News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting Up Caller ID shown Name and Number on OBI110 !!! HELP

Started by zen2, April 14, 2012, 06:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babobi

IT WORKS!!! Finally! Caller ID with NAME! Thanks pc44!

Question: If down the road I want to change my service provider from Callcentric to Anveo, can I use the same configuration you described? Because it looks like Callcentric has a 100 number limit cap to block and reroute callers, whereas I'm told Anveo has unlimited call blocking. Also, Callcentric does not offer live phone support, which is irksome, and when they respond to a problem, it's not even a personal reply, just a robo reply with a bunch of links attached that I have to sift thru and figure out on my own.

Thanks again pc44, I owe you bigtime, buddy!

pc44

Hey babobi,

That is great to hear!!!  I'm not sure about Anveo's setup.  I imagine it would be the same general idea with different specifics, i.e. AuthUsername, Password, etc.  However, someone else here using Anveo would know more.  If you decide to switch to Anveo, just ask in the forum, and I'm sure someone will help.

Glad you got it resolved,
pc44

jimates

Does forwarding to CC for CNAM create any extra delay in delivery to the Obi phone port. I don't want to decrease my time to answer before google picks up.

1 - Google forwards call
2 - CC (or whomever) waits for delivery of cid (between 1st and 2nd ring) before sending call to Obi
3 - Obi waits for delivery of cid (between 1st and 2nd ring) before delivering the call to the phone port.

It seems like 2 rings are already gone before the phone actually rings and google picks up after 4.

QBZappy

jimates,

In that case make OBi ring without any delay since CC sends CID on the 1st ring.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

Quote from: QBZappy on July 10, 2012, 08:39:24 AM
jimates,

In that case make OBi ring without any delay since CC sends CID on the 1st ring.
But all my calls originate at GV, so by forwarding to CC from GV would there be any increased delay. Theoretically there would be, just asking since I know others use this setup.

QBZappy

jimates,

I suppose you might be correct. All this call forwarding must have a cost.

Only one way to find out how many rings/seconds this set up costs. Anyone with GV->CC->Obi setup willing to try using a cell phone and count the rings on the cell phone before it hits the OBi?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

infin8loop

Quote from: QBZappy on July 10, 2012, 10:54:18 AM
jimates,

Only one way to find out how many rings/seconds this set up costs. Anyone with GV->CC->Obi setup willing to try using a cell phone and count the rings on the cell phone before it hits the OBi?

With GV setup to ring a free Callcentric NY DID instead of Google Chat and calling the GV number on my cellphone:

cellphone ringback tone:       1   2   3   4   5voicemail  
OBi connected phone ring:      1   2   3   4

And I've also had:
cellphone ringback tone:       1   2   3   4   5voicemail  
OBi connected phone ring:               1   2   3voicemail already grabbed call

In the minimal testing I've done, it seems inconsistent.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

tome

Quote from: QBZappy on July 10, 2012, 10:54:18 AM
jimates,

I tried 10 test calls, I get my house phone starting to ring at the tail end of the second ring that I hear on the cell phone.

Also, google voice picks up at the beginning (right at the beginning) of 4 rings of my house phone which seems to be after 5 rings on the cell phone.

It is a little short, but I haven't even thought about it in the several months I have been using it.  Would be nice if GV gave an option for number of rings before VM answer...

Tom

JohnBowler

I just tested forward to an inum from GV: no, not allowed.  GV states "country of forwarding phone is not your country"; peculiar, because I didn't think I owned a country.  Leaving aside the tortured english that basically means they won't forward to a +883 number anywhere in the world, which, I guess, is one reason for not using GV (unless you think inums are a bad idea.)

I also verified voip.ms's charges for DiD; they're USD.01/minute for the call centers local to me.  That's not a whole lot for me (basically $0), but I guess if you get incoming 24x7 that's $460/month, so expensive even compared to US telcos ($40-$80/month if you are careful.)

