News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PSTN caller ID doesn't display

Started by frank8, April 02, 2012, 11:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank8

Hi,

My PSTN line doesn't pass Caller ID to my phone . I have the latest firmware version 1.3.0 for my obi110, please help me.

thanks

frank8

additional information, I have set my primary line to PSTN line. I do not see those Caller IDs in the call history from the device either.

MichiganTelephone

Assuming that you actually subscribe to Caller ID service from your phone company (many legacy phone companies still charge extra for it), you didn't by any chance change any settings in the Obi device to have it send the call to the phone immediately, instead of waiting the requisite three or four seconds to capture the Caller ID data, did you?
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

frank8

Hi, I thank you for the reply,

yes, I have the caller id subscription from ATT, I didn't change default settings in obi110 configuration, somehow, it didn't capture the caller id information. If I connect my Panasonic phone to the line directly, caller id is displayed if there is an incoming call. if I connect the phone to the phone port and the line to the line port, the caller id is not displayed.

frank

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: frank8 on April 04, 2012, 03:06:06 PMyes, I have the caller id subscription from ATT, I didn't change default settings in obi110 configuration, somehow, it didn't capture the caller id information. If I connect my Panasonic phone to the line directly, caller id is displayed if there is an incoming call. if I connect the phone to the phone port and the line to the line port, the caller id is not displayed.

That is odd — it should work.  The way it normally works is when a call comes in on the LINE port, the first ring starts a countdown timer in the OBi110 which waits a certain amount of time (I think it is five seconds by default) while it waits for Caller ID data to arrive, after which it starts ringing your phone.  If you are using the OBiTALK portal to configure your device you could go into the OBi Expert Configuration mode and in the left hand column go to Physical Interfaces | LINE and then on the main part of the screen look for the RingDelay setting (it's about the 4th setting from the top).  I believe the default value is 5000 (5 seconds), though I have found that 3500 (3½ seconds) is sufficient.  If the value is set to 0 then you will never get Caller ID (but your phone will start ringing immediately). Maybe AT&T is doing something funky and you need to lengthen that value - try 6000 (6 seconds) and see if that works.  Note that you will need to uncheck both boxes next to the value and click "Submit" before you can change the value, and then after you change it you need to click "Submit" again.

If you still can't get it to work, or don't feel comfortable making changes in the OBi Expert Configuration mode, you could contact Obihai support (support@obihai.com) to see if they can help.  Be sure to give them the nine digit OBiTALK number off the bottom of your OBi110.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

frank8

it is still not working after I set to 6000 in the line interface. the default was 4000. i might need to contact the support, thanks anyway

bitkahuna

Frank, don't know if my experience will help, but I couldn't get caller ID on my incoming PSTN calls on my Panasonic cordless phones, but my setup was maybe a bit unusual.  The good news is I fixed it.

My cordless phones/base are two line capable and initially I connected the PSTN line to line 1 of my cordless base station and then took the phone out of the Obi110 and sent that to line 2 of my cordless base station.  My thought was I can answer/dial line one for my PSTN and answer/dial line 2 for google voice.

This actually all worked, except, incoming calls on PSTN no longer displayed caller ID.  If I simply disconnected the Obi110 phone out from my Panasonic cordless base, caller ID then worked again on PSTN.  Very strange, and couldn't figure out a solution in that config.

I then decided to try hooking it up the way they expect it to be, that is, PSTN into line in on Obi110, and phone out from Obi110 into line 1 on my cordless base station (line 2 was then unused).  In this config the Obi110 directs incoming Google Voice or PSTN calls to my line 1 on cordless phones.  By default I have SIP1 for outbound so right now I'm making outbound calls on Google Voice.  I could change that if I want.  If I want to do outbound on PSTN, I think I can do **3 or similar.

Hope that helps.

bitkahuna

One more update... just tried something I hadn't considered before... I put the Obi phone out into line 1, and the PSTN into line 2, and caller ID from inbound PSTN calls do appear.