News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Direct IP (Peer to Peer) Dialing

Started by N2VWZ, April 17, 2012, 11:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N2VWZ

I'm presently using a SPA-2000 in a private peer to peer network.  The SPA-2000 is configured to "Make Calls Without Registration" and "Receive Calls Without Registration" in the Proxy and Registration section under the Line 1 Tab.

Direct IP dialing is performed (xxxx@n2vwz.dyndns.org) through speed Dial settings.

I would like to replace the SPA-2000 with an Obi202 to take advantage of the Google Voice capability, but I could not find configuration settings the equivalent to those presently in use on the SPA-2000 in the Obi Administration guide.

Does the Obi202 support Peer to Peer Direct IP Dialing without registration to make and receive calls as the SPA-2000 does?  Where are the settings that allow calls to be dialed and received without registration?

Ostracus

Someone could answer better but I think a gateway could do the trick.

RonR

Quote from: N2VWZ on April 17, 2012, 11:14:04 AM
Does the Obi202 support Peer to Peer Direct IP Dialing without registration to make and receive calls as the SPA-2000 does?  Where are the settings that allow calls to be dialed and received without registration?

Yes.  Any OBi can make and receive calls using SIP URI's.  No special settings are required other than having at least one SPx Service configured for SIP.

RFord

Without the use of STUN and/or SIP Port Forwarding on the Router, isn't it likely that there will be no audio/one-way audio?

Quote from: RonR on April 17, 2012, 11:31:01 AM

Yes.  Any OBi can make and receive calls using SIP URI's.  No special settings are required other than having at least one SPx Service configured for SIP.

RonR

Quote from: RFord on April 17, 2012, 11:38:19 AM
Without the use of STUN and/or SIP Port Forwarding on the Router, isn't it likely that there will be no audio/one-way audio?

That's the case with any ATA.  Why would an OBi be any different?

N2VWZ

I wasn't able to get the Obi100 to do direct IP dialing, but It is behind the NAT and was not aware of the WAN IP address.  The SPA-2000 is also behind the NAT, but I have the external IP parameter configured to the WAN IP address.  The OBI100 does not have external IP configuration parameter support.

The OBI202 has router capability so it can be connected directly to the WAN.  This eliminates the need for external IP parameter configuration. The only other features that are needed is the capability of sending and receiving calls without registration.  The SPA-2000 has configuration parameters for this function.  No info is provided for the Obi202 in this area.

I need to run in a stand alone peer to peer mode with no other server connections.  The present Peer to Peer network contains a mixture of Sipura SPA-2000 and SPA-3000 boxes.  All communication is direct.  There are no STUN servers involved and there is no registration.  Will the Obi202 work under these conditions??

RonR

With no service provider configured on an OBi110/100...

I'm able to use Speed Dials (or the keypad) to make outgoing calls via SIP URI:

SP2(18005551212@sip.tollfreegateway.com)
SP2(18005551212@76.10.223.207)
SP2(883510000000091@sip.inum.net)
SP2(883510000000091@81.201.82.25)

And I'm able to receive incoming calls from DID's via SIP URI:

xxxxx@ronr.dyndns.org

There should be no reason an OBi202 can't do the same thing.

N2VWZ

Quote from: RonR on April 17, 2012, 12:58:39 PM
With no service provider configured on an OBi110/100...

I'm able to use Speed Dials (or the keypad) to make outgoing calls via SIP URI:

SP2(18005551212@sip.tollfreegateway.com)
SP2(18005551212@76.10.223.207)
SP2(883510000000091@sip.inum.net)
SP2(883510000000091@81.201.82.25)

And I'm able to receive incoming calls from DID's via SIP URI:

xxxxx@ronr.dyndns.org

There should be no reason an OBi202 can't do the same thing.

Ron,  I've tried configuring my Obi100 exactly as you have, without success.  I believe that the reason for failure is because the Obi100 is behind the NAT and has no knowledge of the WAN IP address.  The SPA2000 works because the EXT IP parameter programmed with the WAN IP address.  The OBi100 has no EXT IP parameter for setting the WAN IP.

Is your Obi equipment connected directly to the WAN or is it behind a NAT?

Jim

Ostracus

Has anyone checked to see if this is still true for the Obi202?