Still, at this point I'm tempted to ditch Google Talk for DiD and switch to voip.ms - for me this is USD.99/month for the number, USD.001/unit (1/10th of a minute) for calls and it has the real advantage that I can use the GV call screening (which does not work with Google Talk/Obi202).  CNAM is USD.008/query, which is 8 call units, which is probably not worth it given the GV call screening which is much better than CNAM!

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>

bjmjpl

hi i would like to do the same thing for my parents - i bought them an obi 110 and got them a free call centric number bec they need 911 and want name caller id...

what happens when the forwarded call to call centric comes in and no one answers?  does callcentric have voicemail translation via email?  if no, is there a way to route it back to gv? (creating an infinite loop of horror :)

otherwise i may suggest to them to forgo the name caller id in lew of the transcription benefit - unless i am misunderstanding something?

other note >> i might actually do this for myself as for a small fee i will get the ability to use my own transcription service which is much better than google voice for no cost as cc has a way to email your vm as an attachment...!!

tome

Quote from: bjmjpl on July 15, 2012, 01:02:50 PM
hi i would like to do the same thing for my parents - i bought them an obi 110 and got them a free call centric number bec they need 911 and want name caller id...

what happens when the forwarded call to call centric comes in and no one answers?  does callcentric have voicemail translation via email?  if no, is there a way to route it back to gv? (creating an infinite loop of horror :)

otherwise i may suggest to them to forgo the name caller id in lew of the transcription benefit - unless i am misunderstanding something?

other note >> i might actually do this for myself as for a small fee i will get the ability to use my own transcription service which is much better than google voice for no cost as cc has a way to email your vm as an attachment...!!

If no one answers GV vmail picks up as normal.
-Tom

bjmjpl

Quote from: tome on July 15, 2012, 02:13:22 PM

-Tom

if we forward incoming calls to cc to get the callerid how does gv pick up the voicemail??

jimates

Quote from: bjmjpl on July 15, 2012, 02:18:36 PM
Quote from: tome on July 15, 2012, 02:13:22 PM

-Tom

if we forward incoming calls to cc to get the callerid how does gv pick up the voicemail??
If GOOGLE VOICE forwards the call to CC, and the call is not answered, yes eventually google voice voicemail will pick up.

bjmjpl

oh okay so gv will pick up after 30 seconds no matter what?  so if i set the cc vm to disable everything goes to gv and is transcribed and they will get the name cid?

thank you all for all your help - great forum!!

bjmjpl

So i just tried to do this twice on my obi202...using the direct ip address config page from callcentric and doing it that way...

my changes after i submit all 3 sections do not save...

they are there and i can check them, until i reboot - when i reboot some of them are there and some arent like the names and passwords have all reverted back...

am i doing something wrong...??

bjmjpl

ok seems i was reading the disable autoprovisioning wrong so once i did more research and disabled that in 2 areas it saved my changes and now my cc number is registered...

however when i call it from another phone it just rings busy....??

bjmjpl

ok now i am stuck again :(

The CC number 777xxx they tell me does not connect to the regular phone network.  From what i have read on the thread people are not paying CC anything for their numbers so am i doing something wrong?

GV says it cannot forward to this number bec it is not the country of origin?

What has everyone been using to set this up?

thank you!

QBZappy

bjmjpl,

People are using CC to get free CName and perhaps 911 (911 has small monthly charge). The DID number CC gives you is free for incoming calls. If you intend to make outgoing calls you need to pay for the service.

bjmjpl

Apparantly i had signed up for an ip freedom number not the free number...ahhhh....the things that grind you down for a couple days... :)

SUCCESS!!!!!

with the help of this forum i was able to:
gv with sp1 -
cc with totally free number on sp2
CNAME for my gv line with the free cc number
and....
have CC with their FREE VM pick up after 15 rings and collect the vm and send to my other transcription service an an mp3 attachment AND the original call number.

TOTAL SUCCESS!!!!!

only lingering issue is i can confirm the inconsistency with how many rings you receive which necessitated the drop to 15 seconds for CC to pick up the vm...sometimes it would catch with longer intervals and sometimes GV would...

thank you all again!