News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How do I configure as an Asterisk extension

Started by sjpbx, March 09, 2011, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjpbx

I setup ITSP Profile A General:SignalingProtocol to SIP
Under SIP, I changed the ProxyServer to the domain name of my Asterisk server
Under Voice Services SP1 service, I added my extension number and password.

The extension does register, but it doesn't stay registered.  When it is registered, I can call the extension from another extension in the system.  However, I cannot make any outgoing calls from the extension.  Eventually, I get a message indicating the the Asterisk server isn't responding. 

I've set up SPA3102, PAP2, and handytone 286's up as extensions with no problems, but this doesn't seem to work. 

Thanks,
Steve

QBZappy

Hi,

I set it up using the settings found here. Note that this may not be the ideal settings, but it worked for me.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=68.msg125#msg125

Note: May not be necessary to include Register String
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

sjpbx

I don't understand why you have to set up a trunk.  I don't have a POTS line, so nothing is connected to the line port.  With other FXS's I used, the device uses SIP to connect to an extension on the PBX.  Do I have to setup a trunk in Asterisk to use the OBI110 as an extension?

Thanks,
Steve

MichiganTelephone

In a word, no.  If you use the OBiTalk portal or the configuration wizard to set it up, you shouldn't have an issue, providing you are giving it the proper credentials.  You did not mention FreePBX, so I won't say anything specific about that, but using the OBiTALK portal you would simply set it up as a "Generic Service Provider", put the address of the server in the "Service Provider Proxy Server" field, use 5060 as both the Service Provider Proxy Server Port and the Outbound Proxy Server Port, and fill out the User Name (that will probably be the extension number unless you're doing it differently) and Password with the proper credentials (leave Outbound Proxy Server and URI blank).  Watch the Asterisk CLI to see if it registers after you submit the changes and see the device reboot.  You can also do "sip show peers" from the CLI to see if it's registered.

If you still have problems, it may be a firewall issue.  Try setting qualify=yes for your extension in Asterisk - sometimes that will keep the firewall open.

Also you didn't mention whether your device is on the same local network as the server or remote, but make sure you set nat=yes on the server if it is remote.  Do not under any circumstances use nat=never with an Obihai device; it won't work.  Use either yes or no (and yes works in most circumstances).

Hope that helps.

Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

QBZappy

Hi,

I peered the Obi with Asterisk so that the SIP accounts configured on the Obi would be available to the other extensions on the Asterisk box. The Obi used in that thread also did not have Pots. It was not the intended use of the Obi unit.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: QBZappy on March 09, 2011, 05:42:50 PM
Hi,

I peered the Obi with Asterisk so that the SIP accounts configured on the Obi would be available to the other extensions on the Asterisk box. The Obi used in that thread also did not have Pots. It was not the intended use of the Obi unit.

That's certainly possible to do.  In fact, you can use an OBi110 for all these things simultaneously if you are willing to spend a little time configuring it:

• Gateway between Asterisk and the PSTN line
  • Gateway between Asterisk and Google Voice (or another service on the second Service Provider slot)
  • Gateway between Asterisk and the OBiTALK network (which also possibly opens up a whole bunch of possible scenarios for remote access of PSTN lines in other cities, etc.)
  • Use of the PHONE port as an Asterisk extension.  If you're doing any of the above and you have the Asterisk trunk on one of the Service Provider slots, then you can put the extension on the other Service Provider slot (though you might have to bump the port to 5061 on one of the two configurations in that case) OR you can "piggyback" the extension on the trunk connection (which leaves the other Service Provider slot free for some other use).

I just kind of got the idea that sjpbx is looking for an uncomplicated solution to an immediate problem.  He can always add the good stuff later when he realizes what he's missing.  ;D
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

sjpbx

Yes, I do use freepbx.  Qualify and NAT are both set to yes and OBI110 is on the same local network as the Asterisk server.  I also used the configuration wizard with the Generic Service Provider with the settings you suggested.  As I mentioned earlier, it did register and I was able to receive a call on the extension.  I just wasn't able to make any outgoing calls.  The OBI call history shows the calls going out, but the Asterisk call history has no record of them.  The calls seem to be getting lost in between.  The asterisk server is not running any firewall on it.  I am also able to use a softphone to connect to the same extension and make outgoing calls.  The first thing I did was configure a google voice number of SP2 and that has no problem making outgoing calls.  I also switched the google voice and SIP from SP1 to SP2 and the google voice works on either, and I can't make outgoing asterisk calls on either.

I appreciate your help.  Any other ideas?  I'm glad to hear that at least it should work.

Thanks.

MichiganTelephone

In whichever service provider you have your Asterisk extension, did you check "Make This the Primary Line to Call Out"?  If not, then you'll need to dial a prefix to force your calls to go out that route.  For example, if your Asterisk extension is on SP1, the dial **1 and then the number you want to call (if on SP2 the use **2 instead).   Again, watch your CLI and see if it's getting anything at all.

That's about the only reason I can think of that you'd be able to receive incoming calls but not place outgoing ones, barring some error in your FreePBX Outbound Routes (but if only calls from the OBi are affected, then I would not think that the routes should be the issue).  The device must be registering with Asterisk, or you wouldn't get incoming calls at all. Does "sip show peers" indicate that the extension is registered? With qualify on, it should show you a ping time in the final column, and that means it's registering correctly.

sjpbx

I figured it out.  The asterisk server must have restarted and started iptables again.  From your comments, that's the only thing that made sense.  So I double checked and sure enough, iptables was running again.  I stopped it and everything is fine now.  Now that I have that working, I think I'll try to get the "good" stuff working.  Thanks for your help.