News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

If I make a call, i.e. within 14 miles of home, I get charged via Verizon zone 3

Started by mike_forum, April 14, 2012, 11:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_forum

Hello,

If I make a call less than 14 miles from my home, I have received a charge of approximately 4 - 10 cents per minute.

Please help.  Is this correct.  I am calling with my google voice line via obi 110 hardware device.

Thanks,

RonR

If you're using Google Voice, Verizon would have no knowledge of your call and couldn't possibly charge you.

Most likely, you have your OBi's PrimaryLine set to PSTN Line instead of SP1 Service and your calls are using the LINE Port (PSTN Line : Verizon) instead of Google Voice.

This can be confirmed by reviewing the OBi Call History.

Verify that you have the following setting in your OBi:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service.

The alternative is to dial **1 + number which will override the PrimaryLine setting and use SP1 (Google Voice).

mike_forum

Hello,

How do I verify and check the following:

The alternative is to dial **1 + number which will override the PrimaryLine setting and use SP1 (Google Voice).

When I try **1  951-2##-####.  I just get there is no service to complete call.

Thanks.

RonR

Quote from: mike_forum on April 14, 2012, 11:54:39 AM
When I try **1  951-2##-####.  I just get there is no service to complete call.

It appears your OBi may be totally unconfigured at factory defaults.  In this state, an OBi sends all calls out the LINE Port to the PSTN Line (Verizon in your case).

Quote from: mike_forum on April 14, 2012, 11:54:39 AM
How do I verify and check the following:

If you use the OBiTALK Web Portal : OBi Expert Configuration (Introduction)

You can just as easily configure your OBi manually (all other settings at Default):

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Google Voice on SP1:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

where aaa is your local area code.

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Remember to click Submit at the bottom of any page you make changes to.

Click Reboot in the upper right corner after all changes have been made.

mike_forum

Hello,
How do I get to the screen to make changes.

When I dial ***1 on the phone.
I get your IP address is not availabe.
your DHCP is enabled.

Thanks.

RonR

Quote from: mike_forum on April 14, 2012, 12:40:45 PM
How do I get to the screen to make changes.

When I dial ***1 on the phone.
I get your IP address is not availabe.
your DHCP is enabled.

In that case, your OBi is either not connected to your router or not successfully getting an IP from the router.

You might try another Ethernet cable or another Ethernet jack on your router.

mike_forum

Hello,

Your suggestion worked.

I tried the different ethernet port on router, and was able to get IP address.

I think that I am closer,

However I get the screen asking for user name and password. What are these values.

Thanks.

RonR

The default username/password is admin/admin from factory defaults.

If you are going to configure the OBi manually, you should also remove it from the OBiTALK Web Portal to avoid further conflicts.  You can then ensure the OBi is starting out at factory defaults by pressing and holding the reset button for 30 seconds that's accessible though the bottom of the OBi (the hole with a circle around it).

mike_forum

Hello,

I want to make sure I am clear.

If I set the following.  I will not get local calls 12 -  15 miles charged to verizion.

thanks.

You can just as easily configure your OBi manually (all other settings at Default):

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Google Voice on SP1:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

where aaa is your local area code.

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Remember to click Submit at the bottom of any page you make changes to.

Click Reboot in the upper right corner after all changes have been made.

RonR

The configuration I suggested will send all outgoing calls to Google Voice by default.  Verizon will have no knowledge of any of them.

Incoming calls from Verizon will still ring the OBi PHONE Port.

To make an outgoing call using Verizon instead of Google Voice, dial : **8 + number.

Stewart

After setting everything up, you can check the OBi Call History to confirm that your calls are going out on Google Voice.  Or, call your cell phone and check that it shows your GV number and not your Verizon number.  Or, dial 1-800-437-7950 and confirm that "calling ANI" is your GV number.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: mike_forum on April 14, 2012, 01:33:05 PMYou can just as easily configure your OBi manually (all other settings at Default):

mike_forum, I strongly advise you NOT to do this until you understand what you are giving up by doing this.  Unfortunately, the guy who's "helping" you is biased against the use of the OBiTALK portal, but he never explains to new users the pros and cons of using the portal.  At a minimum, I suggest you read this thread:

Pros and Cons of using OBiTALK Provisioning and OBiTALK portal for configuration

Note that you can accomplish everything you need to do from the OBi Expert Configuration mode of the OBiTALK portal.  Note also that the person who is "helping" you has so far declined to post any coherent explanation of why he so dislikes the OBiTALK portal, nor why he steers new users away from it without explanation.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

mike_forum

I want to say Thanks to everyone for all their time and assistance.

The obi settings that were provided made the calls work perfectly.

setting everything up, you can check the OBi Call History to confirm that your calls are going out on Google Voice.  Or, call your cell phone and check that it shows your GV number and not your Verizon number.  Or, dial 1-800-437-7950 and confirm that "calling ANI" is your GV number.   -  This also verified google voice number.

Thank you !!

RonR

Quote from: mike_forum on April 14, 2012, 03:35:25 PM
The obi settings that were provided made the calls work perfectly.

If you now go to:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration (check : Use OBi Version)

and save your configuration to a file, you'll be able to restore it by simply using:

System Management -> Device Update -> Restore Configuration

should you ever need to.  You will have to manually re-enter passwords, as they're not saved in the backup file.

jimates

RonR,

Why don't you furnish some common configurations and variations with backup files so they can just configure the device by installing the file.

There is endless possibilities but there are also some really common configurations. Or at least there are some configurations that could be used as basic starters, and then customized by the user under direction from the forum.