBi, hanging up, then calling the GV number immediately (within 30 seconds).

I did as suggested, I can place outgoing calls however when I called my GV number, I heard a ring but OBI110 did not ring.

@QBZappy:

I used the dashboard to manage the GV account. No changes, it does not ring on incoming calls.

Any other suggestions?

QBZappy

DAVEHH,

If you disconnect the OBi can you make a call using a phone and receive the call on the computer with GTALK? Do not use the phone you used to register GV with. It will send you to voice mail.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

DAVEHH

Quote from: QBZappy on April 05, 2012, 09:23:00 AM
DAVEHH,

If you disconnect the OBi can you make a call using a phone and receive the call on the computer with GTALK? Do not use the phone you used to register GV with. It will send you to voice mail.

I see what you mean.
using GTALK within GV account interface does not complete an outgoing call.

QBZappy

DAVEHH,

OBi has a builtin GTALK client inside. That's how it works with GV. If you have GV, you can use the GTALK client to make calls to telephone numbers as well. Did you make your obligatory first call using GV?

Did you know that you can have conversations with other GTALK users using the phone attached to the OBI.

DAVEHH

I called from within GV interface this is Google voice website at voice.google.com.
I don't know where to find the GTALK in OBI.

Please attach a link to it here.

Yes, I did make the first activation call on google voice.

QBZappy

DAVEHH,

Sorry I must leave for an appointment. I can not continue at this time. Perhaps RonR can pickup from here.

Good Luck--

QBZappy

DAVEHH

Quote from: DAVEHH on April 05, 2012, 09:54:09 AM
I don't know where to find the GTALK in OBI.

Please attach a link to it here.

You don't see the Gtalk app. It is embedded within the OBi. To call a Gtalk account you can use one of the speed dial slots and type in the gmail account of the person. Then simply dial the "speed dial number" + "#"

EX: In the speed dial slot
name@gmail.com

I think we are going off topic.

DAVEHH

Thanks for your reply, still ina previous post you mention that I would need to disconnect the OBI then place the call with the GTalk. It is getting confusing.

QBZappy

DAVEHH,

This is to see if calls are able to come to your Gtalk client on the computer.

Step 1
Unplug the OBi.

Step2
Simply call the GTalk client running on your computer. Call using another computer with different Gtalk account or call your GV telephone number using a telephone. If you put a check mark in your GV setup to "Forward calls to:Google Chat", the Gtalk client should ring.

This must work in order for the OBi to work. OBi just mirrors the behaviour of the GTalk client since it is also a client.

Take it from here, and let us know if this part works for you.

DAVEHH

GTalk related terminology is getting confusing as there are many clients in various environments.

I do not have any GTalk client on my computer. The Gtalk clients I know of:
- one is a chat client (no phone calls)
- another one is within the google page itself, but this client does not allow to take incoming calls.

Where should I get the Gtalk client you mentioned in your post?

QBZappy

DAVEHH,

Google Chat/Talk, in this context means basically the same thing for our purposes. If you log into your Gmail account you should see "Chat". In there you should have a list of your contacts. You should also have a green telephone symbol with description "Call phone"
See here:
http://www.google.com/chat/voice/

QBZappy

DAVEHH,

If that green phone icon is not there, something is not right with the GV setup.

DAVEHH

That Gtalk icon within Mail.google.com is green. I do not have a microphone/webcam on that computer to place a call but the icon is green.

Also, when I call my GV number from a completely unrelated phone number, the interface within GV web page does not change and does not indicate I receive a call.

Steve001

I'm also having the exact same issue as DaveHH with my Obi100--After firmware update, I am unable to receive inbound calls, but outgoing calls can be made.  I also tried the GTalk client test suggested by QBZappy, but as with DaveHH, the chat interface within my Gmail page does not change when calling my GV number from an unrelated phone. 

Prior to the firmware update, I was able to receive and place calls normally.  Glad to see I'm not alone in this but if this is an issue that affects everyone who updates their firmware, I would think that there would be more reports of this problem by now.