RonR

Quote from: N2VWZ on April 18, 2012, 08:13:49 AM
Ron,  I've tried configuring my Obi100 exactly as you have, without success.  I believe that the reason for failure is because the Obi100 is behind the NAT and has no knowledge of the WAN IP address.  The SPA2000 works because the EXT IP parameter programmed with the WAN IP address.  The OBi100 has no EXT IP parameter for setting the WAN IP.

My OBi's are behind a NAT router.

Do you have SIP (5060-5061) and RTP (16600-16998) ports forwarded in your router to the OBi's LAN IP address?

RonR

Quote from: Ostracus on April 18, 2012, 08:28:46 AM
Has anyone checked to see if this is still true for the Obi202?

Why wouldn't it be?

Ostracus

Opportunity to clean up their code for one. Ability to use all four for GV* and still use SIP URLs, as corner case as that may sound.

*Maybe in the future Skype.

N2VWZ

Quote from: RonR on April 18, 2012, 09:15:57 AM

My OBi's are behind a NAT router.

Do you have SIP (5060-5061) and RTP (16600-16998) ports forwarded in your router to the OBi's LAN IP address?

SIP is forwarded, but RTP is not.  I didn't need to forward RTP with the Sipura SPA-2000.

If you are behind a router, how does the Obi correcty configure the SIP packets without knowledge of the WAN IP address?

RonR

Quote from: N2VWZ on April 18, 2012, 12:02:37 PM
SIP is forwarded, but RTP is not.  I didn't need to forward RPT with the Sipura SPA-2000.

If you are behind a router, how does the Obi correcty configure the SIP packets without knowledge of the WAN IP address?

Even though it's not always necessary, I always make a habit of forwarding SIP and RTP ports to the ATA just to preclude future problems.

The OBi is able to determine your public IP address using a STUN server.  I use PAP2's also, along with a STUN server, and have never used the EXT IP setting.  Unless you have a static IP address, EXT IP will be problematic, whereas a STUN server will always obtain your correct public IP address.

Felix

The SPA2000 works because the EXT IP parameter programmed with the WAN IP address.  The OBi100 has no EXT IP parameter for setting the WAN IP.
EXT IP in SPA devices serve very narrow purpose, according to Cisco's administration guide:
If the ITSP network does not provide a Session Border Controller functionality, and if other requirements are met, you can configure NAT mapping to ensure interoperability with the ITSP.
Requirements:

• You must have an external (public) IP address that is static.
  • The NAT mechanism used in the router must be symmetric. See "Determining the Router's NAT Mechanism"
  • The LAN switch must be configured to enable Spanning Tree Protocol and Port Fast on the ports to which the SPA devices are connected.
Per docs, if you are using EXT IP, you should disable STUN and enable VIA, Which is completely counter-intuitive given that STUN fields are in the middle between VIA and EXT IP.

So, I doubt that EXT IP setting has any effect on your SPA2000. I had it myself, assuming - just like you - that it is needed for direct dialing. Then I figured out how to do it, and then removed EXT IP value (or rather, my dynamic IP changed, so the value was obviously incorrect - so I cleared it) and it continued working.

N2VWZ

Quote from: Felix on April 18, 2012, 01:07:51 PM
The SPA2000 works because the EXT IP parameter programmed with the WAN IP address.  The OBi100 has no EXT IP parameter for setting the WAN IP.
EXT IP in SPA devices serve very narrow purpose, according to Cisco's administration guide:
If the ITSP network does not provide a Session Border Controller functionality, and if other requirements are met, you can configure NAT mapping to ensure interoperability with the ITSP.
Requirements:

• You must have an external (public) IP address that is static.
  • The NAT mechanism used in the router must be symmetric. See “Determining the Router’s NAT Mechanism”
  • The LAN switch must be configured to enable Spanning Tree Protocol and Port Fast on the ports to which the SPA devices are connected.
Per docs, if you are using EXT IP, you should disable STUN and enable VIA, Which is completely counter-intuitive given that STUN fields are in the middle between VIA and EXT IP.

So, I doubt that EXT IP setting has any effect on your SPA2000. I had it myself, assuming - just like you - that it is needed for direct dialing. Then I figured out how to do it, and then removed EXT IP value (or rather, my dynamic IP changed, so the value was obviously incorrect - so I cleared it) and it continued working.

