News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any way to get Message Waiting Notification from the PSTN line?

Started by dani, April 13, 2012, 09:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infin8loop

Quote from: dani on April 15, 2012, 09:01:12 PM
infin8loop

I got the bit about the charge. It's part of the virtual sip.

But... is this (working) setup you describe any different from what we've been testing until now?

I have:
sp2(111xxxxx999@toronto.voip.ms) on LINE CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber,
LINE CallForwardOnNoAnswerEnable clicked
ITSP Profile B X_SpoofCallerID clicked

It all works, except the forwarding of the CID.

THanks

Yes, those are the parameters I have set. Except I use the dallas server, not toronto. I have U.S. AT&T PSTN service.  I have the Line Port RingDelay : 2500 (the default is 4000 but 2500 allows the phone to ring faster and still allows the callerid to be obtained.  In my case 2000 was too short).  If you're getting callerid in the Obi call history on the inbound call, I would think you'd be good to go with whatever you have it set at. Shouldn't matter but I have LINE Port CallForwardOnNoAnswerRingCount : 5.

Another option that came to me.  I set up another voip.ms subaccount (I already had 2, one for each Obi).  Let's say it's Username aaaaaa_555 and the Internal Extension is 10555 where aaaaaa is the primary account number.  Set Internal Extension VoiceMail to the appropriate mailbox. Set the Internal Extension Ringing Time to 1 second (don't think it matters, but it may).  Don't register a device to this subaccount.  
Then use sp2(10555) on LINE CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber. It goes directly to voicemail because there's nothing registered to it (and maybe the ring delay of 1 second). This seems to work for me just as well as the virtual sip number. The subaccount is free and there is no per minute charge (not that either would break my bank).  Maybe, for whatever reason, you will get callerid in the mailbox using this method since it's an "internal call" and not a sip url.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

hwittenb

Dani,

I also did some additional testing sending the forwarded call to the voip.ms sip uri number.  The caller id is definetly going out with the settings described however voip.ms is changing it in their CDR records to my voip.ms account setting.  I can't figure out why.  It's failing some voip.ms test.  I'll work trying to find out the reason.

dani

RonR: thanks for checking. It seems my settings are correct.

infin8loop: good idea to try with a subaccount. Will test it during daytime. I always imagined subaccounts needed a registered device to operate.

hwittenb: interesting to know it's not a goof in my setup, but rather something on voip.ms side. Maybe the "reverse" the spoofing?

Thanks all again...

UPDATE:
I tried with a subaccount. It forwarded fine, the billing was 0 as expected, but voip.ms didn't let itself get spoofed.
I checked in 3 places: CDR, email, mailbox readback, and all had the Obi nr. Bummer

dani

I had the following exchange with voip.ms support:

ME:
I programmed my ATA to forward No-answer or Busy PSTN incoming calls to a voip.ms extension connected to a mailbox.
I also programmed the ATA to "spoof" the called id with the info from the incoming call, so the voicemail has the proper caller data.
The forwarding and voicemail works fine, but voip.ms CDR and voicemail shows those forwarded calls and voicemails as being originated by me, instead of the ID of the forwarded call.
Is there a way to modify my settings at voip.ms so the original caller data is recorded?

VOIP.MS:
You will be able to select the Caller ID override, please note that the call forwarding is an outgoing call from our system, so the caller ID displayed will be the one you set on the Caller ID override.
Please check our article here: http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Call_Forwarding

So... nothing new.

Just to try something different, i changed CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber to tg4(109) and Trunk Group4>TrunkList to sp2. Hoping to be able to have wider syntax options (maybe $1) in the digitmap, but so far haven't found the right setup.

RonR

Quote from: dani on April 16, 2012, 11:09:51 AM
Just to try something different, i changed CallForwardOnNoAnswerNumber to tg4(109) and Trunk Group4>TrunkList to sp2.

It's unlikely that using a Trunk Group will help matters.  Trunk Groups are simply a way of specifying multiple trunks to use in case one of them is busy.

hwittenb

More testing today.  Reviewing my notes from January, at that time, with the settings discussed, I could forward calls to the landline attached to my OBi to voip.ms and they would pickup the original caller id from the forwarded call.  Now they do not do that, they substitute.  They changed something.  I ran some additonal tests using another provider, CallCentric.  You can forward sip uri calls to your CallCentric number by using their "Call Treatments".  You forward to cc#@in.callcentric.com.  If you forward a call to your CallCentric number to your voip.ms virtual number then voip.ms will pickup the original caller id from the call to your CallCentric number.  In other words they accept the pass thru by CallCentric.

