News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SipGate not receiving audio for inbound calls

Started by daluu, March 22, 2012, 11:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daluu

Just set up an OBi today. Got GV working, hopefully it will always ring GV incoming calls, but will see, I heard there can be issues there.

Anyhow, want to set up SipGate as backup for receiving inbound calls. It says SipGate registered and it can receive calls, but on answer, I get one way audio path. Don't receive any audio nor DTMF, but can send audio and DTMF to other party.

Using default Obi config. What changes might need to be made to get 2 way audio? Also didn't try any firmware update. How to check current firmware and if need update?

RonR

Quote from: daluu on March 22, 2012, 11:21:56 PM
It says SipGate registered and it can receive calls, but on answer, I get one way audio path. Don't receive any audio nor DTMF, but can send audio and DTMF to other party.

Using default Obi config. What changes might need to be made to get 2 way audio?

One way audio problems are often router related.  If possible, temporarily connect the OBi directly to your modem, bypassing your router.  Power cycle both the modem and OBi after making the direct connection.  First verify that you can still reach the echo test at **9 222 222 222.  Then test your Sipgate service.  If the problem is gone, your router is likely the culprit.  If the problem persists, then your router is obviously not the source.

Quote from: daluu on March 22, 2012, 11:21:56 PM
Also didn't try any firmware update. How to check current firmware and if need update?

Dial : ***6

daluu

Thanks for reply Ron, but seems interesting that GV works fine 2-way audio, would think if have issues, both would have it.

I do see your point though, but I've also worked for a PBX vendor and know that sometimes SIP codecs and other settings can affect such audio and connection issues as well.

Also regarding the debugging of router being issue, what if one has an integrated modem + router device? That's quite common in the US where I'm from. I don't think there's a way to bypass router in that case as the router is also the modem. It's a 2Wire 3600HGV cobranded for AT&T.

RonR

Google Voice uses XMPP protocol whereas Sipgate use SIP protocol, so the two don't always exhibit the same symptoms.

You might try forwarding ports 16600 - 16998 to the OBi and see if that corrects your one-way audio.

daluu

Thanks, I'll give that a try if I can forward the ports.

Didn't know XMPP supported audio. I know it was used for instant messaging, most popularly used for Jabber in the open source space.

Wonder why I'm the only one with one way audio issues though and others instead report trouble registering to SipGate...

RonR

Quote from: daluu on March 23, 2012, 05:26:24 PM
Didn't know XMPP supported audio.

RTP is used for the audio in both cases, but the coordination is different between XMPP and SIP signalling protocols.

Quote from: daluu on March 23, 2012, 05:26:24 PM
Wonder why I'm the only one with one way audio issues though and others instead report trouble registering to SipGate...

There's a bunch of ways for RTP audio to get into trouble with SIP and NAT routers.

Do you have a STUN server configured on ITSP Profile B?  Sometimes that will help in addition to the port forwarding.  I use both in every VoIP installation, along with Tomato firmware in the routers, and haven't seen an audio issue in a long long time.

Leoli

Have you fix the problem? I have same issue with 3600HGV and sipgate. sipgate only have one way audio path.
Please help to post the solution. Thanks.

Lynx

Using a STUN server like RonR mentioned usually resolves one-way audio issues. It doesn't have to be from your provider, but Sipgate happens to have one: stun.sipgate.net

Others: stun.phonepower.com, stun.ideasip.com, stun.callwithus.com

Under ITSP Profile A General (or Profile B), check the STUNEnable checkbox and enter one of the STUN servers above in the STUNServer field.

Let us know if that works for you. If it doesn't, you'll likely need to do port forwarding on your router.

Leoli

Hi, Lynx,
Thanks for your information, I tried to enter "OBI Expert Configuration" menu to do ISTP Profile B gerenal configure. I did as your said, and in "SP2 Service", I added username and password. then I back to dash board, I found my SP2 still shows didn't configure. Could you please give me more information? Thanks.

Leoli

Hi, Lynx,

I found that my sigate SIP works now. I need first setup sigpate, then enable STUN server as your said. Thank your great help.