News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

DHCP and Static Networking Issues

Started by DocM, April 05, 2012, 02:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocM

I have a DHCP enabled server that manages my network. When I set my OBi110 to static under System Management > Network Settings and assign an IP address, my Google voice account no longer functions. If I simply change the static setting back to DHCP, the Google Voice account starts functioning again. Is this normal? Should disable DHCP on the server to make the static function of the OBi110 function?

Thanks for any help in advance. :)

pc44

Hi Doc,

When you change the OBI to Static IP, are you still inputting the IP Address of your Server in the Gateway blank?  Also, does your server have any firewall running that may treat dynamic clients differently than static clients?  The only other thing that comes to mind is the forwarding of the SIP ports 5060, etc, as described in other posts here.

Let us know what you find.  Perhaps someone else can provide some insight here.

pc44

RonR

SIP Ports aren't used with Google Voice.  There's typically no port forwarding involved for Google Voice.

When you set a static IP address, are you also configuring?:

System Management -> Network Settings -> SubnetMask
System Management -> Network Settings -> DefaultGateway
System Management -> Network Settings -> DNSServer1

These are parameters supplied by a DHCP server, but must be configured manually when using a static IP address.

DocM

Thank you for both of your replies but RonR is correct. I completely forgot my networking knowledge and never filled in the rest of the network settings. I'm too used to the ease of DHCP. Mann, I feel soo newbish for asking such a question.

pc44

Hi Doc,

Glad you got it resolved!  The DefaultGateway in the Obi is what I was referring to by "Gateway" in the OBI.

Quote from: RonR on April 05, 2012, 03:23:55 PM
SIP Ports aren't used with Google Voice.  There's typically no port forwarding involved for Google Voice

Hi Ron,

Well now you are confusing me :)

I thought we were supposed to forward ports for GV?  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1130.msg7057#msg7057

Thanks,
pc44

RonR

pc44,

Google Voice doesn't use SIP ports, so forwarding 5060 - 5061 won't help Google Voice.  I'm a believer in forwarding them for SIP providers, but it's not always necessary.

Google Voice uses RTP ports for audio, just like SIP providers, but since that thread was active, we've learned that the OBi doesn't appear to honor the specified SIP port ranges when it comes to Google Voice.  I don't recall anyone ever figuring out if there is a defined RTP port range for Google Voice.  Obihai is always quiet when these questions are asked.

pc44

Ah I see.  Thanks for explaining that to me... it does help.  Maybe one day someone will discover the RTP ports in question.  I know every once in a while (like just three hours ago), I lose incoming calls... they never even hit/reach the Obi.  If I could open/forward whatever RTP ports are needed by GV in my router, I wonder if it would help the problem.  Oh well... the search continues.

Thanks Ron.
pc44