"If the ITSP network does not provide a Session Border Controller functionality" In my case, there is no ITSP - This is Peer to Peer Communications.

My circled in red settings are all set to NO.  It would be nice not to have to deal with Ext IP every time my WAN address changes.  I will play around with this tonight.

I don't understand what the VIA settings do - Are copies of the Cisco Administration Guide for the SPA-2000 available?  Do you know if any firmware updates are available?  I called Cisco / Linksys a few years ago and said nothing was available.

Jim

Felix

Quote from: N2VWZ on April 18, 2012, 03:51:36 PM
My circled in red settings are all set to NO.  It would be nice not to have to deal with Ext IP every time my WAN address changes.  I will play around with this tonight.

I don't understand what the VIA settings do - Are copies of the Cisco Administration Guide for the SPA-2000.  Do you know if any firmware updates are available?  I called Cisco / Linksys a few years ago and said nothing was available.

Jim
That's my point exactly. My understanding is if VIA is set to no, then the value in EXT IP is ignored. As I said earlier, it's not very intuitive. Take a look at the admin guide here.

Firmware has been recently update as well. I just realized that my model is 3102 rather than 2102 (it doesn't change anything that I said... the only difference is PSTN line, of course). But firmware is different for different models. Start here.

NOTE: Obviously, I realize that it is OBiHAI forum, and I don't want to take the conversation into a discussion of competing products (even though, I am sure, SPA adapters are near and dear to OBiHai founder's heart). On any other day I'd suggest that we continue this conversation on DSL Reports. But, unfortunately, DSLR suffered a major outage yesterday. So, if moderators object - I understand.

N2VWZ

Quote from: Felix on April 18, 2012, 04:42:39 PM

That's my point exactly. My understanding is if VIA is set to no, then the value in EXT IP is ignored. As I said earlier, it's not very intuitive. Take a look at the admin guide here.

Firmware has been recently update as well. I just realized that my model is 3102 rather than 2102 (it doesn't change anything that I said... the only difference is PSTN line, of course). But firmware is different for different models. Start here.

NOTE: Obviously, I realize that it is OBiHAI forum, and I don't want to take the conversation into a discussion of competing products (even though, I am sure, SPA adapters are near and dear to OBiHai founder's heart). On any other day I'd suggest that we continue this conversation on DSL Reports. But, unfortunately, DSLR suffered a major outage yesterday. So, if moderators object - I understand.

Felix,

I ran some tests last night.  I set the VIA parameters to Yes and deleted the Ext IP entry.  With this configuration I was able to ring phones in both directions, but no voice connection could be established in either direction.

This was expected because the SPA2000 behind a NAT has no knowledge of the WAN IP address and cannot properly format the SIP packets.

We're not completely off topic since we are trying to replace a Sipura product that is no longer available with a new Obihai product.  This is a discussion of compatibility issues.

There's not presently any support for Ext IP in any of the Obihai products.  I'd like to see this feature added, or preferably, support for Ext URL instead of Ext IP.  Ext URL would handle dynamically changing IP addresses and provide a simple solution to NAT transversal without resorting to a third party STUN server.

Felix

Frankly, I have no idea what VIA does  ???

All I am saying is that I assumed that EXT IP helps STUN to communicate WAN IP address, and I found out that STUN doesn't need any help. So, I removed EXT IP and it had no bad effect. In fact, in the end I was able to direct connect (both connection and voice) by just forwarding SIP and RTP ports on the router.

I played with direct dialing a month ago, but now all my adapters are serving friends and family and are registered to VSP. And I have several VoIP devices at home - so I am very nervous to forward RTP ports to one of them. So, I don't have equipment to test at this time...

RonR

Quote from: Felix on April 19, 2012, 10:00:45 AM
And I have several VoIP devices at home - so I am very nervous to forward RTP ports to one of them. So, I don't have equipment to test at this time...

I have multiple devices on the same LAN.  I give each of them their own unique block of RTP ports and forward each block to the appropriate device's LAN address.  The prevents any accidental use of the same port by two devices at the same time and allows direct (SIP URI) communications to work with each device.