News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problems with Obi110 and Google Voice over past several weeks

Started by jluros, April 10, 2012, 02:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jluros

Beginning about 10 days ago, we started having call quality and connection problems with outgoing calls using Google Voice. Intermittently, we'd have sound problems on connected calls. Then, we started receiving 503 errors when placing calls, so I checked for a firmware updated, and found that there was one available. I am now running 1.3.0 (Build: 2690).

Since then (and possibly merely coincidentally), 50% of the time, outbound calls ring but then there is silence. I've been able to reproduce the problem by calling my cell phone from my POTS phone connected through the OBI110. The problem does not occur when using a landline connected to the same line as the OBI110, but through a different jack.

Since this is a work line, this is impacting customer goodwill and I have gone from a very happy Obi110 customer to a very unhappy one.

QBZappy

jluros,

GV is not yet ready for Prime Time. For real business use you probably need a voip provider which provides service. Many goods ones to choose from. GV at this point needs to be appreciated for what it is and for the price they charge.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

Quote from: jluros on April 10, 2012, 02:10:34 PM
..............I have gone from a very happy Obi110 customer to a very unhappy one.
You can remain a happy Obi110 customer, but perhaps an unhappy Google customer. Wait, in order for Google to have customers they would have to actually provide a service, which they do not.

QBZappy

At the moment everyone is mooching off Google. It is hard to make a justifiable complaint under these circumstances. We are all beta testers for Google Voice.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jluros

In my experience, Google Voice has been very good. Not perfect by any means, but very good. Call quality sometimes has been rough, but usually it's solid. Also, my Obi110 with Google Voice worked great from February 6th until about a week and a half ago.

If there is a new problem with Google Voice, I suppose I could report it on the Google Voice forums.

Bashing Google's free service doesn't really help me here. If anyone has any concrete suggestions as to how to resolve the inconsistent problems between the Obi110 and Google Voice, please let me know.

Codacon

I have been having the same issue, if gv is the issue, it would be nice to know for sure. Does anyone have links that show gv to be the issue? Or things to do to help minimize the "outages"? Thanks for any positive input.

jimates

I am not bashing google voice, I have used it since it was Grand Central (3+ Yrs) and have not had one complaint. I have also used the Obi110 since it's compatibility with google chat was announced (15+ months), again without a single problem/complaint.

jluros

Ok, so if Google Voice is not a reliable VOIP provider, is there somewhere where I can evaluate the different VOIP providers who are compatible/supported with the Obi110? I'd still like to leave GV in place, because I really like the call announcement feature and the voicemail transcription feature. I basically just need dialtone service with good call quality.

leebo

I am having possibly the same issue, but I can't be sure it's GV's fault.

It started about 3 to 4 weeks ago. I will place a call, and the line will ring twice... then nothing.
Call again, same thing.

I have not updated my firmware since I bought my Obi100 about 6 months ago (I am assuming I would have to update it manually?).

I use Sprint for my cell service, and they integrated GV early last year. When I call the same number on my cell the call goes through fine.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: leebo on April 13, 2012, 07:32:29 PMI have not updated my firmware since I bought my Obi100 about 6 months ago (I am assuming I would have to update it manually?).

Try dialing * * * 6 from the phone connected to your Obihai device.  It should tell you there is a firmware update available and give you the option to install it.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

leebo

Thank you. I will try that... eventually.
But I see the OP stated he did that and started having the same or similar issue AFTER updating to the latest firmware.

Another poster in another thread has suggested checking a couple of things (call log, placing the call from my gmail account) the next time this happens, so I will try that first.

RonR

leebo,

You must have version 1.2.0 (or above) already installed in order to update via the touch-tone phone attached to the OBi using ***6 .

You can determine the currently installed version by dialing ***01#.

If you need to manually update, see these Instructions.

leebo

Went ahead and updated my firmware, since the other poster implied it doesn't seem to affect this issue. Will see what happens.  :-\