News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Obi in Ecuador

Started by OpacityZero, April 04, 2012, 02:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpacityZero

I'd like to setup an Irvine, CA phone number with Google Voice and configure it on the Obi110.  Then I'd like to send the Obi110 to a coworker in Ecuador and have them make and receive calls in Ecuador from that number.  Is it possible to configure everything here in CA first and then send it there?  You may not know this since it's not related to your product but are there any charges through Google Voice for outgoing calls if you're located in Ecuador?

QBZappy

OpacityZero,

Google is filtering some international ip addresses. To date no one in South America has reported anything that would indicate an issue with that. So far AFAIK units are in service in the following Latin countries:
Bolivia, Peru, Mexico, Brasil

There may be other OBi units in service in some other locations in Central/South America. It would be interesting to hear where some of these units are located.

Before buying and sending a unit down, configure everything in the USA. Setup a GV account. Make a test call to his from his computer to your phone using that GV account. If it works, then the OBi should be able to work as well.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: OpacityZero on April 04, 2012, 02:23:00 PM
I'd like to setup an Irvine, CA phone number with Google Voice and configure it on the Obi110.  Then I'd like to send the Obi110 to a coworker in Ecuador and have them make and receive calls in Ecuador from that number.  Is it possible to configure everything here in CA first and then send it there?  You may not know this since it's not related to your product but are there any charges through Google Voice for outgoing calls if you're located in Ecuador?
I have no problems with GV in Argentina and Brasil. I setup units in Fullerton and sent them to family in Argentina and Brasil and they worked fine.

Jorge

I am from/in Ecuador and I'm using OBI110 with Google Voice here with no problem. I'm able to receive and make free calls to the U.S. so you will have no problem there.

Also, you should be able to set up everything first and then send the device here. After the device is attached to your OBI account, you'll be able to even change most settings after you send the device.