News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Redundency

Started by richardcoop, April 06, 2012, 04:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardcoop

Today is the second major disruption to Google Voice phone service for me. I need reliable phone service.

Is itr possible to set up the Obi so that if a GV call doesn't go through  on SP1 then, instead of going to voice mail, it rings SP2? If you check the the second SP2 phone number on GV then google chat and the second SIP (SP1 and SP2) would ring simultaneously. If you pick up how is the call routed?

Conversely out going could you configure it if there is no service on SP1 could it be setup to go automatically to SP2?

jimates

Google controls the call going to voicemail after 4 rings. You can put another phone number as a forwarding phone in your google voice account, but it cannot be another google voice number.

QBZappy

jimates,

I'm not certain if incoming on GV is broken it will forward calls reliably. I think that this is why GV is FREE. The GV service is not dependable.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

richardcoop

So what is the best way to set-up an Obi for best reliability and low cost? Abandon GV entirely or can another SIP be used as a backup and what would be the best way to utilise it?

jimates

Quote from: QBZappy on April 06, 2012, 06:58:38 AM
jimates,

I'm not certain if incoming on GV is broken it will forward calls reliably. I think that this is why GV is FREE. The GV service is not dependable.
I agree.  If it was reliable they would provide support, and of course charge something. Because of that I have never complained about google voice. Also, I have not experienced more than half dozen problems in all the years I have used it exclusively.

It doesn't seem to be broken completely, only the forwarding to google chat. I had no problems yesterday when everyone else was having problems. 3 hours ago I had my first call that rang all my forwarding phones except the Obi. Now calls are coming in as normal.