If you take that a step further and forward (by sip uri) the calls to your OBi attached landline to your CallCentric number which is forward to your voip.ms virtual number then the original caller id is passed thru the chain and accepted by voip.ms.

My conclusion is that voip.ms is looking for something unique to ata's in the Sip Invite sent by  OBi's call forwarding that is not contained in Sip Invite sent by CallCentric to voip.ms.

infin8loop

Have you tried using just the voip.ms "Internal Extension Number" associated to the subaccount? Something like sp2(10555) instead of the sip url sp2(aaaaaa555@toronto.voip.ms).  Where 10555 is the "Internal Extension Number" associated to subaccount aaaaaa_555 and no device is registered to the subaccount?  This of course assumes sp2 on the Obi is registered to voip.ms.
This keeps the inbound callerid id intact for me.  But then again, using the virtual sip number in a sip url also works for me as well.

dani, check your "My Messages".  I can't guarantee I can get to the bottom of why this doesn't work for you and it works for me.  Maybe I'm talking oranges and you all are reading apples. I figure if I start getting spam calls I can just kill the IPKall number. LOL

I need a new hobby. Curling. Yeah, that's it. Curling. That ought to work out just great in Texas.  Just shoot me now.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

hwittenb

With some more testing I finally got my OBi110 working with an inbound pstn line call simultaneously ringing the voip.ms sip virtual number using the Line Port inbound call routing {SP2(11xxxxxx001@sip.voip.ms),ph} and voip.ms properly picks up the original caller id.  When I shifted to using the call forward entries none of them work at all with a number in sip uri format.

Changes I made from the original testing:
1.  I could not have SP2 registered to voip.ms.  It had to be to someone else.
2.  I removed all my caller id override settings on voip.ms (main account, sub_accounts).
3.  I repowered the OBi110 (remove power cord, reinsert it).

After I did the above, the caller id function started working correctly with voip.ms.  I don't know if they all are really required.

dani

hwittenb:

We did some tests with infin8loop, and realized the caller id override on voip.ms was the culprit. Consistent with your tests too.

Removing it fixes this, but messes up outgoing calls. Now the Obi must pass our own nr to voip.ms. Looking at how to do that.

Haven't gone the fake noanswerforward/delayed forking route yet. First want to see if this method pans out.

Thanks for your help.

hwittenb

Quote from: dani on April 16, 2012, 11:15:56 PMRemoving it fixes this, but messes up outgoing calls. Now the Obi must pass our own nr to voip.ms. Looking at how to do that.
Dani,

I ran some test awhile back and for outgoing calls, most voip providers that authenticate outgoing calls by userid/password do not like spoofed ids for the caller id and as part of the authentication process reject the call.  The Betamax companies allowed it, but ignored it and still used what they wanted. 

You find a few cases where providers authenticate on your external ip address and might allow  spoofed caller ids.  Voip.ms has an option on their sub-accounts (sub accounts only) to authenticate by ip address.  Of course, if you set this up you either need a static ip address or one that almost never changes.  If you have the latter and your ip address changes you need to be aware why your outgoing calls suddenly stopped working.

hwittenb

Dani,

Here is an voip.ms approach that I just tested and at least for now it works.

Setup a new voip.ms subaccount and specify your preferred caller id for outgoing calls, but leave the main account and other subaccounts caller id blank.  Make your outgoing calls with this subaccount.  I tested it by registering the subaccount under SP2.   

Then call forward or use inbound routing for the call forward to your voip.ms main account using a sip uri.  The main account doesn't have a substitution caller id specified.  I tested using the Line Port inbound routing.

I also tested it by putting the voip.ms subaccount under one of the Gateways and outbound calling thru that.  That's what I did first and it worked, so then I tried it directly under SP2.

I'd swear I had almost the same thing yesterday and absolutely wouldn't work this way so something is pretty touchy with voip.ms regarding the settings.

dani

I have an Linksys 2102 hanging on the main acct.
Will move it to a new sub-acct, clean up the setting of the main acct and try again.

It looks like voip.ms is using the contents of these settings in more places than advertised.

Thanks

Novice

Quote from: RonR on April 13, 2012, 09:46:14 PM
The OBi doesn't support MWI through the LINE Port.

Is there any fundamental reason why it can't, or is this something that could and should be added?